Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:Mark West spoke the NY Post about Hornacek and pretty much summed up what we all know about his time as coach here. Thought it was kind of interesting for a FO exec to speak to another beatwriter about a former coach and (more or less) put the blame on the organization.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/24/suns-exec- ... -a-chance/
Interesting in deed. I have always loved Mark West. And the fact he basically said his owner and GM carry most of the blame of what happened, that fits with Mark. He isn't going to sugar coat anything, and he isn't going to tow a party line.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm sure our very mature front office and owner will respect him for calling them out and won't hold this against him for the rest of his life or anything...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:Mark West spoke the NY Post about Hornacek and pretty much summed up what we all know about his time as coach here. Thought it was kind of interesting for a FO exec to speak to another beatwriter about a former coach and (more or less) put the blame on the organization.

Interesting in deed. I have always loved Mark West. And the fact he basically said his owner and GM carry most of the blame of what happened, that fits with Mark. He isn't going to sugar coat anything, and he isn't going to tow a party line.
And is a loyal friend.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

And is a loyal friend.
Yes, but a lot of times when you say a guy is loyal, it means he won't openly criticize you. I think if he thought Jeff did a bad job of handling everything, he wouldn't hold back saying so (albeit in a professional way).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

And is a loyal friend.
Yes, but a lot of times when you say a guy is loyal, it means he won't openly criticize you. I think if he thought Jeff did a bad job of handling everything, he wouldn't hold back saying so (albeit in a professional way).
You say that as if it's a bad thing. I'm just saying he had his friend's back no matter how it could possibly affect his own job and life.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I'm sure our very mature front office and owner will respect him for calling them out and won't hold this against him for the rest of his life or anything...
From what they quoted, I don't think there is much they can hold against him. The entire world already called them out for forcing Jeff into A) Using a 3 PG line up, B) Pissing off Goran and forcing a trade, C)Botching the Keef issue by trading Marcus, D) Firing his assistants out from underneath him. None of that is new. It is just interesting to hear the Suns FO (of which West has been for 16 years) admit that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

And is a loyal friend.
You say that as if it's a bad thing. I'm just saying he had his friend's back no matter how it could possibly affect his own job and life.

Which part? If you mean the first half, then yes, I think that is a bad thing. If you mean the 2nd half, then no, I think that is a great thing. Sometime people say a guy is loyal and what they mean is that he will lie/cheat/steal for you. I didn't want it to come across that way.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/735233102549647360

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/735236938253271041

I'm not sure what to think about the Suns setting such a high price for the draft pick. I guess I could see both sides, smart to ask for a lot or dumb to think that anyone would match that. I've said it before, if Bender isn't on the board, I have no problem with them moving the #4 pick for a nice haul of future picks. I can't see any team giving up a young star and picks for the #4, and if they are that desperate for a young guard, the Suns have 2 that they can have for a fair price.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Suns continually pimp Bleds in most of their advertising. I just can't see them trading him. And with as bad as Knight has been for us, I can't see them getting anything for him.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't see it hard for McD to extract value out of Knight. You surely have seen the figures thrown around. Yet to enter his prime. Consolidated. Could be the next Jason Terry, with a touch of Jamal. A nice horse if you know what to do with him.

I am more afraid of McD not actually wanting to trade him to avoid admiting defeat, for instance (although IT3 is gone). At the very worst like you said you can just give him away for more FA and draft little chips.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I don't see it hard for McD to extract value out of Knight. You surely have seen the figures thrown around. Yet to enter his prime. Consolidated. Could be the next Jason Terry, with a touch of Jamal. A nice horse if you know what to do with him.

I am more afraid of McD not actually wanting to trade him to avoid admiting defeat, for instance (although IT3 is gone). At the very worst like you said you can just give him away for more FA and draft little chips.
I would be happy to do a Marcus Morris trade and just get back a 2nd rounder and a throw in guy. I really think we are a better team without him on the court (especially if Bledsoe is healthy, and we keep Mirza).

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I don't see it hard for McD to extract value out of Knight. You surely have seen the figures thrown around. Yet to enter his prime. Consolidated. Could be the next Jason Terry, with a touch of Jamal. A nice horse if you know what to do with him.

Yeah, I feel like they buy the line about us having a top-3 backcourt with everyone healthy.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:

Yeah, I feel like they buy the line about us having a top-3 backcourt with everyone healthy.
Yeah, that's just a ridiculous notion to even slightly think that.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Rumor has it that the Suns could trade the 2 lottery picks and Brandon Knight for Paul George. Or instead of Knight, the Suns would have to include Booker.

I would do Knight, Tucker, 4 & 28.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:Rumor has it that the Suns could trade the 2 lottery picks and Brandon Knight for Paul George. Or instead of Knight, the Suns would have to include Booker.

I would do Knight, Tucker, 4 & 28.
Take Knight... Please!

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Where did this rumor come from? No way I'm trading Booker, I'm not the biggest George either, meh.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It was "reported" a few days ago, but the report seemed to indicated that Booker was a more likely target than Knight. And I think it was just a dude on the internet suggesting they could do it, not that any talks have happened.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It looks like perhaps the Lakers and Magic are the more likely destination.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I saw the "article". It was more like clickbait imo. I'd probably consider it tho. A perimeter three of Bleds, Booker and George would be pretty tough.

Cap

Post by Cap »

It was absolutely click bait. The first article that called it a "rumor" linked to its source, where it was not presented as a rumor, but as an entry in an Indy fan's list of possible trade targets for Paul George. It was a fan proposal that only became a "rumor" in a click bait headline.