2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:You think so? There are so many great options...

JJJ is still my favorite, though.
It's because there are so many great options that I think so. I go back and forth on these guys all the time and I can't imagine I'll have a much clearer head come draft day.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I think one of the least appreciated aspects of judging a player is whether he actually mentally engages in the game. That is why I liked Sabonis so much coming into the draft. He was strong, extremely competitive and mentally engaged in what was happening on the court at all times. Chriss, not so much. He had that intoxicating athleticism, but sort of looked like he was in a fog.

That is what terrifies me about Ayton. He just does not seem mentally there. I am not talking intelligence, its just the ability to be focused on what is happening around him. The best players ALL have this, without exception. Even players who seemed like goofballs had this. Barkley for instance, he knew how many points he opponent (player guarding him) had at all times, he also kept track of their foul situation and exploited. The coach never had to tell him.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:I think one of the least appreciated aspects of judging a player is whether he actually mentally engages in the game. That is why I liked Sabonis so much coming into the draft. He was strong, extremely competitive and mentally engaged in what was happening on the court at all times. Chriss, not so much. He had that intoxicating athleticism, but sort of looked like he was in a fog.

That is what terrifies me about Ayton. He just does not seem mentally there. I am not talking intelligence, its just the ability to be focused on what is happening around him. The best players ALL have this, without exception. Even players who seemed like goofballs had this. Barkley for instance, he knew how many points he opponent (player guarding him) had at all times, he also kept track of their foul situation and exploited. The coach never had to tell him.
Very well said. It's why I like Bagley and JJJ best of all the big men in this draft.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JCSunsfan wrote:I think one of the least appreciated aspects of judging a player is whether he actually mentally engages in the game. That is why I liked Sabonis so much coming into the draft. He was strong, extremely competitive and mentally engaged in what was happening on the court at all times. Chriss, not so much. He had that intoxicating athleticism, but sort of looked like he was in a fog.

That is what terrifies me about Ayton. He just does not seem mentally there. I am not talking intelligence, its just the ability to be focused on what is happening around him.
What makes you think that about Ayton?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Trae Young vs Mo Bamba on ESPN right now. Trae racking up assists early.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'm cooling on Trae Young. Texas is kinda exposing him right now on the defensive end and I think a Booker/Young backcourt would get torched. Doesn't help that his shot has been off today. Kinda playing like Booker did last night. Still putting up numbers though.

Bamba isn't impressing me either. Neither in my top 5 right now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jaren Jackson and Miles Bridges on now

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jackson with a block and a big dunk already

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:I'm cooling on Trae Young.
Never was interested, really.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I'm partial because I'm an Auburn fan, but keep an eye on Mustafa Heron. If the Tigers make a run in March (they have the team to do it) I think he's going to play his way into being a 1st rd pick in the 18-25 range. Can shoot it, has an NBA Body, rebounds well for a guard also can finish around the rim. Little "tweener" ish which is a drawback, but he'll be a SG/SF in the league.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I am so surprised that INF hadn't seen Doncic until recently. I figured he would have been all over him.

I think the Suns will be fine wherever they fall, but obviously having more options available with #1 would be ideal. I think looking for the right combinations would be helpful. Pairing Bamba and Carter would fantastic. Doncic and Robinson, along with Young and Bagley would be nice.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I'm partial because I'm an Auburn fan, but keep an eye on Mustafa Heron.
I like Anfernee McLemore.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:I think looking for the right combinations would be helpful. Pairing Bamba and Carter would fantastic. Doncic and Robinson, along with Young and Bagley would be nice.
What makes you interested in Robinson?

And how do the Suns get in the position to draft a combo of Young/Bagby or Bamba/Carter?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:I think looking for the right combinations would be helpful. Pairing Bamba and Carter would fantastic. Doncic and Robinson, along with Young and Bagley would be nice.

And how do the Suns get in the position to draft a combo of Young/Bagby or Bamba/Carter?
I have like Robinson since seeing him in the all-star games. Turns out he was putting up unreal block numbers in EYBL the year before too. He's a very good athlete at the 5 and long. His biggest question mark is his head. Listening to him in interviews, he's not the smartest bulb in the room, and I think he falls even to the Miami pick.

As far as forming combinations, the Suns will have to figure out how to pry a pick from a team, like the Brooklyn pick from Cleveland.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

I have like Robinson since seeing him in the all-star games. Turns out he was putting up unreal block numbers in EYBL the year before too. He's a very good athlete at the 5 and long. His biggest question mark is his head. Listening to him in interviews, he's not the smartest bulb in the room, and I think he falls even to the Miami pick.

As far as forming combinations, the Suns will have to figure out how to pry a pick from a team, like the Brooklyn pick from Cleveland.
Figure out how to pry it from them, without giving up assets of equal value? Sounds like a job for The Godfather.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Figure out how to pry it from them, without giving up assets of equal value? Sounds like a job for The Godfather.
Jerry Colangelo? I wish.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:I'm cooling on Trae Young.
Never was interested, really.
Same.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

INFORMER wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:I'm partial because I'm an Auburn fan, but keep an eye on Mustafa Heron.
I like Anfernee McLemore.
Yea he's added a 3ball this year to go along with his rim protection. He won't be in the draft this year though. I'd be shocked if he didn't stay all 4 years at Auburn. Okeke is a guy who won't leave this year, but will be a pro down the road as well. Turned down Kansas to go to Auburn. He's going to be a stud.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My sense was that a Doncic/Booker backcourt would get roasted defensively. Is Trae Young good on D?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

But Doncic gives you almost unlimited versatility. And IQ. You can use Doncic-Booker and a SF or put a small guard next to those two at the wings. Some think Doncic can hold his own at PF but even in the stretch role I doubt it (and ultimately I think it could be be a waste).

Only Ayton gives me pause. Bagley is not elite athletically for the kind of offense he uses (although I absolutely love his mindset and passion, which you can see in how he is hungry for rebounds). Bemba wouldn't be a bad consolation price, like Porter.

Young is too risky for my taste. I feel his body won't allow him to frequently do whatever he wants in the NBA. Shot selection also a huge concern. And fit next to Booker.