Around the League: Week 19 2/19-2/25

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 19 2/19-2/25

Post by carey »

Sports Illustrated published an article about the Mavericks today that is... not good. Lets just say there are a great many employees that have likely had cause to use the hashtag #MeToo.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/20/dalla ... n-response

The Mavericks have also responded.

https://www.mavs.com/statement-from-dal ... d-article/
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Re: Around the League: Week 19 2/19-2/25

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: --
Tuesday: --
Wednesday: --
Thursday: Washington @ Cleveland 8:00 PM EST TNT, L.A. Clippers @ Golden State 10:30 PM EST TNT
Friday: Minnesota @ Houston 8:00 PM EST ESPN, Dallas @ L.A. Lakers ESPN
Saturday: OKC @ Golden State 8:30 PM EST ABC
Sunday: San Antonio @ Cleveland 3:30 PM EST ABC, Philadelphia @ Washington 8:00 PM ESPN
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

No comments? Twitter is frenzied. Some people are saying Cuban needs to be forced to sell like Sterling had to sell the Clippers.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:No comments? Twitter is frenzied. Some people are saying Cuban needs to be forced to sell like Sterling had to sell the Clippers.
Didn't get to read it until this morning. I have a really hard time believing Cuban didn't know about the behavior.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think Cuban's a boob (no, not that kind), but there's no smoking gun and no direct link at this point connecting him to knowing about the (alleged) harassment.

I'm not saying he didn't know, or that it will come to light that there's evidence that it happened and he was aware of it, but at this point any action taken against him by the league would be premature.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:Sports Illustrated published an article about the Mavericks today that is... not good. Lets just say there are a great many employees that have likely had cause to use the hashtag #MeToo.

This is a pretty big bombshell. My twitter is full of comments about this issue with the Mavs today. Wow. I read that there's one guy working there who had multiple harassment issues with women, and they kept him there for 4 more years, just making him sign a document promising not to do it again. Oof. Well, this is a chance for Cuban to show that he doesn't tolerate this kind of stuff. Clean house; fix it right away.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
carey wrote:Sports Illustrated published an article about the Mavericks today that is... not good. Lets just say there are a great many employees that have likely had cause to use the hashtag #MeToo.

This is a pretty big bombshell. My twitter is full of comments about this issue with the Mavs today. Wow. I read that there's one guy working there who had multiple harassment issues with women, and they kept him there for 4 more years, just making him sign a document promising not to do it again. Oof. Well, this is a chance for Cuban to show that he doesn't tolerate this kind of stuff. Clean house; fix it right away.
Too late for that. Hard to believe he was caught totally unaware.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I agree that he has culpability. What should he do now? If he reacts swiftly and strongly, can he recover from this? Will the league try to compel him to sell the team? (My guess is not.)

carey

Post by carey »

The Bobster wrote:I think Cuban's a boob (no, not that kind), but there's no smoking gun and no direct link at this point connecting him to knowing about the (alleged) harassment.

I'm not saying he didn't know, or that it will come to light that there's evidence that it happened and he was aware of it, but at this point any action taken against him by the league would be premature.
Except the guy Marty is talking about put out a statement that thanked Mark Cuban for getting him help. That seems to me like he knew something or else why would he say that?

https://deadspin.com/fired-mavericks-em ... 1823181772
I thank Buddy Pittman for helping me to grow during that time, and I thank Mark Cuban for his willingness to help facilitate that growth.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

There goes Cuban's chances for a Presidential run. No way we'd elect someone who covered up allegations of sexual and physical abuse.

carey

Post by carey »

Things are not going well for Dallas atm. Cuban was just fined for his comments on tanking.

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/966409578723336193

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

jonh

Post by jonh »

ShelC wrote:There goes Cuban's chances for a Presidential run. No way we'd elect someone who covered up allegations of sexual and physical abuse.
Off-topic question: Are there MAGA members on the board? I feel like I frequently read anti (but not prob)-Trump sentiments here (admittedly, I am a pretty outspoken Trump critic myself, but I would bet that not all Suns fans are). Not saying I'm craving more politically-charged arguments on this board, but I don't frequently hear anyone try to link pro-Trump messages into their posts.

Im fine to move this to the off-topic section. I only included in this discussion, as it already is a little off topic, and the question didn't seem as bad as our team's play during the last 2 months. :D

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:Things are not going well for Dallas atm. Cuban was just fined for his comments on tanking.
What did he say?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This should go off-topic or in the politics section. I was only making a joke, but shouldn't have in this thread.

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

O_Gardino wrote:
carey wrote:Things are not going well for Dallas atm. Cuban was just fined for his comments on tanking.
What did he say?
he told players tanking was their best option

600k is an awfully large penalty for speaking what many teams are obviously thinking every year
but being professional and responsible is the role of team owner
just like protecting your employees from harassment

carey

Re: RE: Re: Around the League: Week 19 2/19-2/25

Post by carey »

jonh wrote:
ShelC wrote:There goes Cuban's chances for a Presidential run. No way we'd elect someone who covered up allegations of sexual and physical abuse.
Off-topic question: Are there MAGA members on the board? I feel like I frequently read anti (but not prob)-Trump sentiments here (admittedly, I am a pretty outspoken Trump critic myself, but I would bet that not all Suns fans are). Not saying I'm craving more politically-charged arguments on this board, but I don't frequently hear anyone try to link pro-Trump messages into their posts.

Im fine to move this to the off-topic section. I only included in this discussion, as it already is a little off topic, and the question didn't seem as bad as our team's play during the last 2 months. :D
There is always SDC in the politics folder if you are looking for pro-Trump stuff.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

1tinsoldier wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
What did he say?
he told players tanking was their best option

600k is an awfully large penalty for speaking what many teams are obviously thinking every year
but being professional and responsible is the role of team owner
just like protecting your employees from harassment
Did he tell DSJ, "We don't want to get stuck with the 9th pick again." :twisted:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

jonh wrote:

I really like to keep any overt political chatter over in the Politics folder, so that people can choose whether or not they want to be part of it. I would certainly encourage you to go over there if you want to discuss the quoted topic above. Any reasonable opinion is welcome as long as everybody is respectful to each other.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Certainly not a good day for Cuban.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This popped up on my Timeline
Bulls being #1 is interesting and I was wondering where we are

https://twitter.com/bball_ref/status/966416021631455232

We are 23rd which is no surprise but I didn't expect to see Wolves #21, Nuggets #22 and Bucks #24. Thought those fan bases were behind their potential Playoff teams and the couple Pacers games I watched felt like the place was rocking so #28 for them is a shock.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)