Steve Nash - The Finish Line

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Steve Nash - The Finish Line

Post by carey »

New episode released today, #2:

Previous episode, #1:

I found it really interesting that Steve didn't know what the stretch provision was & when he called Bill Duffy, his agent, Bill was like "Yes, that's my understanding of it." I mean, we have guys on this board that know that provision backwards and forwards. I've read all of cbafaq and I'm sure there are a number of you that have as well. I'd like to think that Bill Duffy has read the CBA since its his job. Nash should have been aware of it going into the year, imo.

As for the rest of the video, it's so hard to watch this man struggle. To acknowledge that if he is cut over the Summer that he'll probably retire (unless the Clippers pick him up). He's still my favorite Sun by a wide margin, even if he's currently wearing purple & gold instead of orange. Hate to see him go out like this instead of on top, but like Nash says in the video, "Father time catches up with all of us." Yup, he's undefeated.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Re: Steve Nash - The Finish Line

Post by SwingMan »

I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it.

When he was here, it felt like he could play as long as he wanted - don't want to see lament.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They are hard to watch. The idea of facing one's own sports mortality is a really sad thing, especially for such a warrior like Nash.

TOO

Post by TOO »

It's a career winding down, not cancer. Yeesh. :lol:
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I refuse to watch it as well. I cringe when I hear "DNP Nerve irritation" after Laker games.

Nash going to the Lakers was a disaster for everyone involved except the Suns.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

^You ain't prospered out of it yet. You thought last year you had, but, Kobe went maniacal and saved the day. Now, we'll get a draft choice, get some money, get Kobe back and you won't get that second Lottery pick as well.

Big shots. Always big shots in Phoenix.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Culburn369 wrote:^You ain't prospered out of it yet. You thought last year you had, but, Kobe went maniacal and saved the day. Now, we'll get a draft choice, get some money, get Kobe back and you won't get that second Lottery pick as well.

Big shots. Always big shots in Phoenix.
4 draft picks ain't a bad haul for a washed-up 40-year-old.

EDC

Post by EDC »

I'm not worried about next years pick. We have a secret weapon. Coach D. :)

carey

Post by carey »

EDC wrote:I'm not worried about next years pick. We have a secret weapon. Coach D. :)
I have a sinking feeling Pringles won't be there next year even if Bus Jr. like's him. It's also going to be a him or me scenario with Pau and we know who Kobe is going to back in that situation.

Also, anyone see that Kobe unfollowed ALL of his teammates on Twitter? Is that the most passive aggressive shit you've ever seen?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

^Only Babby & Donough standing stock still in the middle of Phoenix hoping nothing bad happens for the rest of their lives trumps it.

- "Oh, we can't do anything different. Oh, these young men deserve a chance to finish what they started. Oh, our shit don't stink, but, our farts give us away. Oh, Lon, don't step on that crack, you'll break your mother's back. Oh."

- Donough

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What do you mean, cubs? McDonough is doing a great job so far. Babby's nothing special, but at least he's figured out to back away and leave the player talent evaluation to somebody who knows how to do it.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Babby is a great lawyer and contracts guy, and it was a mistake ever giving him more responsibility then that. He was never a talent evaluator, and was never the problem. Blanks and his personal favorites, like Beasley, Brown, and Hunter, were the problem.

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

Mori Chu wrote:What do you mean, cubs? McDonough is doing a great job so far. Babby's nothing special, but at least he's figured out to back away and leave the player talent evaluation to somebody who knows how to do it.
Len is a disaster.

Gasol would've been a fine addition and without a might of risk. He'd a been driven to show D'Antoni and Kobe and the Lakers they were wrong. He'd a cost you next to nothing now and he'd a been a sweet acquisition next season. You were reckless there and wrong. But, you wanted to smight the Lakers and deny them, rub their nose in it. In other words you took it personal instead of taking it as business.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I think they are going all in for Love, perhaps, or have another target, and just choose to go away from Gasol. I could have justified the Gasol trade in exactly the way you have espoused, but they apparently value the future versatility and financial savings over Gasol. Jury's out until we see what moves they make this summer.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Suns would have been crazy to trade for Gasol. Pau doesn't move the needle. K.Love is an infinitely better target.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:Suns would have been crazy to trade for Gasol. Pau doesn't move the needle. K.Love is an infinitely better target.
Yep.

Despite the unexpected record, we still need to keep the long-term front & center.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Do you guys think Pau doesn't help in our attempt to make the playoffs this season? He is not bringing a title, but I think he would have given us a very needed shot in the arm, at a low cost. If not in terms of money, at least assets wise.

If we don't make the playoffs, how attractive do you think we are to players like Love? I've been pushing a lot to make the postseason, not just for the pure joy of watching real games again, but above all because strategically it puts you on the map for all purposes, superstars included, and also because it gives you a better idea of how valuable are your current players when it really matters, particularly Bledsoe.

Acquiring Gasol would have been a step in that direction. I can't say it would have make sure we make it, but our chances would have improved, considering the holes this team has.

But it's done and it is what it is, so we'll see what happens the rest of the season but I'll tell you that #9 in the West makes me want to puke.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The problem with acquiring a pricey vet is that then you have already invested in him, so you feel obligated to spend to resign him as an FA. Then he and his agent have all the leverage. I would not want to have to sign Pau to his next contract. He will probably get overpaid by somebody. If we want Pau so badly, let's pursue him as an FA when his contact expires. As for making the playoffs this year, we will do that with or without him.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:The problem with acquiring a pricey vet is that then you have already invested in him, so you feel obligated to spend to resign him as an FA. Then he and his agent have all the leverage. I would not want to have to sign Pau to his next contract. He will probably get overpaid by somebody. If we want Pau so badly, let's pursue him as an FA when his contact expires. As for making the playoffs this year, we will do that with or without him.
Maybe as a general rule, but in the case of a 28-30 pick in the first round (at best) I think there is no obligation whatsoever to resign the player if it doesn't fit your plans. In other words, I was ok with just a rental to help making the playoffs.

Honestly I couldn't see any convincing reason to not pull the trigger beyond money. Maybe chemistry. Certainly not the price in assets, let alone this hypothetical obligation.

And one thing that actually bothers me a little is that it seems so many were opposed to make a move for Pau because it is the Lakers. Honestly, I couldn't care less about them.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

Mori Chu wrote:As for making the playoffs this year, we will do that with or without [Pau].
I sorta, kinda, maybe perhaps disagree with this, and I can see Ring's point. I'm glad that we didn't jump the gun at the trade deadline, because it indicates that McD is playing the patient long-game. But I think Pau would have made us a slightly better team instantly, particularly because we struggle with rebounding, and we have no go-to player in clutch situations outside of Dragic. Pau also has far more experience playing in high-pressure situations than anyone on this roster.

I go back and forth on it. I don't see it as a wasted opportunity, as our future is bright regardless. But if the Suns fall just short of the 8th seed when the opportunity existed to give themselves a better chance, it'll be hard to swallow.

If the Suns make the playoffs, though, this all becomes moot and I'll forget I ever said this.