NBA Draft Prospects Discussion

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: NBA Draft Prospects Discussion

Post by carey »

Everyone get familiar with Damian Jones. According to BSotS, Assistant GM Pat Connelly could barely conceal his enthusiasm for his workout today.

This video is prior to his most recent season.

[youtube][/youtube]
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

How could the Suns even get the BKN pick in consecutive years? I thought there was a rule against that. So, they wouldn't even get a pick next year from them.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:Everyone get familiar with Damian Jones. According to BSotS, Assistant GM Pat Connelly could barely conceal his enthusiasm for his workout today.

This video is prior to his most recent season.

[youtube][/youtube]
I like Jones. Just wish he rebounded better.

carey

Post by carey »

I think the fact we are looking at a number of C prospects and are in rumors for Okafor that Len could possibly be on the movie.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:I think the fact we are looking at a number of C prospects and are in rumors for Okafor that Len could possibly be on the movie.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I thought it was a long shot for Len to become an impact player in the NBA on the night he was drafted. It wasn't a bad pick, and I wished we would've taken Noel then and still do now, but Len doesn't do anything at an elite level. The Suns need anything elite right now. Desperately.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Noel isn't anything to write home about either.

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:I think the fact we are looking at a number of C prospects and are in rumors for Okafor that Len could possibly be on the movie.
Are we legit connected to Okafor? Or is it just wishful thinking for some of us?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Noel isn't anything to write home about either.
He's put up better numbers and been more durable than Len. But you're right, neither are paying off for where they were drafted.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

[*]
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Are we legit connected to Okafor? Or is it just wishful thinking for some of us?
I haven't seen anything legit.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Noel isn't anything to write home about either.
He's put up better numbers and been more durable than Len. But you're right, neither are paying off for where they were drafted.
Noel missed his first season, played 72 games the following year, and 67 games last year. Len played 42 games his first season, 69 games the following year, and 78 last year. So... not more durable. Less durable, so far.

Len is an elite rebounder. Good free throw shooter for a big. My eyes say he's a good passer and good at defending the pick and roll. Surprisingly mediocre rim protector. Can't create his own shot. Not a dependable shooter.

Noel is elite in terms of getting steals for a big man. Good rim protector. Can handle the ball on offense, but can't shoot from the free throw line or anywhere else. Probably better as a PF because of his ability to switch on defense and his lack of strength to body up true bigs. Ideally paired next to a stretch 5 like Ellenson.

I bet there are plenty of teams that would be happy to take Len off our hands. Milwaukee, Orlando, Boston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Portland, San Antonio come to mind. I also think there's still untapped potential in Alex. The big problem is his lack of touch inside and his inability (or unwillingness) to get off the ground on defense. And the fact that he's coming up for an extension. If Chandler is here to mentor a young big, you would want that young big to be on a rookie contract. Maybe we trade Alex in and grab a new project for Tyson to groom. Bringing Okafor in would put us in the position of having to trade both Alex and Tyson, IMO. It could be done. I worry about our defense and rebounding with a starting lineup featuring Book, TJ and Okafor. Offense should come easy enough with those three, though. IDK.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Alex was a much better shot blocker and a much more efficient scorer last season. I hope that with a more stable lineup he will get back to those levels. For half the season, teams would load up on him and Book, and just leave the rest of the team alone. And I think he was less aggressive going for blocks because he was in constant foul trouble due to being out of position.

He's not a HOF franchise player, but I think he'll make his shots and get his blocks when he takes a lesser role on the team.

As for having Len and Chandler together, there salaries would overlap for only 2 seasons, and I think Chandler's contract could be a nice trade piece in his final year.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Well, there is a lot of talk on both sites about it. We have the pieces that Philly would want. Not sure if Okafor is a player McD wants. There is alot of merit on both sides, so. . . .

BTW, I have never seen two fan bases be more agreeable about the various pieces of a trade. Not sure that matters.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it would be foolish to give up on Len so soon. Big men take a long time to develop, and Len shows promise. I would trade him if we got a really attractive asset back, but I don't think he has yet shown what he's capable of and am not eager to get rid of him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we're going to end up hating Okafor if we get him. His defense is horrible. He will drive me crazy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Are we going to end up hating Booker? His defense is just as bad. Neither are natural defenders, but I think most of their defensive problems are age and experience related. There is no reason both can't become passable defenders.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

From what I saw of Booker, he was physically overmatched on D but he at least tried and had half-decent instincts. There's enough there IMO to think he'll be a passable defender in time. I haven't seen anything like that with Okafor, albeit I've watched him much less.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:Are we going to end up hating Booker? His defense is just as bad. Neither are natural defenders, but I think most of their defensive problems are age and experience related. There is no reason both can't become passable defenders.
He isn't as bad. Okafor is concerningly bad, and also, on offense he's somewhat of a black hole. I am just not sure that a player like that actually makes a team better.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Split T wrote:Are we going to end up hating Booker? His defense is just as bad. Neither are natural defenders, but I think most of their defensive problems are age and experience related. There is no reason both can't become passable defenders.
He isn't as bad. Okafor is concerningly bad, and also, on offense he's somewhat of a black hole. I am just not sure that a player like that actually makes a team better.
Meh, I don't know how many options Philly had on offense other then give it to Okafor and hope for the best. I'm not saying he'll be a superstar or anything, but I wouldn't judge him too much based on this season.
Last edited by Hermen on Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Pretty sure if we had drafted Jah instead of Booker, nobody here would be complaining about his defense.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Pretty sure if we had drafted Jah instead of Booker, nobody here would be complaining about his defense.
Would be complaining about Booker's defense?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass