Suns News: Week 10 12/26-1/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: Suns News: Week 10 12/26-1/1

Post by Sunsfan4life »

In2ition wrote:I heard a lot of excuses and covering for Watson. He should be playing more and everyone knows it. And what is this they all have to develop at different times? It sounds like Watson is trying to hold Bender back and force Chriss to breakout first. I don't think you should control when it happens. What if Bender or Ulis was supposed to break out first, if he let it happen organically and based on performance and performance of the team?

Watson has a personal connection with Chriss. There were a few quotes after we drafted him that said the staff was split on which one to draft (Bender or Chriss) and it was obvious to be Watson wanted Chriss.

I didn't think at the time it was a bad thing or does it mean it is now, but it becomes one when it involves holding another young guy down.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

And this is by no means trying to bury Chriss. There's been times this year where he's had good stretches only to never see the floor again.

Does anyone remember the Laker game on ESPN about a month ago? He came out and had like 6 or 8pts in the first 5 mins of the 2nd half inluding a 3 and a gorgeous dunk, as well as a nice pass to Chandler. It was the best 5 min stretch I saw of him all year and the announcers were gushing over him. He was then taken out and never saw the floor again. We won the game, but what are you telling your young guy after that?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

It's well past december 15th and Brandon Knight is still on the damn roster.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

UglyTruth wrote:It's well past december 15th and Brandon Knight is still on the damn roster.
February 23rd, 2017 is the date you want to look at as that's the trading deadline. How many other trades have you heard about since the 15th?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Superbone wrote:
UglyTruth wrote:It's well past december 15th and Brandon Knight is still on the damn roster.
February 23rd, 2017 is the date you want to look at as that's the trading deadline. How many other trades have you heard about since the 15th?
How many other teams have a player that needs to be shipped out as bad as Knight?

Knight is ruining Booker. Booker is out there taking Knight like shots and playing like Knight.

I wish the Suns had balls like Stan Van Gundy and how he got rid of Josh Smith anyway possible for the better of their team.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

UglyTruth wrote:
Superbone wrote:
How many other teams have a player that needs to be shipped out as bad as Knight?

Knight is ruining Booker. Booker is out there taking Knight like shots and playing like Knight.

I wish the Suns had balls like Stan Van Gundy and how he got rid of Josh Smith anyway possible for the better of their team.

i think that's the an issue with the whole 'family' narrative. It makes it harder to do stuff like that or looks completely hollow when you do.
I wish Earl had taken more of the x's and o's from the spurs and not just the off court family staff. Being unselfish on the court is way more important.

Split T

Post by Split T »

UglyTruth wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Don't blame Booker's struggles on Knight, Knight has nothing to do with it. Criticize Knight all you want for his actual shortcomings, he's got quite a few this year, but lets not start making up knocks on Knight.

SDC

Post by SDC »

I wonder if there's a way to bring back dragic and reunite him and bledsoe?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

From ESPN Insider -

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... orst-teams

How to fix the big flaws on each of the NBA's four worst teams

Phoenix Suns (28)

Big flaw: Lineup musical chairs

The Suns have played five lottery picks age 23 or younger this season, a number matched only by the Minnesota Timberwolves and 76ers. While they may lack an obvious future superstar, they offer no shortage of intriguing, high-ceiling prospects, including Devin Booker, TJ Warren, Marquese Chriss, Dragan Bender and Alex Len. There is more raw clay in the Phoenix desert than any potter would know what to do with.

Throw in the presence of Eric Bledsoe, Brandon Knight, P.J. Tucker, Jared Dudley, Leandro Barbosa and Tyson Chandler -- all of whom have the game to command regular minutes -- and it becomes readily apparent that head coach Earl Watson almost has too many options.

The average NBA team has six different five-man lineups that have appeared in at least 10 games together. The Suns have one, tied with the Nets for the fewest in the NBA. The combination of Bledsoe, Booker, Tucker, Chriss and Chandler have appeared together in 16 of Phoenix's 31 games. The Suns have 32 different combinations of 3-man lineups that have played at least 150 minutes. None of them involve three of the 23-or-younger prospects.

If you consider Booker, Bender and Chriss the top three Suns prospects, at some point you'd want to see all three on the floor. So far this season, the three have shared the floor for a grand total of 15 minutes.

Solution: Unload some veterans

Tucker would likely be the easiest to move since he's in the final year of his contract and making just $5.3 million. He could provide a strong defensive presence on the wing for any contender.

Given the salary cap climate and going rate for productive rotation pieces, both Chandler and Dudley are also on relatively friendly deals. Dudley is on the hook for two more seasons after this at a combined cost of $19.5 million. Chandler comes at a steeper price as he's owed $13 million next season and $13.6 million the season after that. Though no longer the shot blocker he once was, Chandler is still an elite rebounder (his rebound rate of 23 percent ranks fifth in the NBA behind only Andre Drummond, Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan and Hassan Whiteside).

The Suns don't need to dump all of their vets, and it's not like they're short on young talent. They just don't need so much lineup clutter. Even if Tucker turned into an eventual draft-and-stash pick, it would be a useful step in not only creating space in the rotation short-term but also providing potential long-term stability.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

Thanks Bobster.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Thanks Bobster.
Absolutely. Let's pray to the elderly gods.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yes, appreciate it. The author knows what he's talking about.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
carey wrote:Thanks Bobster.
Absolutely. Let's pray to the elderly gods.
I prefer to pray to the basketball gods. ;) It seems like the elderly gods are already favoring us but they are quite senile.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:From ESPN Insider -

Phoenix Suns (28)

The Suns don't need to dump all of their vets, and it's not like they're short on young talent. They just don't need so much lineup clutter. Even if Tucker turned into an eventual draft-and-stash pick, it would be a useful step in not only creating space in the rotation short-term but also providing potential long-term stability.
This this this
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
The Bobster wrote:From ESPN Insider -

Phoenix Suns (28)

This this this
Which is all on the GM. C'mon McD. Fix things at the trade deadline.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

not new, but booker made me laugh here

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Phoenix Suns (28)

Big flaw: Coach sucks

Solution: Get a better coach

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

Phoenix Suns (28)

Big flaw: Coach sucks

Solution: Get a better coach
Also keep adding more young talent.

And be patient.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:not new, but booker made me laugh here

He learned that from watching Harden.

"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »