Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Post by Wally_West »

SwingMan wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:How is what Sterling did more horrible? Gave his private opinion of his lover's actions in the privacy of his own home? Or publically and blatantly segregated themselves from an entire race, enforced by security? These aren't even in the same ball park. If a white performer did half of what Jay Z did (even in the realm of pure speculation) that peformer would be absolutely demonized for it.
Is there document proof that Jay-Z himself told his security to not let white people in? Or audio that he did? Anything of anything other than some tabloid reporter saying that is what happened? No. The hotel itself, where the party happened, has said they have not heard of any issues relating to the party. I am saying there is not enough proof for me to say that Jay-Z without a shadow of a doubt did not let white people in his party on his orders. The circumstances of how Donald sterling tape was obtain is horrible but it is out there now and he has before and since the tape came out said incredibly racist things. So yes, what Sterling did was worse than what Jay-Z supposedly did because the evidence against Sterling is more damning than Jay-Z., in this case.
See, there you go - trying to disqualify the source as opposed to holding Jay-Z to task for what he's done. Again, it was TMZ who broke the Sterling fiasco (which was broke by illegal means in addition to extortion by-way of entrapment) - yet, that didn't stop you or millions of race baiters (and a shitload of liberal news outlets) from piling on. In short, if TMZ is proof enough, then the Daily Mail (UK) with an eyewitness account is as well.

Stop the PC bullshit, Wally.
I think the clear difference here is that there is an audio recording of Sterling himself saying these things, which Sterling confirmed was him. Not only that, a few days later Sterling goes on CNN to say some more racist and dumb things. The Daily Mail has one eyewitness and when the hotel was reached for comment they said they have heard no issues. I am not saying TMZ is more reliable than the Daily Mail but rather that an audio tape is more conclusive than an eyewitness who is in the business to stir the pot. That is all. Let me be clear that if the Jay-Z story is true, then he is a piece of shit but I already think that.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

SwingMan wrote: That's the point - why jump on Sterling when they let Jay-Z skate? At the time of his "blacks only" VIP party, he owned the Nets. Racism by an NBA owner in both cases, yet only one gets roasted - why?
I was only aware of the story a short awhile ago, so I really can't comment on why they didn't jump at Jay-Z at the time. But even if it made as big as a dust up as the Sterling thing has, David Stern was an asshole and I'm sure nothing would've done in either cases besides a fine.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Wally_West wrote:
SwingMan wrote: That's the point - why jump on Sterling when they let Jay-Z skate? At the time of his "blacks only" VIP party, he owned the Nets. Racism by an NBA owner in both cases, yet only one gets roasted - why?
I was only aware of the story a short awhile ago, so I really can't comment on why they didn't jump at Jay-Z at the time. But even if it made as big as a dust up as the Sterling thing has, David Stern was an asshole and I'm sure nothing would've done in either cases besides a fine.
I think that's a fair enough assumption. ;)

I'll end it by saying I hope Sterling wins his suit - not because I'm a fan of the piece of shit, but because I'm against the hypocrisy.....

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

The audio tape is more damning, of course, but the whole point of making the tape was to damn him. There are MANY recordings of other artists, athletes and entertainers saying terrible things, that gets absolutely no exposure. You made my point in completion with "I was only aware of the story a short while ago" - of course it wasn't reported on or made a big deal, because that type of story isn't part of the current agenda, where racism is only white white people do it. If the roles were reversed, it would have been front page news, and we would have heard about it for months.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

"in my opinion. I don't believe that all acts of racism are equally as horrible in all cases. "

So who gets to judge whats right and whats wrong, then? Who's scale and opinion are we going on? Who is the moral judge of the world? And who gives him the damn *RIGHT*..?

As Cuban said, its a very slippery slope...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SwingMan wrote:I'll end it by saying I hope Sterling wins his suit - not because I'm a fan of the piece of shit, but because I'm against the hypocrisy.....
If Sterling were to keep the team, it would ruin the franchise. No self-respecting black man would sign to play for him (or any other player that doesn't tolerate racism for that matter). The value of the team would plummet.

The NBA will not let that happen.

If Sterling is smart at all, he'll take his half billion (his wife gets the other half) and go off into the sunset and die in peace.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

That wouldn't happen. They get paid millions of dollars. It never stopped anyone from playing or coaching there before. There are very limited amounts of spots in the NBA - Sterling doesn't affect the day to day running of the team; No one is going to quit, or refuse money over this. Its a good trumpet to blow, but when push comes to shove its all hyperbole and sound bites. It would never happen. And, if it does? Fine, Sterling will lose money and sell the time; free market economics will run its course and take care of the problem. If there is a problem.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:
SwingMan wrote:I'll end it by saying I hope Sterling wins his suit - not because I'm a fan of the piece of shit, but because I'm against the hypocrisy.....
If Sterling were to keep the team, it would ruin the franchise. No self-respecting black man would sign to play for him (or any other player that doesn't tolerate racism for that matter). The value of the team would plummet.

