Game Day: Grizzlies (10 - 23) @ Suns (12 - 23), Tues 12/26/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
1tinsoldier

Re: Game Day: Grizzlies (10 - 23) @ Suns (12 - 23), Tues 12/26/17

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Cap wrote:Once upon a time we tried a similar play for Cedric Ceballos at the end of a regular season game at Portland. The pass was a little too high and sailed just over Ceballos's reach. Barkley got to the errant pass, shot it and made it as time expired. I think that was the game KJ injured himself lifting Oliver Miller in celebration.
like i said, an awkward situation that can lead to injuries ;)
I expect us to run this play after every single out of bounds for the rest of the season. It's an automatic 2. /green
sure, why not every out-of-bounds. except for the aforementioned risk of collisions and such

it's like the hail-mary-pass in football which is a 50/50 deal, except the nba receiver has an advantage, so it would probably be 75% effective

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:Once upon a time we tried a similar play for Cedric Ceballos at the end of a regular season game at Portland. The pass was a little too high and sailed just over Ceballos's reach. Barkley got to the errant pass, shot it and made it as time expired. I think that was the game KJ injured himself lifting Oliver Miller in celebration.

Before one of the games this year they did a story on that play. It was designed all along for Barkley to grab it off the backboard. They figured everyone else would be distracted with the failed alley oop that Barkley would just grab the ball and score uncontested.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:

Before one of the games this year they did a story on that play. It was designed all along for Barkley to grab it off the backboard. They figured everyone else would be distracted with the failed alley oop that Barkley would just grab the ball and score uncontested.
Yeah, that play actually went just the way Westy drew it up apparently.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Split T wrote:

Yeah, that play actually went just the way Westy drew it up apparently.
Did Ceballos not know the play? He very nearly touched it, which would have started the clock and left no time for Barkley's shot. In fact, it was rather controversial because the replays couldn't clearly establish whether he touched it or not.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Isn’t there a game on tonight?

I see no game day thread.

Edit: It’s tomorrow. My bad.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:Isn’t there a game on tonight?

Rockets and Celtics tipping off in a few minutes on TNT. I guess we could talk about that if you're as bored as I am.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Cap wrote:
Nodack wrote:Isn’t there a game on tonight?

Rockets and Celtics tipping off in a few minutes on TNT. I guess we could talk about that if you're as bored as I am.
Wow, what an ending. Two straight offensive fouls by Harden on inbounds plays allow the Celtics to complete the comeback from 26 down.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

1tinsoldier wrote:
I expect us to run this play after every single out of bounds for the rest of the season. It's an automatic 2. /green
sure, why not every out-of-bounds. except for the aforementioned risk of collisions and such

it's like the hail-mary-pass in football which is a 50/50 deal, except the nba receiver has an advantage, so it would probably be 75% effective

The hail-mary-pass definitively is not a 50-50 proposition. And only players like Dwight Howard would have a clear advantage going up against players that just need to deflect the ball. The usual alley oop depends a lot on taking off balance the defense and the surprise element. If that play were more effective even if you are expecting it, it would be on every playbook, like the predictable but efective pick & roll or the corner 3, both potent plays if executed right even against prepared defenses.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
1tinsoldier wrote:

The hail-mary-pass definitively is not a 50-50 proposition. And only players like Dwight Howard would have a clear advantage going up against players that just need to deflect the ball. The usual alley oop depends a lot on taking off balance the defense and the surprise element. If that play were more effective even if you are expecting it, it would be on every playbook, like the predictable but efective pick & roll or the corner 3, both potent plays if executed right even against prepared defenses.
Agreed. No idea why people keep thinking that play is easy to pull off and now teams will be running it all the time with a high level of success (50%+? Really?). It's extremely rare. There are less than 10 videos that can be located on YouTube of a similar play happening in basketball games.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:This is kinda fun! 19-10 Suns!
Yeah, it was strange having a first quarter lead. So good to have Booker back.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:That last play was amazing. Is it the highlight of our awful season?

If you haven't seen it already, this page (among others) has a video with a replay of that crazy last second alley-oop to win the game at the buzzer.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2188 ... nal-second
My favorite thing about that play is Bender making the pass. On. The. Money.
Soccer throw in style.
"Be Legendary."

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
1tinsoldier wrote:

1. 50/50 meaning both NFL offense and defense have an equal chance
2. it probably IS in every playbook now
3. if a coach doesn't run it now it is likely for reasons other than effectiveness
4. again, passer shoots to make basket, catcher only has to touch ball, and defender can be forced under basket
5. it can never be expected or predictable. it can be a ruse to get 2 defenders near the basket for open outside shot

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

1.I know what you meant. You are wrong, that kind of odds would make it one of the most used plays in the league.
2. Very likely, since it could be mixed with the classic desperation shot were the player tries to shoot the ball without catching it.
3. It will be a situational play, and again, very dependent on the match ups under the basket, few teams could run it effectively.
4. Easier to say than to execute.
5. It was a great highlight, but let’s wait a few weeks before name it the next great play, more likely to become a gimmick, like bouncing the ball off the opponent back, than an integral part of a team’s game plan or playbook.