Around the League: Week 10 12/26-1/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Around the League: Week 10 12/26-1/1

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:KP was a year older than bender as a rookie and put up great numbers. As much as I'd like to see bender play more minutes, it's not the lack of minutes that's keeping him from being KP. Bender shows flashes, but overall his numbers aren't good. If he was playing like KP, he'd be getting minutes.
Bender is close to a AK47 at times, but if I were a coach I wouldn't like his overall weakness. Still, I think he is 'readier' than Chriss. Also believe it would be wise trying to develop at least one of them at SF. And feed them like mfvckers. Tren hard eat clen whatever haha.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:KP was a year older than bender as a rookie and put up great numbers. As much as I'd like to see bender play more minutes, it's not the lack of minutes that's keeping him from being KP. Bender shows flashes, but overall his numbers aren't good. If he was playing like KP, he'd be getting minutes.
Bender is close to a AK47 at times, but if I were a coach I wouldn't like his overall weakness. Still, I think he is 'readier' than Chriss. Also believe it would be wise trying to develop at least one of them at SF. And feed them like mfvckers. Tren hard eat clen whatever haha.
Hard to believe Dragan won't get stronger in the coming years. At 31, I could whoop 19-year-old me, and I've been sitting behind a desk for 6 years now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Right now Chriss and bender are equals as floor spacers, I'd say Chriss has the next most "ready" skill with his athleticism and finishing ability. However, Chriss often seems lost out there, especially defensively, and bender tends to look more comfortable. Bender is starting to get minutes, which is nice, let's just hope it continues. It never should have been a Chriss or bender, they both need to play

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

KP plays with a serious chip on his shoulder. Bender likes to go with the flow. Bender will never be KP, but he can be a good player.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

European 7-footer with wing skills, #4 pick in the draft? Same player!

/green

Split T

Post by Split T »

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dra ... der-62877/

Bender's draft express page has a good writeup with a series of videos comparing 18 year old bender to 18 year old porzingis.

For those who don't want to read/watch as it is kindy long, i'll give a brief recap:

Porzingis:

Good: Better leaper, more natural scorer, more versatile shooter,
Bad: Not a natural passer, can't switch PNR or defend perimeter

Bender:
Good: More fluid athlete, better passer, higher 3pt%, can defend on perimeter and switch PNR, better basketball IQ
Bad: Not aggressive offensively, struggles to finish at rim due to leaping ability, 3pt shooting ability is strictly spot up situations

Neither are great post defenders as they get pushed around easily and neither have much of a post up game. Porzingis did show an ability to hit a face up jumper.

In summary, Porzingis showed much more star potential as a versatile scorer with nba 3 pt range and above the rim athleticism and a scorers mentality.
Bender projects as a role player with a better basketball IQ who plays unselfishly offensively and is more versatile defensively and can guard multiple positions.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Sorry, I know we like to be down on our guys, but the Korver and Knight trade scenario comparisons are ridiculous. Korver is elite in one skill, and also not a bad defender, but he is 35, and on an expiring contract. Unless you are a top team looking for a short term rental and are a) confident that you can retain him and b) don't care as much if he regresses thereafter, you are not trading for him with a future first rounder.

I'm not saying Knight is a peach, but he offers exactly the opposite things that Korver does. And it takes another type of team to want to take on this type of talent.

As for Atlanta selling all their assets, I think they've just decided that it's time. Last year they didn't move Horford, who then promptly left them with nothing to show; they picked up Dwight for probably both business reasons and also to try to upgrade/change their style. The Teague move was totally reasonable, as Schroeder had complained heavily about not wanting to start; it's quite smart to get a #12 pick for a guy who's hitting free agency in one year, when his replacement already sits on your bench. But 2 months into the season they realize that even if they are hitting on all cylinders, they won't be reaching past the 2nd round in the playoffs... and Millsap/Korver/Thabo are all expiring deals, so may as well bite the bullet and tear it down. Makes perfect sense to me.