2018 Suns Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2018 Suns Offseason News

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:54 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:58 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:44 pm
With the lottery reform, tanking isn't even worth it like it used to be. I won't cheer for a loss at any point of the season anymore, as it was seriously soul crushing and made me sick. I want to see the Suns compete each and every night putting a scare into the contenders, stealing some games they shouldn't, sneaking up on teams, surprising the league and whooping up on the inferior teams into a playoff birth.
Am I misreading you? You say that tanking isn't worth it. But we just tanked and got the #1 pick. Didn't tanking help us achieve that? Or have I misunderstood what you meant?
one of the others would give the specific numbers but In2ition is referring to the changes in the draft lottery for the odds. probability of landing the #1 pick is suppose to be more even for the lower teams so having the worst record isn't "suppose" to be as appealing.....
Ya, tanking is just less effective. Bottom 3 teams each have a 14% chance at #1 and they will draw for 4 spots. Odds are flatter all the way through the lottery. My guess is the worst team will be picking 5th often.

Also, I don't know if In2 was considering where we are at as a team, but I think tanking makes less sense for us. We have some elite talents we need to develop. Developing them and teaching them to win is more important than adding more elite talent.

I will say, if we do land in the top of the lottery...Cam Reddish is my top guy so far.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:36 am
Odds are flatter all the way through the lottery.
No they aren’t. That’s mathematically impossible. The odds are flatter in some places, and steeper in others.

Dropping from #14 to #8 used to mean 23 more ping pong balls. Now it means 55.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 am
Cap wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:43 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:53 am
I just really need some Suns news. We’re definitely in the dead zone of the offseason. This is the worst time
Of year in sports, all we have is baseball (snoozefest until the playoffs)
There’s also BattleBots. And we’re about to get a new Robot Wars series premiering this week; I hope that’s good too.

I like that BattleBots as well and am looking forward to Robot Wars. We also have the PGA starting on Thursday and the Cardinals first pre season game and should see Josh Rosen. Not horrible.
This should maybe move over to the General folder if we’re going to continue to discuss it, but if we’re not I just want to say that I was really disappointed in the premiere of Robot Wars. They don’t so much show a battle as show excerpts from a battle, and the lame commentator made me feel like I was watching Beyblade Burst (

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Nice article from bright side here on how Igor May use T.J.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2018 ... oenix-suns

If he can add a respectable 3pt shot , I think he could be really good in an Igor system.

Jackson is still the one I worry about the most. His shot and handles didn’t look vastly improved at summer league.
Last edited by Danimal on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Also for 2k fans out there, did you see Ayton got a rating of 79

Donkik got the same score. Bagley got 78. Trae young will probably be more useful in 2k than he will in an actual nba game.

I think when I buy the new version I’ll trade Jackson and other pieces to the Knicks for Knox and their French pg 😅😅

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:42 pm

If he can add a respectable 3pt shot , I think he could be really good in an Igor system.

Jackson is still the one I worry about the most. His s*** and handles didn’t look vastly improved at summer league.
I thought his form had improved a little, but when you change your form your shooting %s will dip a little at first. In my experience when helping players change their shooting form, it's very hard as they have to first believe that what they are doing will work eventually and aren't discouraged by ego to just go back when it doesn't go in as often or consistently as they expect.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:47 pm
Danimal wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Jackson is still the one I worry about the most. His s*** and handles didn’t look vastly improved at summer league.
I thought his form had improved a little, but when you change your form your shooting %s will dip a little at first. In my experience when helping players change their shooting form, it's very hard as they have to first believe that what they are doing will work eventually and aren't discouraged by ego to just go back when it doesn't go in as often or consistently as they expect.
True. The work out vids of his shot pre summer league did look smoother. In summer League it very much did not. Hopefully his shooting coach can use this for good measure.

I used to coach teenagers and helping their shooting form was one of my favorite things.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

For those of you who reside in the LA area

https://twitter.com/DanWoikeSports/status/1028013650840186880

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Good podcast with Sam Vecenie on 7SOL podcast talking about Deandre Ayton.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

i wonder if david griffin wants the suns gm job.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Are We Sure … That Devin Booker Is a Franchise Player?

