Game Day (Summer League): Suns (1-0) @ Kings (0-0), Sat 7/7/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: Game Day (Summer League): Suns (1-0) @ Kings (0-0), Sat 7/7/18

Post by UglyTruth »

Suns should show Ayton some Ziziz tape and tell him to play like this. Now this is how a big man is supposed to play! (there’s actually a pretty cool Ayton/Bagley interview in this clip as well)

[youtube][/youtube]

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:53 am
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 766084002/

Here's part of the problem:
“That’s something he’s got to learn,” Jackson added. “How to hold guys off and give us a target. Reach one hand up so we can deliver it to him. When we get it to him, he’s really good in there with it.”

That might require, in addition to better body position, a mindset change from Ayton.

“I let the game come to me,” he said. “I tell my teammates, ‘If you don’t see the pass, don’t throw it. Don’t force it.’ I’m not a guy who will really try to force myself and hunt shots down.”
Ayton doesn't currently understand that he has to do work ahead of time and demand the ball. You do need to "force" yourself. You need to understand that you're bigger and more skilled than most other guys and we want you to dominate.
So this means that if Ayton adapted a dominant mindset, he could get 40/20 instead of 20/10?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:53 am
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 766084002/

Here's part of the problem:
“That’s something he’s got to learn,” Jackson added. “How to hold guys off and give us a target. Reach one hand up so we can deliver it to him. When we get it to him, he’s really good in there with it.”

That might require, in addition to better body position, a mindset change from Ayton.

“I let the game come to me,” he said. “I tell my teammates, ‘If you don’t see the pass, don’t throw it. Don’t force it.’ I’m not a guy who will really try to force myself and hunt shots down.”
Ayton doesn't currently understand that he has to do work ahead of time and demand the ball. You do need to "force" yourself. You need to understand that you're bigger and more skilled than most other guys and we want you to dominate.
So this means that if Ayton adapted a dominant mindset, he could get 40/20 instead of 20/10?
In SL, sure. For an NBA game, it would probably translate to something like 25/12.
"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:40 am
SDC wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:31 am
early take: ayton is the poor mans version of a young hassan whiteside
Young Hassan Whiteside was awful. And even Hassan Whiteside now isn't anything like Ayton. Ayton's passing is more advanced than Whiteside, and he has better scoring skills. Whiteside is a far better rim protector.
the early version of whiteside had good interior scoring skills and is also athletic, and pretended to care enough about defense to lead the league in blocks at one time. but both seem to be not good at defending pick and rolls or switching.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

SDC wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:31 pm
INFORMER wrote:
SDC wrote:
Young Hassan Whiteside was awful. And even Hassan Whiteside now isn't anything like Ayton. Ayton's passing is more advanced than Whiteside, and he has better scoring skills. Whiteside is a far better rim protector.
the early version of whiteside had good interior scoring skills and is also athletic, and pretended to care enough about defense to lead the league in blocks at one time. but both seem to be not good at defending pick and rolls or switching.
The early version of Hassan Whiteside washed out of the league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

n4th4n wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:57 pm
SDC wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
SDC wrote:
exactly.

Indy

Post by Indy »

that quote by DA makes me crazy. you are the biggest, strongest guy on the court. you can't just let the game come to you and not force your will on others. Don't have a bender mindset.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The coach is going to have to crack that skull. And the trainers better give him legs asap.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:51 pm
that quote by DA makes me crazy. you are the biggest, strongest guy on the court. you can't just let the game come to you and not force your will on others. Don't have a bender mindset.
Like we knew coming in, he isn't a finished product. Let's hope we can drill that into him and he gets it at some point. He's going to see his opponents do it to him and hopefully he'll learn quickly. He's a proud guy so he's not just going to take it. He's going to want to give it back.
"Be Legendary."

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:49 pm
n4th4n wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:57 pm
SDC wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
SDC wrote:
exactly.
I am saying that the early version of Whiteside was NOT good at interior scoring, using his athleticism, or even pretending to care about defense. That is clear by the fact that he washed out of the league. Comparing Ayton to 21-year old Whiteside is insane.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Who was talking about Bender's % on contested shots? Giles contested his stuff pretty well in the first play of the game haha.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Yo there are times you can't tell the difference between Jackson and Shaq.