Second Round: Indiana Pacers (1) vs. Washington Wizards (5)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Second Round: Indiana Pacers (1) vs. Washington Wizards (5)

Post by EDC »

Wizards up by 13 half way through the third quarter. Looks like Indy is going to struggle this round as well.

Gladiator

Re: Second Round: Indiana Pacers (1) vs. Washington Wizards

Post by Gladiator »

The Pacers look like they're in big trouble. Their d isn't anything like what it used to be (they just let a white-hot Ariza shoot an uncontested 3-pointer, for example) and there's too much 1on1 stuff on offence (hello Lance Stephenson!). Also, Hibberd is pretty much unplayable at the moment for Indy.

TOO

Post by TOO »

When in doubt, blame Stephenson? He's about the only guy that passes on that team, Paul George thinks he's a superstar, he's not.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I like Stephenson, but from what I've seen he's pressing too much. As is George for that matter. But their biggest issue is Hibberd - 18 minutes, 0 points, 0 rebounds. You've got to be kidding me.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Hibbert thing is just Bizarre. Just a few months ago they were pimping him as the best center in the NBA on TNT. Now he's looking like the worst rotation player in basketball.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought for sure that Indy would find their stride now after the close call they faced in the first round. But it seems that they don't start trying until their backs are against the wall. That team is messed up. Wiz very well could go to the ECF; that's nuts.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Chris Herring ‏@HerringWSJ 6m

Roy Hibbert's 8.4% playoff rebounding percentage is the worst in NBA history for any All-Star 7-footer, per Basketball-Reference.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Chris Webber is so horrendous as an in-game analyst.

And how upset is Bobcat/Hornet fan that their team passed up Bradley Beal to draft Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Ouch. And I'll be honest, I would have made that same mistake.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Beal was enormous in the last quarter. Every time the Pacers threatened to make a little run, it seemed he would hit a clutch basket.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:Chris Webber is so horrendous as an in-game analyst.

And how upset is Bobcat/Hornet fan that their team passed up Bradley Beal to draft Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Ouch. And I'll be honest, I would have made that same mistake.
MKG had huge hype that year. I think what we're seeing the past few years is that you should be VERY wary of these college stud guards who can't shoot and rely entirely on athleticism, speed, and size to get their points. They basically can't score in the NBA.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You weren't the only one. I was right there with you. I underestimated his difficulties in developing his offensive skills and overestimated his defensive abilities. I liked Beal a lot, but had him 5th on my board and MKG 3rd.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

So who was your second rated prospect?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:So who was your second rated prospect?
Andre Drummond
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Good call.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

That should read, Chris Webber is so Horrendous. No need to narrow it down to just in-game analyst
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:

You weren't the only one. I was right there with you. I underestimated his difficulties in developing his offensive skills and overestimated his defensive abilities. I liked Beal a lot, but had him 5th on my board and MKG 3rd.
MKG is 20(!) and has always had a reputation as a workhorse. I'm not close to giving up on him as an NBA talent. It is indisputable that Drummond looks much better, though.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm not saying give up on him, but do you honestly believe he is ever going to be as good as Beal or Drummond?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:I'm not saying give up on him, but do you honestly believe he is ever going to be as good as Beal or Drummond?
Drummond, probably not. But he's a very different player than Beal. He has the potential to be a 1st team all NBA defender on the wing. A bigger, stronger Tony Allen.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

That's not answering the question. Of course they're all different players. The point is, with second pick in any NBA draft, you want to draft the second best player in the draft. If MKG turns into Tony Allen, that's nice and all, but that's not what you want or need with the second pick in the draft.

My entire point when I first broached the subject was that drafting MKG at that spot was a mistake. I'm not saying he's going to be out of the league or that he is completely worthless; I'm just saying it looks like Charlotte made the wrong the decision, and I don't think MKG is going to or can do anything to change that conclusion.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

At the same time, I'm not criticizing MKG. It's not his fault. I also think he didn't land in the best spot; I don't think Charlotte has the player personnel or coaching staff in place to get the most out of him. I think Hornacek & Co. could do wonders for him.