Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: 2018 Offseason

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:19 am
I'm just a little baffled that we seem to have broken the bank for Bridges without a plan in place to open up significant PT for him.

I was almost positive that it meant Warren or Jackson would be traded within 48-72 hours, that the Suns had something lined up to turn the crowded position into another asset, possibly at PF or PG.

I guess I'm an idiot for thinking McD would be proactive and not reactive for a change.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bridges. I actually prefer to keep him and trade TJ or JJ, which one is depending on the talent coming back in return.
This is a classic McDo "acquire an asset, let the coaching staff figure it out" move. I like the potential of Bridges a lot, but our SF (and to a lesser extent, PF) situation is really dumb right now. It would come closer to making sense if we traded Warren (or Jackson, but they don't seem to want to do that). But they don't seem to be very actively pursuing trades right now. Maybe they're still working on something, but I don't have a ton of optimism.

We will be better than last year, but I don't see why anybody thinks we will be even close to .500 or playoffs with such broken rotations at PG, SF, and PF.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
I'm just a little baffled that we seem to have broken the bank for Bridges without a plan in place to open up significant PT for him.

I was almost positive that it meant Warren or Jackson would be traded within 48-72 hours, that the Suns had something lined up to turn the crowded position into another asset, possibly at PF or PG.

I guess I'm an idiot for thinking McD would be proactive and not reactive for a change.

Don't get me wrong, I like Bridges. I actually prefer to keep him and trade TJ or JJ, which one is depending on the talent coming back in return.
Not an idiot. Just someone that figured people learn from their repeated mistakes. Not everyone does. Let's hope it works out this time.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'm willing to wait and see until the offseason is over before I judge ours.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:43 pm
That is a very fair take.

Do you expect us to make a move to remove some of the logjam?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:47 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:43 pm
That is a very fair take.

Do you expect us to make a move to remove some of the logjam?
Expect? Dunno. Hope? Yes.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:42 am
specialsauce wrote:

Ariza is on a one year deal. So after this year, that will be clearer I think.
Ariza is just the tip of the iceberg. Forget about him. This team needed some vets that are good now, and less potentially good but more likely horrible young players (Chriss, Bender). So I'm okay with the Ariza acquisition. I'm more confused about JJ, TJ and Bridges. Especially TJ and JJ, neither of which can hit a 3 ball and both of them are chuckers so it's impossible to play them together and expect us to win.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Logjam aside, I think eventually by the trade deadline, the Suns move Brandon Knight and the Milwaukee pick to Sacramento, Chicacgo, or Atlanta for an expiring contract.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:31 pm
Logjam aside, I think eventually by the trade deadline, the Suns move Brandon Knight and the Milwaukee pick to Sacramento, Chicacgo, or Atlanta for an expiring contract.
You think those teams are willing to pay $16M to get that pick? (admittedly, I am assuming BK isn't a benefit to anyone)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
I don't mean to take potshots at your general theory of how things will go. But I don't see why this scenario would happen. If Knight is doing badly enough that we want rid of him by this trade deadline, then why would any of those teams want to acquire him? Even if a pick is involved, they would be taking on potentially tens of millions of dollars in salary. Historically teams have not paid that much to acquire a single middling first round pick. I just don't think we would be able to swing a deal like that; if Knight is that bad, teams will know better.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well Atlanta did just take on 27 million in Carmelo for a middling 1st round pick...

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Trump vs. LeBron beef heating up.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:42 pm
INFORMER wrote:
I don't mean to take potshots at your general theory of how things will go. But I don't see why this scenario would happen. If Knight is doing badly enough that we want rid of him by this trade deadline, then why would any of those teams want to acquire him?
I wasn't operating under the premise that Knight was going to be bad. I think Knight will be solid and will be productive. But I don't think he will be in the Suns plans going forward, and I think they will prioritize cap space over any contributions he provides.

Split is right. Atlanta just took on $27 million for a 1st round pick that won't be a lottery pick. Brooklyn just took on $21 million for a mid-first round pick.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:17 am
Trump vs. LeBron beef heating up.
That news is definitely sports/NBA related. But in the interest of harmony in the main area, if we want to discuss that topic, let's do it in the Politics section. I made a thread about it in the Politics section in case anybody wants to talk about that topic there:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1657

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

https://twitter.com/DidTheSixersWin/status/1026837945414766592

Indy

Post by Indy »

UglyTruth wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:01 pm

https://twitter.com/DidTheSixersWin/status/1026837945414766592

Trust the process

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Not too surprised here although figure the Brow/Jokic would be getting a Xmas game instead of Blazers.
Was happy for Donovan and pleasantly surprised how well he played tbh, guess the icing on the cake for him is Jazz getting a Xmas game. Is it just me though or does a Xmas game in Utah seem weird :lol:

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1027196583115456513

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Cap

Post by Cap »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:53 am
Not too surprised here although figure the Brow/Jokic would be getting a Xmas game instead of Blazers.
Was happy for Donovan and pleasantly surprised how well he played tbh, guess the icing on the cake for him is Jazz getting a Xmas game. Is it just me though or does a Xmas game in Utah seem weird :lol:

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1027196583115456513

“Shaq and Kobe 2.0” doesn’t get a Christmas game. I guess the decision makers are unconvinced by Ayton’s rhetoric.

Closest we’re going to get to Shaq and Kobe is if we pick up Simmons and put him out there with Harrison.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And yet we get the Knicks and Lakers again on Christmas no matter how bad they are.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Lakers have LeBron. They’d be on even if they weren’t the Lakers.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/JustRyCole/status/1027317863076384768

Go Suns!

Og Snus!