Roster Rebuild Game

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Roster Rebuild Game

Post by Split T »

Ok, here's my updated plan for the off-season that will never happen.

Trade #1, #31 and Troy Daniels to Orlando for #6, Jonathan Isaac, future protected 1st.

Trade #6 with future protected 1st to Atlanta for #3

Draft Luka Doncic at 3

Draft Khyri Thomas at 16

Sign Dewayne Dedmon in FA

Trade Warren, Chandler, Bender and Mil Pick to CHA for Kemba Walker and Nic Batum

PG Kemba, Knight, Ulis
SG Booker, Thomas, Harrison
SF Doncic, Jackson, House
PF Batum, Isaac, Dudley
C Dedmon, Chriss, Williams

Tons of ball handlers and versatile defenders and shooters.

Some really fun small ball switchy lineups

Kemba/Booker/Jackson/Doncic/Isaac or
Doncic/Booker/Jackson/Batum/Isaac

Indy

Post by Indy »

Moving from 3 to 6 in this draft plus who knows where in a future draft seems like a move you don't make if you sucked and are trying to rebuild.

Cap

Post by Cap »

In fairness, he did say it will never happen.

Nothing wrong with dreaming, as long as you know it’s a dream.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Where's your totem, Cap?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Never tried it. Anyone here who has?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:Moving from 3 to 6 in this draft plus who knows where in a future draft seems like a move you don't make if you sucked and are trying to rebuild.
It's probably not likely, but if they were all in on Bagley and he was off the board and saw JJJ and Bamba as similar prospects and that they could get one at 6? Possible

pickle

Post by pickle »

Why would we want to bring in veterans at this point? Because we have space under the cap we want to spend before Booker's extension kicks in? Why don't we let the young guys play together for a while and figure out what we truly need on this team before springing for a difference making veteran?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

pickle wrote:Why would we want to bring in veterans at this point? Because we have space under the cap we want to spend before Booker's extension kicks in? Why don't we let the young guys play together for a while and figure out what we truly need on this team before springing for a difference making veteran?
We can have cap space in 2019 if we do nothing but signing the picks and renounce to FAs, but we'd be betting on internal growth. If we suck again despite the new coach and one more year of experience from the kids, we are not going to attract the top FAs you'd be saving said cap space for. Look at the 76rs, they are making noise as a FA destination because they started to win, and a big part of that was the addition of Redick, plus Ily and Belinelli (even Amir). There is also the (minimal, I want to believe) risk that that much losing alienates Booker. Strategically, the Suns need their Redick move. Who that Redick would be in our case? At this moment you can't tell because the picks have not been made.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
pickle wrote:Why would we want to bring in veterans at this point? Because we have space under the cap we want to spend before Booker's extension kicks in? Why don't we let the young guys play together for a while and figure out what we truly need on this team before springing for a difference making veteran?
We can have cap space in 2019 if we do nothing but signing the picks and renounce to FAs, but we'd be betting on internal growth. If we suck again despite the new coach and one more year of experience from the kids, we are not going to attract the top FAs you'd be saving said cap space for. Look at the 76rs, they are making noise as a FA destination because they started to win, and a big part of that was the addition of Redick, plus Ily and Belinelli (even Amir). There is also the (minimal, I want to believe) risk that that much losing alienates Booker. Strategically, the Suns need their Redick move. Who that Redick would be in our case? At this moment you can't tell because the picks have not been made.
EXACTLY

pickle

Post by pickle »

I'm sorry but what free agents are we attracting this year? Until we demonstrate some semblance of normalcy with the new coaching staff, what free agent worth his salt would want to come here? I don't want another Marcus Banks situation where we end up taking some reject from other teams because we can pay higher dollars. If the general organizational atmosphere is healthy, another sub 500 year is not going to ruin the team. As you said, look at the sixers...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

pickle wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:16 am
I'm sorry but what free agents are we attracting this year? Until we demonstrate some semblance of normalcy with the new coaching staff, what free agent worth his salt would want to come here? I don't want another M****s B***s situation where we end up taking some reject from other teams because we can pay higher dollars. If the general organizational atmosphere is healthy, another sub 500 year is not going to ruin the team. As you said, look at the sixers...
I my mind, it will depend on what happens during the draft. If the Suns pull off a trade or 2 which brings in win now vets, like KAT and Kemba for the picks, a player like George or even LeBron will look at the Suns as a viable option, seeing 2 All-Stars and another in Booker.

If the Suns come out of the draft with another couple rookies, although very talented, those top free agents may not see the Suns as serious options, even if they are one of the only teams with money to spend.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

A CJ trade for the likes of TJ /1 project PF / salary filler + some protected future pics may be benifcial for both teams. But cjs salary is to be at least a number 2 option. And Portland didn't get anywhere with him as a number 2 option. We need some inside scoring to ensure it's not just him and booker bombing away all the time.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

A bunch of folks about getting batuum in any Kenna trade. I like him as a player but his contract is high and awfully long

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Danimal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 am
A CJ trade for the likes of TJ /1 project PF / salary filler + some protected future pics may be benifcial for both teams. But cjs salary is to be at least a number 2 option. And Portland didn't get anywhere with him as a number 2 option. We need some inside scoring to ensure it's not just him and booker bombing away all the time.
Where is Cj going to play for us? Unless you’re planning on Booker starting at PG.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 am
pickle wrote:
I'm sorry but what free agents are we attracting this year? Until we demonstrate some semblance of normalcy with the new coaching staff, what free agent worth his salt would want to come here? I don't want another M****s B***s situation where we end up taking some reject from other teams because we can pay higher dollars. If the general organizational atmosphere is healthy, another sub 500 year is not going to ruin the team. As you said, look at the sixers...
I my mind, it will depend on what happens during the draft. If the Suns pull off a trade or 2 which brings in win now vets, like KAT and Kemba for the picks, a player like George or even LeBron will look at the Suns as a viable option, seeing 2 All-Stars and another in Booker.

If the Suns come out of the draft with another couple rookies, although very talented, those top free agents may not see the Suns as serious options, even if they are one of the only teams with money to spend.
If we acquired Kemba and KAT we’d have no money for anyone else.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That's not necessarily true. Kemba is only 12 million a year and can easily be offset by including Warren in the deal. KAT is still on a rookie deal paying him 7.8 million this year. Include Bender or Chriss in a deal and dump Troy Daniels and we still have 18 million in space. Not enough for a max, but still able to sign a player or two.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:39 am
In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:

KAT would be a wash with the #1 pick. If you could trade for Kemba in a salary matching type trade it becomes a wash again.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:54 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:

KAT would be a wash with the #1 pick. If you could trade for Kemba in a salary matching type trade it becomes a wash again.

What? No dude. KAT would not be a wash with the number one pick. We’d sign him to a max extension. We’d then have Booker, KAT and Kemba all at max or near max deals.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 am
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
pickle wrote:

What? No dude. KAT would not be a wash with the number one pick. We’d sign him to a max extension. We’d then have Booker, KAT and Kemba all at max or near max deals.
For this upcoming season, it's a wash. The Max extension wouldn't start until the '19-'20 season. Sorry, I thought we were talking about this upcoming season, not the season after.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 am
specialsauce wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 am
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

For this upcoming season, it's a wash. The Max extension wouldn't start until the '19-'20 season. Sorry, I thought we were talking about this upcoming season, not the season after.
Oh got it. Makes sense now