NBA Western Conference Finals 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

NBA Western Conference Finals 2017

Post by Superbone »

San Antonio Spurs vs. Golden State Warriors starts Sunday.

Dis • cuss
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Re: NBA Western Conference Finals

Post by Cap »

Feels weird when they start the conference finals while the conference semis are still gong on in the other conference.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The obvious easy pick here is to say that the Warriors are way, way better than the Spurs. And they'll very likely win this series; the Ws have much more firepower and athleticism and everything else. But the Spurs have been really impressive in the playoffs, and they're so extremely well coached, so disciplined, so determined. They always just find a way to get the absolute max out of what they have. I wouldn't be surprised to see it be a competitive series that goes 6 or 7.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Who do the Ws put on Kawhi? Iguodala? Draymond?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If you're the Spurs, what lineup do you start, and which Warriors players do you think you match up worst against with when you're on defense?

Curry - guarded by Patty Mills
Klay - guarded by Danny Green
Durant - guarded by ... Jonathan Simmons? Kawhi? LMA?
Draymond - guarded by ... Jonathan Simmons? Kawhi?

Do you think the Spurs go big or small? Would they have any success with a LMA/Pau twin towers lineup, or would that just get run completely off the floor?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

There are too many days off between games.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:If you're the Spurs, what lineup do you start, and which Warriors players do you think you match up worst against with when you're on defense?

Curry - guarded by Patty Mills
Klay - guarded by Danny Green
Durant - guarded by ... Jonathan Simmons? Kawhi? LMA?
Draymond - guarded by ... Jonathan Simmons? Kawhi?

Do you think the Spurs go big or small? Would they have any success with a LMA/Pau twin towers lineup, or would that just get run completely off the floor?
I guess the Spurs go small with Murray/Mills - Green - Kawhi - Simmons - LMA, Simmons on Draymond and Kawhi on Durant. But it's Pop so, who knows?

Either way, I don't see them winning more than one game, and that's if Kawhi is 100%.

carey

Post by carey »

Never count out the Spurs. Not saying they will win but calling the series in 5 games before it starts? Idk man.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

On paper, the Warriors are massively more talented than the Spurs, but never count Pop out. On paper, the Spurs should never have won 61 games in the regular season, or handled Houston so easily with Parker and Leonard both out.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

carey wrote:Never count out the Spurs. Not saying they will win but calling the series in 5 games before it starts? Idk man.
I'm thinking Warriors win their home games and split on the road. It's true though that Pop vs Mike Brown seems like a miss-match.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Hermen wrote:
carey wrote:Never count out the Spurs. Not saying they will win but calling the series in 5 games before it starts? Idk man.
I'm thinking Warriors win their home games and split on the road. It's true though that Pop vs Mike Brown seems like a miss-match.
Word is that Kerr was back at practice today.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Acting Head Coach Mike Brown is perhaps the biggest advantage the Spurs have going in their favor.

I believe I predicted Warriors in 6 in this series in the playoff predictions thread, so I'll stick with that. My predictions have mostly been okay in terms of who would win each series, and I'll have all 4 conference finalists correct if the Wiz can win Game 7 in Boston. But I predicted the Raptors would take the Cavs to 6-7 games, and that was obviously way off.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Well, all the prognosticators figured the Warriors would have a cakewalk in this series (all the experts on ESPN.com picked Golden State in five games), but maybe the Spurs have some different thoughts on this.

62-42 Spurs at halftime.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

Never count out the Spurs. The last time the Spurs underperformed was against the Suns in 2010. They are always a tough out.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Damn, poor Leonard.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Refreshing to hear the GS comentators criticizing Pachulia for his cheap shot on Khawi, sliping his feet under the shooter's landing area, going as far as calling out as a "should be flagrant" on that practice. On other feeds you know they would be doing their best to defend it.

carey

Post by carey »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:Refreshing to hear the GS comentators criticizing Pachulia for his cheap shot on Khawi, sliping his feet under the shooter's landing area, going as far as calling out as a "should be flagrant" on that practice. On other feeds you know they would be doing their best to defend it.
GS commentators? It's on national broadcast in the states like all playoff games. What feed are you getting?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Dubs with an 18-0 run as soon as Kawhi goes out. Lucky to get a win today. Bummed for Leonard.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Lucky W's. Kawhi was owning them and Curry made a stupid floater. Zaza's dirty play could be worth a series. Bet the Spurs are not liking the taste.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Zaza's dirty play could be worth a series. Bet the Spurs are not liking the taste.
The last angle I saw looked like Zaza didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I certainly wouldn't call it a dirty play.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.