Game Day: Suns (16-46) @ Grizzlies (37-24), Sun 3/6/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Game Day: Suns (16-46) @ Grizzlies (37-24), Sun 3/6/16

Post by INFORMER »

Simmons is too easily kept out of the game. His ball handling skills are advanced for a big man, but they don't get him anywhere in the halfcourt. Too often he dribbles into defenders and is too content with drifting away from contact and lobbing a very weak floater. He doesn't really excel in the post against any kind of size, strength, or athleticism. He has no range.

Ben Simmons is nowhere near the prospect Wiggins was.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote: Partially cuz I'm afraid Wiggins is just Rudy Gay 2.0.
Wiggins is essentially as good now as Gay has ever been.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote: Partially cuz I'm afraid Wiggins is just Rudy Gay 2.0.
Wiggins is essentially as good now as Gay has ever been.
I wont dispute that. Rudy gay was/is an athletic wing with good size and decent scoring chops that didn't really develop anything else. He averaged 20/6/2 with 1 block and 1.4 steals a game as a 2nd year player. .461/.346/.785 shooting splits. Over the years his 3 pt shot never improved, defensive stats didn't really change, only had some slight improvement in his playmaking. He essentially peaked in year 2 and Wiggins hasn't shown me that he's improving his game either.

Wiggins is averaging 20/4/2 with .6 blocks and 1 steal a game on .452/.278/.753 shooting splits. He's super athletic and a good scorer but hasn't shown any playmaking skills and his rebounding is pretty bad for a 6'8 player. His outside shot is bad and the one thing every one was sure he'd be elite at, defense, he's been underwhelming at. He's still super young and has plenty of time to grow, but he's not a better prospect than Simmons.

Simmons is incredible in transition, very fast in the open court and has very good ball handling skills and great court awareness. He's not great in the half court but he's skilled enough that I think he'll figure it out. Some of his problems will be solved by coming to the NBA. The floor is more spread out, giving him more room to drive. Put a bigger guy on him and he'll take him off the dribble, put a little guy on him and he'll beat him in the post. He's also a great rebounder and can start and finish his own breaks, or create them for others. If he develops even an average jump shot, he's gonna be a nightmare to defend.