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/ ... oenix-suns
The Suns made Booker the first max player of the 2015 draft class. Can he live up to the expectations that come along with all that cash?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 am

The Suns made Booker the first max player of the 2015 draft class. Can he live up to the expectations that come along with all that cash?
There is already a lot of hate going towards the author from all of the booker-stans, but you can't argue with anything in that piece.

Cap

Post by Cap »

New BdotAdot5 video: Amare Stoudemire & Steve Nash Be Like...

[youtube][/youtube]

Wow, they really beat that finger licking joke into the ground, don’t they?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:01 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

There is already a lot of hate going towards the author from all of the booker-stans, but you can't argue with anything in that piece.
Yeah, I didn't dislike the article. I just don't like articles that don't put his situation in context and just look at the numbers(advanced numbers in specific). They don't usually tell you that he was double and tripled teamed all season. They don't also explain that the spacing his his offense was terrible all season, and that he never had more than 1 shooter on the floor at the same time all season. Or that Len couldn't finish a lob when it was served up to him. Or that no one ever worried about the centers in a post up. Or that no one on the floor with him could create for themselves and depended way too much on Devin to get them shots. Or just how atrocious the coaching situation was and how it's ramification carried over to Triano without him being able to have a training camp to fix them.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 am
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Yeah, I didn't dislike the article. I just don't like articles that don't put his situation in context and just look at the numbers(advanced numbers in specific). They don't usually tell you that he was double and tripled teamed all season. They don't also explain that the spacing his his offense was terrible all season, and that he never had more than 1 shooter on the floor at the same time all season. Or that Len couldn't finish a lob when it was served up to him. Or that no one ever worried about the centers in a post up. Or that no one on the floor with him could create for themselves and depended way too much on Devin to get them shots. Or just how atrocious the coaching situation was and how it's ramification carried over to Triano without him being able to have a training camp to fix them.
I think that is all understood when they say he is on the worst team in the league over the last 3 years. It all comes down to if he can be a great player on at least a decent team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:27 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

I think that is all understood when they say he is on the worst team in the league over the last 3 years. It all comes down to if he can be a great player on at least a decent team.
Yes for some, but others think he's the main reason that they aren't any good and see his ceiling as a 4th or 5th best player on a playoff team.

I'm all for putting a good balanced team with a good coach around him and let's find out if he can be a franchise player or not.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:27 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Yes for some, but others think he's the main reason that they aren't any good and see his ceiling as a 4th or 5th best player on a playoff team.

I'm all for putting a good balanced team with a good coach around him and let's find out if he can be a franchise player or not.
Yeah, but if he is such a generational talent, shouldn't he be able to bring a team up from the worst over 3 years to like 3 or 4th worst? It is a very fair question to ask. When the article compares what he has done to guys like KD, LBJ, and Kobe, it doesn't talk about how much better those teams fared during the first 3 years.

In KD's 3rd season they made the playoffs, and then the conference finals in his 4th, and NBA finals in his 5th.

LBJ was in the playoffs by year 3, then NBA finals in year 4.

Kobe was in the playoffs all of his first 4 years, and had a title by the end of year 4.

I realize these are not apples to apples comparisons, but we do keep comparing Book to these guys and say how amazing he is. I hope that is true, and we see it this year. But I have a hard time faulting national sports media for not loving him as much as we do. He hasn't brought the team up at all since he got here. That isn't all on him, but part of it is.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

You lost me a lil there Indy :shock:

Using team record to judge Booker value isn't unfair especially if it is only going from worst to 4th worst which is a generous benchmark but problem with that is haven't we intentionally sat Booker and/or he been out injured last two seasons. So to say he hasn't helped team record last two seasons still a lil misleading

KD n Kobes team situation means imo they don't qualify for this discussion and LeBron Cavs situation is a better comp but that dude is argued as greatest ever so....
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think there is a good chance, even with the strength of the West, that there could be a big and surprising leap made by the Suns if you are comparing Booker's improvement towards KD, LeBron, and Steph in relation to how their teams went from bad to good. I think this obviously has a lot to do with the other guys(Josh, Dragan, Davon, Shaq & Chriss) making similar improvements and leaps, along with 2 of the 3 rookies actually making a neutral to positive impact this year. I guess I'm hoping for a leap like either the Thunder or the Warriors made in KD's 3rd season and Steph's 4th.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If you guys can't recognize the trajectory of Booker's career, I don't know what to tell you.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan