Around the League: Playoffs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Playoffs

Post by carey »

Must read on Brad Stevens by Jackie Mac: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15356 ... head-coach
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Re: Around the League: Playoffs

Post by carey »

The Lakers have hired Walton to be their head coach: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15430 ... head-coach

He was the Lakers first choice & the only candidate interviewed. It sounds like even if the Suns wanted him he would have been Laker bound.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I'm sure the Lakers pay better than the Suns. ;)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He makes sense there. Has lots of history with the team, and their current roster is young and will do well with a young vibrant coach.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Mori Chu wrote:He makes sense there. Has lots of history with the team, and their current roster is young and will do well with a young vibrant coach.
Great hire by the Lakers. It should work out well for both parties. With Kobe and Scott are gone, I expect that they will again become the free agent destination of choice. They have a crap load of cap space this summer and possibly the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft. I can see Durant ending up there as well as any other free agent they may want.

When you watch the support that their fans gave them the past couple of seasons, what player would not want to play in LA and hang out with all the celebrities that continue to support that franchise.

I predict that they will be relevant again sooner that we are, maybe even next season. While we are working on love and accountability they will be winning basketball games with better talent, better ownership and quite frankly better fan support.

I know a lot of fans are skeptical of Walton but we should have at least given him an interview, IMO.
I wanted Monty as our coach since D'Antoni left town. Nice choice James Jones.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/726506859234906112

He's going to make $5M/yr. Wow.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Not bad for a rookie coach. I'll be interested to see if he's any good.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

carey wrote:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/726506859234906112

He's going to make $5M/yr. Wow.
How much are we paying Watson?

I doubt the Lakers will have to hire someone to take care of the x's and o's in LA.

I believe Walton handled that trivial task in Golden State while Kerr was recovering.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Do you have any information to back up your statements, JWB. Gentry was originally in charge of the offense and then Kerr while Ron Adams has been in charge of the defense. I contend that Watson will end up being the better coach.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:Do you have any information to back up your statements, JWB. Gentry was originally in charge of the offense and then Kerr while Ron Adams has been in charge of the defense. I contend that Watson will end up being the better coach.
I agree, and I'm not the biggest Watson fan. Walton is the product of arguably the best regular season in NBA history, I believe he'll be exposed as a fraud within the 1st 2 months of next season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Superbone wrote:Do you have any information to back up your statements, JWB. Gentry was originally in charge of the offense and then Kerr while Ron Adams has been in charge of the defense. I contend that Watson will end up being the better coach.
I agree, and I'm not the biggest Watson fan. Walton is the product of arguably the best regular season in NBA history, I believe he'll be exposed as a fraud within the 1st 2 months of next season.
That's my thoughts as well. Right place at the right time.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd bet Watson is exposed as a fraud before Walton. Walton's IQ is off the charts.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am not certain how good of a coach Walton is, but I'll give him a season or two and wait and see. I think he at least has the potential to be a very good fit for that Laker team.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm not sure how anyone really knows what either of them can do. And exposing Walton as a fraud within 2 months of the season with that roster? Unless they are signing Kevin Durant and drafting Ben Simmons I'm not sure how 30 games of that mess is going to tell you anything either.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:I'm not sure how anyone really knows what either of them can do. And exposing Walton as a fraud within 2 months of the season with that roster? Unless they are signing Kevin Durant and drafting Ben Simmons I'm not sure how 30 games of that mess is going to tell you anything either.
This

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:I am not certain how good of a coach Walton is, but I'll give him a season or two and wait and see. I think he at least has the potential to be a very good fit for that Laker team.
Why would you not give Watson the same?

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:I am not certain how good of a coach Walton is, but I'll give him a season or two and wait and see. I think he at least has the potential to be a very good fit for that Laker team.
I plan too. I was disappointed in the "process" by which he was hired though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
I plan too. I was disappointed in the "process" by which he was hired though.
Agreed. But didn't the lakers just do the same thing? They knew who they wanted, a guy with no HC experience, and little assistant coaching experience, and hired him without interviewing others?

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote: Agreed. But didn't the lakers just do the same thing? They knew who they wanted, a guy with no HC experience, and little assistant coaching experience, and hired him without interviewing others?
Yes, they did. Interesting parallel.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Certainly Gentry was there to design the offense last year. However this year Gentry was in New Orleans and Kerr was on the injured reserve. When I watched GS games prior to Kerr's return it appeared that Walton was in fact the guy calling the shots.

Quite frankly I think that Ron Adams contributions may be slightly over rated. Surely he did not hurt them but I believe the Warriors were a good defensive team under Jackson. They just have a lot of good defensive players. What was missing was a cohesive offensive system. Gentry and Kerr brought that with them, from Phoenix. Walton was there when it was implemented and coached it until Kerr's return.

Watson could end up being a better coach but I doubt it. I also highly doubt that the Suns will win more games than the Lakers anytime soon. The Lakers are in a much better position to acquire the talent needed to compete in todays NBA. Ball hog Kobe is gone and I am sure Walton we instill the system that is being used in Golden State, which is player friendly. Whether we like it or not Los Angeles is a desired location for a lot of players, especially since Kobe retired. At this point why would any key free agent pick Phoenix over LA? What franchise do you think will attract and sign the best talent?

If Watson can just get our ball hogs and our most talented players (Bledsoe & Knight) to share the ball on a consistent basis, I will impressed and very happy. That in itself will be a huge step forward.