The NBA will not let that happen.

If Sterling is smart at all, he'll take his half billion (his wife gets the other half) and go off into the sunset and die in peace.
And that's another little bit of hypocrisy - Sterling's attitudes have been well known for decades, yet Rivers and FAs had no problem signing with the Clippers and working for the man. If their convictions and self-righteous indignation were all that, they wouldn't have been there in the first damn place.

But lo.....

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

About Jay-Z vs. Sterling:

- He threw a private party. People can invite or not invite whomever they want to their own private parties. How many black guys did you invite to your last party? None? Racist!! When are you going to quit your job or be forced to resign in shame??

- Even if he did go out of his way not to invite any white people, there's no particular evidence that he did that. Sterling has concrete evidence of his racism.

- Jay-Z isn't and wasn't even a majority owner of the team and had almost no authority anyway. He didn't make any hiring and firing decisions.

- The Sterling audio recording is not the start-and-end of the case against Sterling. There's years and years of other concrete evidence of his racist behavior, from the lawsuits against him by apartment tenants to stories and other lawsuits by people who worked in the Clippers org.

I seriously question the judgment of anybody who thinks this Jay-Z thing is even remotely close to being in the same ballpark as what Sterling did. As Bone laid out, Sterling's behavior basically ruined the future of the Clippers for a long time, in terms of players and employees wanting to work there, etc., unless Sterling was ousted. Jay-Z's thing, nobody cares about, and for good reason, because it's a non-issue. Anybody looking for wrong-doing in that private party (PRIVATE PARTY) situation really needs to take a look at themselves and how they behave and ask themselves if they do any differently when conducting their own private social events. Jay-Z's behavior wasn't going to ruin his partly-owned franchise or its ability to compete in the NBA in the future.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:Jay-Z's thing, nobody cares about, and for good reason, because it's a non-issue. Anybody looking for wrong-doing in that private party (PRIVATE PARTY) situation really needs to take a look at themselves and how they behave and ask themselves if they do any differently when conducting their own private social events. Jay-Z's behavior wasn't going to ruin his partly-owned franchise or its ability to compete in the NBA in the future.
:lol: Oh my, how spun. :lol:

Jay-Z's racist actions were largely ignored in the U.S. because he's black, Mori. You can "seriously question the judgment of anybody who thinks this Jay-Z thing is even remotely close to being in the same ballpark as what Sterling did" to your heart's content, but folks with your kind of take ("*his* racism isn't NEARLY as bad as STERLING'S racism!") are the type of "ends justify the means" people that foster extreme divisiveness and waft the stench of hypocrisy thick enough to slice that's poisoned this country as a whole for the last 2 decades. If you were about ANY type of equality, you just threw that notion out the window by claiming racism by one can be more acceptable than another. Bullshit - it's ALL unacceptable!

Plus, need you be reminded that Sterling was holding a PRIVATE conversation in a PRIVATE residence? Only reason it was even known was because a $2 piece of snatch illegally recorded their conversation and peddled it in an attempt of extortion by-way of entrapment.

I can only hope to God you don't teach your students anything about the philosophy of political correctness, Mori - seriously, WTF?????

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we're just talking past each other, and we're not likely to make progress. I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it; I'll let your post stand without trying to give a point-by-point retort. I think we've both said our peace. The only thing I'll address is:
SwingMan wrote:I can only hope to God you don't teach your students anything about the philosophy of political correctness, Mori - seriously, WTF?????
I don't like this part of your message. Let's not make it personal, please.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:I think we're just talking past each other, and we're not likely to make progress. I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it; I'll let your post stand without trying to give a point-by-point retort. I think we've both said our peace. The only thing I'll address is:
SwingMan wrote:I can only hope to God you don't teach your students anything about the philosophy of political correctness, Mori - seriously, WTF?????
I don't like this part of your message. Let's not make it personal, please.
Agreed - I'm, admittedly, a chronic recovering hothead and, though it was in the heat of the moment, that was a bit out of line. My apologies.

However, I only ask that you not help enable racism by adding "degrees" or caliber to justify the act - any and all racism, regardless of the race of the perpetrator, is unacceptable. Bottom line.

SDC

Post by SDC »

SDC

Post by SDC »

cuban gets in trouble with trayvon martin supporters

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Spor ... ad-Tattoos

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source- ... --nba.html

AP Source: Sterling surrendering Clippers control
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

"Surrendering" it to his wife. Lame. He is being sneaky.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Or incredibly smart, and "by the letter of the law."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Do we actually have people here rooting for this guy?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:Do we actually have people here rooting for this guy?
I hope not.

Personally I'm tired of hearing about, he should just do the world a favor and die.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:Do we actually have people here rooting for this guy?
I hope he wins his lawsuit for reasons already stated - otherwise, I think he needs to sell & walk away.....