2017 Suns NBA Draft (4th, 32nd, 54th)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

2017 Suns NBA Draft (4th, 32nd, 54th)

Post by Superbone »

When: Thursday, June 22nd
Time: 4:00 pm AZ (4:00 pm PT / 7:00 pm ET)
Place: Barclays Center, Brooklyn, New York
TV: ESPN
Additional picks: 2nd Round - 32nd and 54th

With the fourth pick in the 2017 NBA draft, the Phoenix Suns select...

Dis • cuss
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Re: 2017 Suns NBA Draft (4th, 32nd, 54th)

Post by Mori Chu »

Is there a strong reason for Philly not to select Jackson? Is he redundant with Simmons?

I guess if Philly doesn't take Jackson, that'd be our guy. A lot of the other guys around the pick 4-5 range seem to be scoring guards, and we don't need that.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Is there a strong reason for Philly not to select Jackson? Is he redundant with Simmons?
I think this is a logical line of thinking, but who knows what BC will do?

Simmons may well be their primary distributor, but they still need someone to defend guards and I don't think Simmons would fare well in that role at all. I could definitely see them taking Fox, Monk or Smith before Jackson or Tatum just because of the roster fit.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sixers are just loaded with bigs. Their best players are Embiid, Simmons, Saric, and Covington. None of those guys can play guard. They'll draft a guard. Monk or Fox. I think monk makes a ton of sense for them. They plan to play Simmons as a point forward, so monk is the perfect style guard to put next to him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wonder if Dallas or NY sound send us their pick for Bledsoe. We could draft Jackson at 4, then Ntilikina at 8/9 or fox at 4 and Isaac at 8/9.

Staying put I like Jackson, fox, and Isaac at 4.
Lessort, bell, and diallo at 32
Iwundu, Simmons, and white at 54

carey

Post by carey »

Calling my shot now. We're open for business at #4 and we trade out.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

What kind of return do you think we get?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

My prediction:

Sixers trade #3 as part of a package for Jimmy Butler.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:Calling my shot now. We're open for business at #4 and we trade out.
Not an insane prediction. Getting younger isn't exactly ideal, but McD needs to be smart about the deal and not make one just because "our guy" isn't available.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Would Sac give us 5 and 10 for 4 and a player? It's risky, but my sig (set a few weeks ago) assumes a trade like that.

I do still like:
Jackson: smart, athletic, runs, passes, defends
Monk: Very quick shot, very explosive scorer
Fox / Ntilik: PGs who play smart, defend, and can shoot a little
Isaac: Can really spread the floor, run, and dunk
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

SDC

Post by SDC »

if mcdo isnt going to trade the pick, then tatum.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

We shouldn't trade the pick. No more shortcuts. We have lots of great options at 4. I am sad that we didn't get the #1, but I don't think the difference between 2-6 in this draft is all that big. There is a good chance Jackson falls to us, which would be ideal. If not, it will likely come down to Fox or Tatum for (I think we should at least consider Smith as well, I think people are sleeping on him). Personally, I'd pick Fox and flip Bledsoe. I am optimistic that Fox is going to be able to develop a serviceable shot, and from a team building standpoint, he just fits in PERFECTLY. His character, athleticism, and defense are exactly what we need. Ideally, I think Bender or Chriss can function as a center in the modern NBA. In that scenario, we would likely need a more traditional big playing off the bench, but that is fine, we can find that. Our only hole (in the Fox scenario) would be at SF, which is something we can handle in the future. If Jackson DOES end up falling to us, all of these puzzle piece end up shifting a bit, and we are missing a guard, but that is a problem we can solve. If this draft is going to do anything for the NBA, it is going to ensure that the league is more guard-heavy than ever.

All in all, this dude right here is very optimistic about the future. We have Booker, who is just starting to scratch the surface of his superstar potential. We have Chriss and Bender, who are each loaded with potential in their own right, and are each perfectly designed for how the game is played these days. And we have this pick, which is going to be freaking good. Let's hang in there gang!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for the pep talk, n4th4n. I needed it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Calling my shot now. We're open for business at #4 and we trade out.
Perfectly possible. But what kind of return should we look for? As we learned with the #7 pick trade with CHI, we shouldn't really use this present pick to acquire a future one. Too volatile of a scenario.

As for current stars, I don't really want to add Jimmy Butler, for instance. Age and Booker make him a weird fit. Cousins would have had my interest for sure, but that ship is gone. George scares the hell out of me, especially after the Lakers have kept their pick. Melo could have made sense three years ago, now is absurd to even entertain it.

Don't want to punish myself wondering why Drummond is not a better basketball player.

Bledsoe and the pick for Aaron Gordon and change (leaning towards no)? For Miles Turner (hesitating a lot)? Porzingis (might as well ask for Davis, Towns or the Freak. Kristaps has got to be untouchable)?

Throw everything at OKC for Westbrook and get laughed at anyway?

This landscape probably means we'll have to settle for the best we can draft and hope for the best.

Man, this lotto has really screwed things up for us.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I wouldnt trade Bledsoe for Gordon straight up.

And the lotto didnt screw anything up IMO, we dont know the Suns board, there is no sure bet that we had Ball 1st or 2nd on the board. Given McD's Kentucky fetish, Fox could be rated higher.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I absolutely would. Good PG prospects are not exactly hard to come by. Gordon will probably never become a complete player, but just his defense gives the rest of our roster a new dimension, and he is still 21, perfect to grow with Booker and the rest of the kids.

TOO

Post by TOO »

He's a PF who has no reliable offensive game, doesn't rebound, and doesn't block shots, Pass. All day. He's a decent defender, but other than that, to me, he's just a guy who gets by on hype from his dunk contest appearances. We don't need him getting in the way of Chriss and Benders development.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Gordon shouldn't be part of any draft trade convo. Jackson and Tatum are better choices.

I think Jackson is our guy and we stick with the youth movement. I just see Jackson as more of a roleplayer than impact offensive player. He'll give us a long, athletic swing with a ton of defensive potential but the form on his jumper really concerns me. He could be a Shawn Marion type or a Corey Brewer/Thabo Sefolosha. I don't see Jimmy Butler or Kawhi like NBADraft.net says.

TOO

Post by TOO »

ShelC wrote:Gordon shouldn't be part of any draft trade convo. Jackson and Tatum are better choices.

I think Jackson is our guy and we stick with the youth movement. I just see Jackson as more of a roleplayer than impact offensive player. He'll give us a long, athletic swing with a ton of defensive potential but the form on his jumper really concerns me. He could be a Shawn Marion type or a Corey Brewer/Thabo Sefolosha. I don't see Jimmy Butler or Kawhi like NBADraft.net says.
Nobody saw a Butler or Kawhi at the time they were drafted either...

I do think he's more of an Iguodala type, he's already a better ball handler and passer than Thabo/Brewer/Marion ever were.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Iguodala isn't a bad comp I guess.

For the rest of the draft, #32 is key and I'm hoping we don't trade it or F it up. If we go SF at 4, I think we go big at #32. I really like what I've seen from Anzejs Pasecniks but he could move up the board. Legit 7-2 with great quickness and agility and real nice skillset. Thomas Bryant could be an option as well. I also think backup SG is a need. I'd be OK with a guy like Thornwell, who's older and more experienced as a college player. Or maybe some kind of combo guard like Frank Jackson who can share time with Bledsoe, Booker, or Ulis.