All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Mori Chu »

I really don't want Ayton to start shooting 3-pointers. I know the trend in today's NBA is to get everybody shooting them, but I just don't think most centers need to do it. Ayton shouldn't be out behind the 3-point line; he should be either in the paint or setting screens and rolling to the basket or popping to mid-range. I hope he works on defense, rebounding, positioning, setting good screens, and shooting close-range to mid-range jumpers. No 3s.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think it just depends on how good he is at them. I don’t want him turning into Brook Lopez, but if he is able to hit them at a decent rate, >33%, then there is a benefit to him taking them from time to time. Doesn’t him rolling on the pick and roll become more dangerous if the defense also has to worry about him popping as well?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Cap wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:42 am
Danimal wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 pm
What has Ayton been up to this offseason?

I’ve seen articles about bridges sticking around and working out but I haven’t heard much on Ayton. I thought they would have sent him to work with Hakeem for a bit. Has he been working on his 3pt shot?
I think Ayton should work on a more reliable middy before he starts working on threes.
He already has a reliable midrange game. He should practice threes, but not shoot them during games.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 am
Cap wrote:
Danimal wrote:

I’ve seen articles about bridges sticking around and working out but I haven’t heard much on Ayton. I thought they would have sent him to work with Hakeem for a bit. Has he been working on his 3pt shot?
I think Ayton should work on a more reliable middy before he starts working on threes.
He already has a reliable midrange game. He should practice threes, but not shoot them during games.
Honestly, I wish it was much much more reliable. I think his shooting form has a lot of unnecessary extra movement that inserts more variables that could effect the shot and therefore create a somewhat streaky and/or slightly unreliable (at times) shot.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:24 pm
SDC wrote:
Cap wrote:
Danimal wrote:

Honestly, I wish it was much much more reliable. I think his shooting form has a lot of unnecessary extra movement that inserts more variables that could effect the shot and therefore create a somewhat streaky and/or slightly unreliable (at times) shot.
Are we talking about the same guy? He has virtually no extra movement in his shot.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:24 pm
SDC wrote:
Cap wrote:
Danimal wrote:

Are we talking about the same guy? He has virtually no extra movement in his shot.

Yeah, same guy. There is a good base of form, but a lot of cleaning up needs to be done.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He said all the right things there.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Listening to the audio, this is definitely a potential problem. He is definitely upset and feels disrespected. The relationship is already deteriorating. By summer, he may just want out like Joe Johnson.

Typical Sarver bs. Should have been expected.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm ready to give JaVale a 3 yr extension and roll with him, Stix and Frank!

Indy

Post by Indy »

The player we have seen across his career here is not worth 1/3rd of the salary cap.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:30 pm
I'm ready to give JaVale a 3 yr extension and roll with him, Stix and Frank!
You're crazy if you think that gets us to the Finals. Why punish a dude for taking you to the Finals?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Up to James...sure...

Sounds like Sarver is expecting Ayton to be playing without an extension this season.
Last edited by JeremyG on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:46 pm
The player we have seen across his career here is not worth 1/3rd of the salary cap.
Is that the same player we saw across his 2021 playoff run to the Finals?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Just pay the man the max with the escalators. The market has spoken. He is worth it. If he hits All NBA status then that means WOW he took a huge leap and playoff Ayton is the standard and that man deserves it if MPJ is getting it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:05 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:46 pm
Is that the same player we saw across his 2021 playoff run to the Finals?
Nope. That is the problem I have. We have seen a stretch of 20-30 great games (with a few stinkers thrown in) out of 180 games.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:08 pm
Just pay the man the max with the escalators. The market has spoken. He is worth it. If he hits All NBA status then that means WOW he took a huge leap and playoff Ayton is the standard and that man deserves it if MPJ is getting it.
He might get to be all-nba 3rd team by just having a single injury this year to Jokic, Gobert, or the nearly always injured Embiid. Him playing the same way he did last regular season isn't a 40M/year guy.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Here's the video of his comments:

"I just really want to be respected to be honest. Just be respected like my peers are being respected by their teams. And you know, just keep it like that."

And so the unraveling of the relationship begins...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Everything before October 19th is just gaslighting and leverage.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s my question, can we give him the regular max and have the escalators for if he is 2nd team all-nba or higher? Or if he wins DPOY? I’d be cool with that