Around the League: Week 24 4/4-4/10

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Week 24 4/4-4/10

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

https://twitter.com/JeffSkversky/status/719232535033720833

Hmmm
Doesn't want to be BC's boss.
I think it was more about getting in and getting out. He isn't looking for another full-time job, and have to be his son's boss. He played it really well.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:

https://twitter.com/JeffSkversky/status/719232535033720833

Hmmm
Doesn't want to be BC's boss.
I think it was more about getting in and getting out. He isn't looking for another full-time job, and have to be his son's boss. He played it really well.
I know BC doesn't want him for a boss. It might have been a condition for signing on. And that was probably fine with JC. I am still convinced he was sent by the league and he has no particular affinity for Philly. So yes, in and out quickly.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Mori Chu wrote:BTW, anybody else watching Spurs/Warriors? This is such a huge game. Currently 22-16, Spurs on top, at the start of the 2nd quarter.
I get the record is history in the making and watching it in the moment is fun and all, but in the scheme of things was it really that big of game? I don't think the Spurs put any extra emphasis on it than they usually do. There was really nothing on the line for either team other than records...and Pop resting Timmy and Diaw showed how much they really cared about their home record.

I know when we were in the midst of our 2005 season when it looked for a time we may have a shot at the wins record (wren't we 31-4 or 31-3 before Nash got hurt?) That I could care less about that. It is different because we have never won a title, but still....
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If it were Stern, I would have said JC was placed there. With Silver, I think sixers ownership (Josh Harris) may have asked the league for suggestions on whom to bring in. I don't think Silver proactively said, "You need to get your house in order and knock off the BS", which what Stern had done in certain situations (Nets, Knicks).

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:If it were Stern, I would have said JC was placed there. With Silver, I think sixers ownership (Josh Harris) may have asked the league for suggestions on whom to bring in. I don't think Silver proactively said, "You need to get your house in order and knock off the BS", which what Stern had done in certain situations (Nets, Knicks).
Right. Only way that happened would be if the other owners got together and told Silver to do that. He is their pawn/employee.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:A true fixer. Get in, do the job quickly while getting your son a job, get out.
Fixed that for you.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:A true fixer. Get in, do the job quickly while getting your son a job, get out.
Fixed that for you.
Meh. How many experienced GMs were available? I thought BC was a strong candidate the last 2-3 times a job came open, so it isn't like hiring Blanks.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Still. If you hire your son, you will always be accused of nepotism. I can't help but notice he also installed fellow Italian Mike D as a top assistant coach. JC is a great dude, but he certainly does take care of the familia first.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:Still. If you hire your son, you will always be accused of nepotism. I can't help but notice he also installed fellow Italian Mike D as a top assistant coach. JC is a great dude, but he certainly does take care of the familia first.
The first rule of leadership is surround yourself with people you can trust.

Second, you can't argue with the qualifications of either decision.

I know i probably sound like I am getting bent out of shape over claims of nepotism, but I'm not. I certainly think familiarity with them played a huge role, but Jerry brought in the best people (in his mind) that were available for those roles.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

So, everyone thinks that the new reports are false that indicate JC recused himself from any discussions about the BC hiring and that he would have been just as happy with Danny Ferry?

carey

Post by carey »

JCSunsfan wrote:So, everyone thinks that the new reports are false that indicate JC recused himself from any discussions about the BC hiring and that he would have been just as happy with Danny Ferry?
Haven't read that yet but if that is the spin then yes. Ferry is a better GM by a wide margin over BC. Well, minus the racism but then again BC has his own personal issues I've heard.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:So, everyone thinks that the new reports are false that indicate JC recused himself from any discussions about the BC hiring and that he would have been just as happy with Danny Ferry?
Haven't read that yet but if that is the spin then yes. Ferry is a better GM by a wide margin over BC. Well, minus the racism but then again BC has his own personal issues I've heard.
I think Ferry's name is still toxic, especially in Philadelphia, which is almost 50% African-American.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
carey wrote:
I think Ferry's name is still toxic, especially in Philadelphia, which is almost 50% African-American.
Exactly.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:How do you honestly think Hinkie has done? Are we judging him on his methods or his outcome? If he had tanked like that but then gotten, say, KAT and Wiggins, would we all be singing his praises?
Singing praises? Probably not. But of course they would be in a better position. I think you judge by both the methods and the outcomes. Philly is a mess, and they may have a lot of picks, but the majority of them are second rounders. They have sucked for three years and they have nothing to show for it. Okafor is an ok prospect. Embiid was such a ridiculously bad decision it's not even funny. Noel doesn't do anything for them.

Saric really has to hit or all of this would have been in vain.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Beware, tough read.
Why do you say that?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Hermen wrote:What about Blatt? Would you be interested in him? I don't think his firing had much to do with his coaching skills.
He had so many embarrassing moments in Cleveland. And his ego and insecurity really turn me off from considering him as a value add.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good to see you around, INF!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mr. Yuk is always welcome here.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:Beware, tough read.
Why do you say that?
I found it a bizarre way to structure what's more a manifesto than a letter. First the how. Then the why. Then the what. Not a lot of real insight (Covington) on the specific decisions made, especially regarding high draft picks and alternatives to what happened. Excessive references to people and works from other fields. Endless quotes.

I'd be seriouly underwhelmed with that letter if I were one of the 76rs owners.

JCSunsfan

Around the League: Week 24 4/4-4/10

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:BC has his own personal issues I've heard.
[/quote]

???