Game Day (Summer League): Magic (2-0) @ Suns (2-0), Mon 7/9/18

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day (Summer League): Magic (2-0) @ Suns (2-0), Mon 7/9/18

Post by Mori Chu »

Xylus wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:47 am
Little help with the Youtube tag? It's just showing the link for me.
It doesn't work with the short "youtu.be" links.

YES: [ youtube ] [ / youtube ]

NO: [ youtube ] [ / youtube ]

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 pm
Great game for Ayton. Very promising SL for him overall. I have been as skeptical as anybody (and I may groan if Doncic looks great in his first few games), but I have to give Ayton credit. He's looked like a real phenom big man in the making so far. Exciting potential.

Davon Reed looks fantastic in all 3 games. I really hope they figure out a way to keep him on the roster.

I'm not a big Harrison fan, but I agree with everyone else that he played great defense in this one.

Okobo quietly had an 0-4 shooting night, 3 assists, 2 TO. Bridges also shot 0-for-3.

Don't know what to say about Josh Jackson. I expect better from our supposed second-best player (before Ayton). I remain very skeptical about him. I don't think his offense actually helps us win games. Love his energy and hustle and toughness and defense. But I basically cringe every time he shoots the ball, and I don't think he helps facilitate an offense the way others claim he does. He had 1 assist and 5 TOs tonight, along with 3-for-13 shooting. That's awful offense.

http://www.nba.com/games/20180709/ORLPHX#/boxscore
With Jackson it's more about what we see him capable of doing. He shows flashes of ball handling and passing, but he's not great right now...I also wouldn't call him our 2nd best player. Warren is definitely better right now and I'd imagine Ariza will be this year too

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 pm

With Jackson it's more about what we see him capable of doing. He shows flashes of ball handling and passing, but he's not great right now...I also wouldn't call him our 2nd best player. Warren is definitely better right now and I'd imagine Ariza will be this year too
I don't think Jackson is our 2nd-best player, either. But the team clearly does. He's treated that way and presented that way by the management, coaching staff, and marketing people.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Great game for Ayton. Very promising SL for him overall. I have been as skeptical as anybody (and I may groan if Doncic looks great in his first few games), but I have to give Ayton credit. He's looked like a real phenom big man in the making so far. Exciting potential.

Davon Reed looks fantastic in all 3 games. I really hope they figure out a way to keep him on the roster.

I'm not a big Harrison fan, but I agree with everyone else that he played great defense in this one.

Okobo quietly had an 0-4 shooting night, 3 assists, 2 TO. Bridges also shot 0-for-3.

Don't know what to say about Josh Jackson. I expect better from our supposed second-best player (before Ayton). I remain very skeptical about him. I don't think his offense actually helps us win games. Love his energy and hustle and toughness and defense. But I basically cringe every time he shoots the ball, and I don't think he helps facilitate an offense the way others claim he does. He had 1 assist and 5 TOs tonight, along with 3-for-13 shooting. That's awful offense.

I feel like Jackson's go to move is to try to overpower his opponent with speed and athleticism and he hasn't really developed a skilled go to move, because he never had to. He really needs to go work with Drew Hanlan if Igor and his staff aren't helping him develop his game.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:38 pm
Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

I feel like Jackson's go to move is to try to overpower his opponent with speed and athleticism and he hasn't really developed a skilled go to move, because he never had to. He really needs to go work with Drew Hanlan if Igor and his staff aren't helping him develop his game.
I just really hope that we aren’t loyal to him to a fault just because of his draft status. If Bridges is the better player and it is apparent after the first 15 games, he should start and Jackson should have to compete for backup minutes.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I just came across a guy on Twitter that named Bridges as one of his disappointments of the summer. He thinks all he does is shoot from 3, can't create for himself and his defense has been a mixed bag. As far as I know he's shot 5/9 from 3 in 3 games, but is averaging 3x the number of turnovers to assists. I think that may be due to trying to make entry passes into Ayton. What's the forum's opinion on Bridges so far? Disappointing or Stoked?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:58 pm
I just really hope that we aren’t loyal to him to a fault just because of his draft status. If Bridges is the better player and it is apparent after the first 15 games, he should start and Jackson should have to compete for backup minutes.
You're better off forgetting where you drafted a player or what you gave up for him (or even what you're paying him) when you evaluate him for playing time.

Pro basketball should be a meritocracy.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 pm
I just came across a guy on Twitter that named Bridges as one of his disappointments of the summer. He thinks all he does is shoot from 3, can't create for himself and his defense has been a mixed bag. As far as I know he's shot 5/9 from 3 in 3 games, but is averaging 3x the number of turnovers to assists. I think that may be due to trying to make entry passes into Ayton. What's the forum's opinion on Bridges so far? Disappointing or Stoked?
His defense has been good. We know he doesn't create. He probably has 3 turnovers and 1 assist

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 pm
I think Bridges's shooting has looked great. Seems ready for NBA minutes at the backup SF spot. Wouldn't hand him the starting job, but he should be in the rotation.