Suns News: Week 9 12/19-12/25

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Suns News: Week 9 12/19-12/25

Post by carey »

Last Week's Games

vs. New York W113-111
vs. San Antonio L107-92
@ OKC L114-101

This Week's Games

Mon, December 19th @ Minnesota 8:00PM EST
Wed, December 21st vs. Houston 9:00PM EST
Fri, December 23rd vs. Philadelphia 9:00PM EST

Suns Stories

Center of the Sun: Phoenix Suns dropping to 8-19 isn't as bad as it looks - http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2016/ ... s-it-looks

Suns allow Westbrook's 50th career triple-double: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /95571340/

Bickley: Resting star players a bad idea for the NBA - http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /95568306/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Re: Suns News: Week 9 12/19-12/25

Post by Mori Chu »

Center of the Sun: Phoenix Suns dropping to 8-19 isn't as bad as it looks -
I don't know where they get such optimism.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Probably from the head coach.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Center of the Sun: Phoenix Suns dropping to 8-19 isn't as bad as it looks -
I don't know where they get such optimism.
yeah, that's sorta like giving away free snowcones while the Titanic is sinking ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

EDC

Post by EDC »

“Let’s do it the right way,” he said of a potential playoff run. “Let’s not bury Dragan Bender and Marquese Chriss and play the veterans 40 minutes a night to get it.”
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2016/ ... -this-year

I like what McD is saying. Lets just hope it isn't more useless talk without any action to back it up a la Earl Watson.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Trade Idea:

Suns out: Brandon Knight, PJ Tucker
Suns in: Ilyasova (waived), Robert Covington, James Young

Sixers out: Noel, Covington, Ilyasova
Sixers in: Knight, Jerebko, Rozier, Celtics own 1st

Celtics out: Jerebko, Rozier, Young, own 1st
Celtics in: Noel, Tucker

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Shabazz wrote:Trade Idea:

Fair for all teams involved, good job. I do wonder if Boston would find Tucker kind of redundant with Crowder already there but still good.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I just don't know why the Suns would do it. Why bring in two wing players when the Suns have too many guys as it is? I would vastly prefer future draft picks.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

I feel like we don't really get anything in that deal. Covington isn't any good and is older than Knight though I guess he is expiring. Young isn't any good either. We need to get some kind of asset unless you're just looking to get cap space.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

I have a hard time seeing a down side for any team involved. Nice work.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:

I feel like we don't really get anything in that deal. Covington isn't any good and is older than Knight though I guess he is expiring. Young isn't any good either. We need to get some kind of asset unless you're just looking to get cap space.
Who is willing to give up a top 15 pick for either player?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I like Covington. He's a streak shooter with good size. When he's on, he can really light it up and plays decent defense. Also a good rebounder for his size. Young is a pretty gifted scorer with some personality issues IINM. Not a terrible deal and more addition by subtraction. Probably some better deals out there but that one's not terrible.

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
No one, but I think we need an asset not necessarily a lottery pick.
ShelC wrote:I like Covington. He's a streak shooter with good size. When he's on, he can really light it up and plays decent defense. Also a good rebounder for his size. Young is a pretty gifted scorer with some personality issues IINM. Not a terrible deal and more addition by subtraction. Probably some better deals out there but that one's not terrible.
Covington is shooting worse from the field than Brandon Knight if you can believe it in both FG% and 3P%. Young isn't playing right now so hard to say much about him other than his numbers are meh when he does.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

carey wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Exactly my toughts. Just opening up minutes for the kids, but even Markieff net us a 1rst rounder. Knight + Tucker - Drama should be a superior package.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
No one, but I think we need an asset not necessarily a lottery pick.
ShelC wrote:I like Covington. He's a streak shooter with good size. When he's on, he can really light it up and plays decent defense. Also a good rebounder for his size. Young is a pretty gifted scorer with some personality issues IINM. Not a terrible deal and more addition by subtraction. Probably some better deals out there but that one's not terrible.
Covington is shooting worse from the field than Brandon Knight if you can believe it in both FG% and 3P%. Young isn't playing right now so hard to say much about him other than his numbers are meh when he does.
My justification - I really like Covington. He's struggled with his shot, but it's been a lot better lately. He can swing between the 3 and the 4 and play with either of our rooks in the front-court. He's also a good defender. Best of all he's got 1 year left after this one at the minimum. Young was close to getting waived in October, so he may be nothing, but he's worth a flyer and we can try developing him while opening up some minutes for Ulis.

As for getting a pick back for Knight, he is by many metrics one of the worst players in the NBA this year and has 3.5 years left at about $14M per season. His game seems to be regressing when it should be progressing. He may be Aaron Brooks 2.0 in terms of career arc. I don't see an asset there that's getting me a pick. Getting out of that contract is a win.

It's also hard to find trades that give us what we want this season - more minutes for the rooks. Many of us want Tucker and Knight traded, but you have to take players back. And those players will expect time, too.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/DougHaller/status/810922704622583808

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Carey - any more details on what happened to Coro that you can share?

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

EDC wrote:
“Let’s do it the right way,” he said of a potential playoff run. “Let’s not bury Dragan Bender and Marquese Chriss and play the veterans 40 minutes a night to get it.”

I like what McD is saying. Lets just hope it isn't more useless talk without any action to back it up a la Earl Watson.
On a recent interview Watson started talking more about giving the young guys minutes - especially Bender. Although he has talked about giving the young guys minutes before and it didn't materialise. He talks about the importance of giving the vets a chance to earn minutes at the start of a season but basically say the suns need to have ongoing player development. Are we all about to be granted our xmas wish of more youth on the floor? Surely with our current record and recent loses to Pelicans and Wolves he decides to gear things more toward development. Still gives me hope we wont waste the opportunity this year to fast track our young guys this year.
Wasn't entirely sure what his plan is for Alex Len. Called him the most unique player on the roster, calls him talented, need to keep his confidence up. I really like the idea of him starting but not sure Earl sees him as a priority with chandlers rebounding numbers being strong since he returned

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2016/ ... -spurs-nba

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:Carey - any more details on what happened to Coro that you can share?
I don't know any really. He said that he couldn't share specifics and I assume it is because of his severance package. I don't know him well enough to pry for more details. He'd just say hi when he came into town and we would sometimes DM on Twitter. My free tickets and access dried up when the Hornacek coaching change happened.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Hey guys. Long time no see.

Suns IMO need a PF real bad. They give up too many offensive boards and just can't play small every night. I think it's time to say goodbye to PJ Tucker and definitely Brandon Knight. John Jenkins can go too, cause that's just a roster spot wasted.

Oh yeah Happy Holidays !!
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !