2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Bruiser

2014 NBA Draft

Post by Bruiser »

Is it too early to have this thread? - Maybe.

Whatever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NBA_draft
Go: http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2014/mockdraft

What a difference a year makes.
Can you imagine having the fifth pick in this year's draft? Oh boy!
Last edited by Bruiser on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

INFORMER

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by INFORMER »

Bruiser wrote:Is it too early to have this thread?

NO! ;)
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

I'd been leaning towards combining picks to make a little run towards Kyle Anderson, but the possible Kevin Love scenario and the solid play of Marcus Morris kind of makes that a shaky proposition.

Of course, if P.J. Tucker happens to bail (I do NOT want that to happen, for the record - just thinking of possible salary reality after 2 solid seasons here), that obviously changes things at the 3.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I predict we'll only draft 1 player, somewhere in the top 10.

TOO

Post by TOO »

SwingMan wrote:I'd been leaning towards combining picks to make a little run towards Kyle Anderson, but the possible Kevin Love scenario and the solid play of Marcus Morris kind of makes that a shaky proposition.

Of course, if P.J. Tucker happens to bail (I do NOT want that to happen, for the record - just thinking of possible salary reality after 2 solid seasons here), that obviously changes things at the 3.
I don't know that he'd go any higher than where the possible Wiz pick will fall. His athleticism just doesn't look NBA level to me. Then again, in the right situation, he could succeed ala Marshall in LA.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I predict we'll only draft 1 player, somewhere in the top 10.

I agree with you, we cant drop 4 players for 4 rookies. We will for sure be active on draft day.
You sold me two quier giraffes

carey

Post by carey »

I think we use all 3 picks and 1 on a Euro that doesn't come over right away.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:I think we use all 3 picks and 1 on a Euro that doesn't come over right away.
You expect losses in FA or a trade? Barbs, Xmas, Slava, MoBros, Ish, someone has to go.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
SwingMan wrote:I'd been leaning towards combining picks to make a little run towards Kyle Anderson, but the possible Kevin Love scenario and the solid play of Marcus Morris kind of makes that a shaky proposition.

I don't know that he'd go any higher than where the possible Wiz pick will fall. His athleticism just doesn't look NBA level to me. Then again, in the right situation, he could succeed ala Marshall in LA.
I hear ya - I have Kyle Anderson pinned right around the lottery bubble. If Minnesota ends up #9 in the west, #14 overall is ours and, IMO, would be enough to land him.

My scenario would be to have Anderson as the main playmaker off the bench, feeding Green & Goodwin in the bench backcourt.

carey

Post by carey »

carey wrote:I think we use all 3 picks and 1 on a Euro that doesn't come over right away.
You expect losses in FA or a trade? Barbs, Xmas, Slava, MoBros, Ish, someone has to go.
I expect all those guys except the Morris bros. to go. I don't know if we re-sign Tucker. I don't know if Frye opts out. A lot of variables.

Bledsoe/X
Dragic/Goodwin
Green/Marcus/X
Frye/Markieff/X
Plumlee/Len

We'll have room. Even adding 3 draftees we'd have room for 3 more guys.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I'm going to the draft again this yr (last years experience was insanely awesome) and I have had Joel Embid #1 for some time now. Thats why I would take...Followed by Parker then Wiggins. My friend, a Die Hard Sixer fan, keeps raving over Dante Exum and has him after Wiggins (who he has 1) and Embid. I haven't seen enough of Exum to make any kind of judgements, but have heard good things.

So here are the 2 questions I pose...

1) Would you take Embid over Wiggins/Parker?
2) Where do you have Exum (Australian PG) going?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Swing I'm a big Kyle Anderson guy as well. I thought maybe we'd be able to snag him wit the Wiz pick around 17, but the way he's been playing he may go higher. I think going into the yr I had a lot of concerns about his shot, but he has shot better this yr. He needs to be a tad more aggressive, but the play making abilities at that size are hard to ignore.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:1) Would you take Embid over Wiggins/Parker?
2) Where do you have Exum (Australian PG) going?
1) Yes. Parker has a long way to go defensively, but clearly he's talented. Wiggins can come in and defend right away, he's that good, but he's not nearly as polished offensively as people were saying. Embid, though I haven't seen much of him yet, seems to look the part. He's big and has the length & instincts you like at the 5 spot plus he looks like a fluid athlete unlike some recent high C draft picks.

2) 4th.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Swing I'm a big Kyle Anderson guy as well. I thought maybe we'd be able to snag him wit the Wiz pick around 17, but the way he's been playing he may go higher. I think going into the yr I had a lot of concerns about his shot, but he has shot better this yr. He needs to be a tad more aggressive, but the play making abilities at that size are hard to ignore.
Seriously, how much does this sound like Boris Diaw?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Swing I'm a big Kyle Anderson guy as well. I thought maybe we'd be able to snag him wit the Wiz pick around 17, but the way he's been playing he may go higher. I think going into the yr I had a lot of concerns about his shot, but he has shot better this yr. He needs to be a tad more aggressive, but the play making abilities at that size are hard to ignore.
Seriously, how much does this sound like Boris Diaw?
Skills-wise? Twins.

Boris Diaw with a little less athleticism and a LOT more aggressiveness.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Diaw with less athleticism is a tough pill to swallow, unless Anderson is strong enough to play/defend the 4. Personally if we go a 3 with athleticism questions, I hope its McDermott, his ability to fill it up is second to none in 2014's draft. I think he and Anderson could fall around the same draft area from 12 til about 18.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Diaw before his donut diet that had him add 40lbs yes. Exactly what I was thinking.

Anderson is a lot like him all the way down to the nonchalant looking body language on the court.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

TOO, I just don't see Doug E. Fresh making it to us. I hope teams get scared off by the fact that he is a senior and a little older, but I see him putting on an absolute show in the tourney on a creighton team that has a legit shot to get to a final 4

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Diaw with less athleticism is a tough pill to swallow, unless Anderson is strong enough to play/defend the 4. Personally if we go a 3 with athleticism questions, I hope its McDermott, his ability to fill it up is second to none in 2014's draft. I think he and Anderson could fall around the same draft area from 12 til about 18.
Yeah - physique-wise, I'm talking Diaw way before Croissant Boy reared its lazy head when I compared he & Anderson.

Here's a couple game highlights - a nightly triple-double threat:

TOO

Post by TOO »

He's got that old man at the Y below the rim game. He's got an exceptional passing ability, and great size, but even those highlights show how slow and methodical (Diaw) his game is, he even takes awhile to gather for a jumper like Ol' Boris. I think he'll improve someones bench, say we had him with the MoBros I think he'd be very effective against second units. It's a little like watching Kendall Marshalls UNC tape, you see the passing and the size, you worry about the jumper and how slow he looks. Maybe its just effortless, I don't know.