Around the League: Week 3 11/7-11/13

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 3 11/7-11/13

Post by carey »

Get the rest of the post soon, but wanted a place to post that Cuban has revoked credentials for all ESPN reporters including Marc Stein and Tim Tim MacMahon for the entire season: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /93421944/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Re: Around the League: Week 3 11/7-11/13

Post by ShelC »

This is a the big story today...can't find a reason why tho?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:This is a the big story today...can't find a reason why tho?
Agreed, this is odd.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

All I've heard is that it's a business decision & nothing to do with their editorial. They aren't banned from games & can still purchase tickets.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ramona Shelbourne has been tweeting a lot about this and is raising a lot of points. I'm kind of shot today so can't really process a lot lol but it seems like he's unhappy with their lack of coverage and not what they're writing? Still...extremely odd whatever the case may be. Doesn't the NBA and ESPN have deals in place for media coverage? And then what's stopping other teams/owners from taking away credentials from reporters for unstated reasons? The irony is (and not to get political) Cuban is vehemently anti-Trump, who banned some media from his press conferences. Now he's doing the same?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Seems like a very Trump-like move from Cuban, who is as anti-Trump as they get. From what I understand it's a protest over the fact that ESPN made the decision not to have a reporter at every single game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:Seems like a very Trump-like move from Cuban, who is as anti-Trump as they get. From what I understand it's a protest over the fact that ESPN made the decision not to have a reporter at every single game.
The Mavs don't deserve to have a reporter at every game. Sounds like a crybaby move.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

EDC

Post by EDC »

Maybe if ESPN actually covered all the teams they would have more sports content to show on their dying social media gossip station. I don't have any problem with Cuban wanting decent coverage for his product. He really doesn't need ESPN. Especially if they were only going to have one reporter between multiple teams. At 0-6 that basically boils down to zero coverage for them. So why not stop giving them free entrance to the arena. Especially when Stein one of their biggest columnists is based out of that city. ESPN would just end up using that access to mostly cover visiting teams.

carey

Post by carey »

It's interesting. ESPN has a designated blogger/writer for each NFL team. I don't see why they couldn't do the same for the NBA. The Saints blogger I've met a few times. Our kids go to the same school.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's stupid for Cuban to block the ESPN reporters. He and his team benefit greatly from the league's relationship with ESPN. And having columnists based in their city only adds to the quality of coverage they'll get. It's biting the hand that feeds him just to ban them for not writing enough about his team when they are winless. This isn't going to engender a good relationship with them in the future and seems petulant and childish. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

carey

Post by carey »

We have proof that it's because they aren't writing enough about them? Or is that speculation?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Seems like speculation.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:It's interesting. ESPN has a designated blogger/writer for each NFL team. I don't see why they couldn't do the same for the NBA.
They could, it just isn't necessary nor cost effective. And the NFL is a completely different beast.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think it's stupid for Cuban to block the ESPN reporters.
It's a petulant move.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Watch Orlando closely. I don't think things are going to go the way they have envisioned, and I think it could open the door for Aaron Gordon to be moved. And the Suns have the assets to pull it off, IMO, if they would be so inclined.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was just looking at Orlando and they had a rough start with the schedule (Mia,Det, Cle), then won three but just got blown out. I think they'll give it some time with Vogel and still have young pieces in Payton, Fournier (don't google him), Gordon, Vuc. and some other pieces like Green, Ibaka, Hezonja. I'd definitely offer up Knight if they're looking for a new PG. Gordon really doesn't interest me tho and I'm not sure I'd want anyone else. Maybe Ibaka but doubt they'd move him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'd give up a king's ransom for Gordon. Plug him in at the 4, and I think Booker-Warren-Gordon become a devastating Big 3.

Edit: I wouldn't give up a first rounder, but the Magic would be welcome to take Bledsoe, Tucker, and Chriss.

jonh

Post by jonh »

INFORMER wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I think it's stupid for Cuban to block the ESPN reporters.
It's a petulant move.

After looking up the definition for petulant, I now have a new word to try and use this week. Thank you.

INFORMER wrote:I'd give up a king's ransom for Gordon. Plug him in at the 4, and I think Booker-Warren-Gordon become a devastating Big 3.

Edit: I wouldn't give up a first rounder, but the Magic would be welcome to take Bledsoe, Tucker, and Chriss.
Am I understanding you right--that you would be willing to give up Bledsoe, Tucker, and Chriss in order to get Gordan? I have not been following him at all, but his stats from last year don't appear to be worth a "king's ransom". Is there something about him that makes him worth both Bledsoe and Chriss?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:I'd give up a king's ransom for Gordon. Plug him in at the 4, and I think Booker-Warren-Gordon become a devastating Big 3.

Do the Suns need to give up Chriss? I like Gordon though.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Steph Curry just broke the record for 3s made in a game with 13. Still 2:20 to go.