Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Suns News: Playoffs Edition

Post by JeremyG »

There's one simple reason why we lost Game 5: we were not ready for their small-ball lineup. If Zubac had played, we probably would have won.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 am
There's one simple reason why we lost Game 5: we were not ready for their small-ball lineup. If Zubac had played, we probably would have won.
I can't totally agree with that. We simply didn't come out focused to put them away. We just thought they'd wilt and give it to us. I mean, yeah, we weren't ready for their small-ball lineup but that's just part of it. We were very slow to adjust and didn't show aggression in getting the job done.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:36 am
Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:35 am

Suns are done. The Clippers own them mentally and physically.
Thank you for doing your job! Phew! I feel much better now about our chances.
ditto!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:57 am
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 am
I can't totally agree with that. We simply didn't come out focused to put them away. We just thought they'd wilt and give it to us. I mean, yeah, we weren't ready for their small-ball lineup but that's just part of it. We were very slow to adjust and didn't show aggression in getting the job done.
Yeah, it was probably both. But if just one of those two things had not occurred (Zubac out or not having urgency to start the game), I think we would have won.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We weren’t ready for their small ball lineup? They used that lineup to beat the Jazz. They started small ball against us in game one. Zubac was injured and they were forced to go to that small ball lineup again. I don’t see any way that the Suns could have been surprised by the small ball lineup.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:12 am
We weren’t ready for their small ball lineup? They used that lineup to beat the Jazz. They started small ball against us in game one. Zubac was injured and they were forced to go to that small ball lineup again. I don’t see any way that the Suns could have been surprised by the small ball lineup.
They started an even smaller lineup than game 1, though (no Batum).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Still, we weren’t ready for their small ball lineup and we should have been ready for their small ball lineup.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ayton naturally lets up when going against smaller guys/not great players. The coaching staff should know that and have done something to motivate him. Maybe tell him a jersey from a conference winning 30-20 game would be something his son would love to wear.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:28 am
Ayton naturally lets up when going against smaller guys/not great players. The coaching staff should know that and have done something to motivate him. Maybe tell him a jersey from a conference winning 30-20 game would be something his son would love to wear.
Or how maybe that next contract isn't locked up just yet. But a Finals appearance and Championship would cement it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Am I the only one who's always hated having assistant coaches interview (and sometimes even be hired by) teams for a head coaching position while they are still coaching in the playoffs for their old team? It has to take away some of their focus on their current team. I just don't like the practice at all.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:16 pm
Am I the only one who's always hated having assistant coaches interview (and sometimes even be hired by) teams for a head coaching position while they are still coaching in the playoffs for their old team? It has to take away some of their focus on their current team. I just don't like the practice at all.
You’re not the only one.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Nobody seemed very motivated while they were falling behind 20-5 in the first quarter.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The only thing that gives me hope for this series is that we haven't lost three games in a row since January.

If it happens now, you would have to call it a choke and chalk it up to inexperience I guess.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:31 pm
Indy wrote:
Nobody seemed very motivated while they were falling behind 20-5 in the first quarter.
Weren't you watching Marcus Morris Sr.?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:56 pm

um Rach, that wasn't a *fall*.

Cap

Post by Cap »

When he "fell" into George's elbow?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ya, what happened with that? I saw the replay of George elbowing Bookers nose and they said they were going to take a look at it and went to commercial break. They come back from commercial and the Clippers are inbounding the ball. No foul? No flagrant? Nothing?

Pfft.