All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by djy2j »

For the record, I don't want anyone who has New York Knicks in their Twitter handle to weigh in on any free agent matters of any sorts for any teams...ever. :lol:

Malik Rose
Eddy Curry
Jerome James
Allan Houston
Tim Hardaway Jr (twice)
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Damn! Joe Johnson has really transformed into an Ashtanga Yogi since the NBA! Had no idea. Dude is lean and ripped too.

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

djy2j wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 am
For the record, I don't want anyone who has New York Knicks in their Twitter handle to weigh in on any free agent matters of any sorts for any teams...ever. :lol:

Malik Rose
Eddy Curry
Jerome James
Allan Houston
Tim Hardaway Jr (twice)
We definitely need Latrell Sprewell to chime in. Ayton has a kid to feed now!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:55 pm
"He can shoot, I'll give him that, but not without also acknowledging that his tendency is to take less efficient shots that don't benefit team success."

This one I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around. The two best eFG%'s on the team last year were Bridges (.643) and Ayton (.629). Just because Ayton isn't shooting 3-pointers doesn't mean he's not efficient. A 40% 3Pt FG shooter is a great thing to have, but those points aren't worth any more than the points scored by a 60% 2-point shooter.
I can't remember which podcast it was, but I think there is a big difference in Ayton's shot selection from his first 2.5 years vs after the all-star break this season. He was taking a lot of those 15-20 foot jumpers, even when there was nobody in front of him (or someone he should easily over-power). That was the frustration and probably led to the "inefficient" or "dumb" shots.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is interesting and actually makes a lot of sense as we have quite a few tradeable contracts now to combine together next year for another star. But we would be limited on who we could trade for if we gave Ayton the 5 year designated max.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

https://theathletic.com/2899094/2021/10 ... ed-article

Amazing read!
► Show Spoiler

Split T

Post by Split T »

Interesting non Ayton tidbit in that article is Shamet’s 3rd season is non guaranteed in addition to the 4th year team option. I feel better about that deal now.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Take it for what it’s worth, but ayton + smith + Saric works for KAT.

Saw it on suns Twitter somewhere, couldn’t find it this morning ..

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

3rdside wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:48 pm

I saw the same thing.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

In2ition wrote:
3rdside wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:48 pm

I saw the same thing.
It seems to make a whole lot of sense from both sides .. ayton will love the climate out there, and the team culture will no doubt help him achieve his best Image

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:32 pm
Interesting non Ayton tidbit in that article is Shamet’s 3rd season is non guaranteed in addition to the 4th year team option. I feel better about that deal now.
We only committed to two years on Landry for 20M. That is a very moveable contract, and one that looks pretty great now.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
I like that contract because I think Shamet will be really good in his role, and it's hard to get playable guys who make around $10M for the purposes of matching salaries in a trade. Not saying the Suns are keen on dealing Shamet soon, but it's good foresight to set up that flexibility.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

So do we believe that Jones is the one determining what we are willing to pay Ayton, or that Sarver is the one making the calls?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:16 pm
Split T wrote:
I like that contract because I think Shamet will be really good in his role and it's hard to get playable guys who make around $10M for the purposes of matching salaries in a trade. Not saying the Suns are keen on dealing Shamet soon, but it's good foresight to set up that flexibility.
It is basically a 2-year MLE deal. It really is great.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Yes. I believe Sarver is letting Jones do his job.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:17 pm
Yes. I believe Sarver is letting Jones do his job.
I kind of do, too. Which feels weird.

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Amazing read!
► Show Spoiler
Basically both sides are trying to push more of the blame on the other. Jones says Ayton and his reps were a designated player max or nothing and that they were open to discussing a 3 or 4 year max but Ayton wanted nothing to do with it. Ayton’s reps say they never discussed a 3 or 4 year max.

Jones said they were concerned about filling their 2nd designated max player slot which would limit their ability to trade for other players on designated max contracts…so someone like KAT or Simmons, etc. Ayton’s reps say that was never told to them.

Who knows exactly what is true but I honestly feel pretty good about things. I don’t blame Ayton for wanting the designated max and not accepting anything less, but I also don’t blame the Suns for not offering it, especially after hearing about how it would limit our ability to trade for certain players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:28 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Amazing read!
► Show Spoiler
Basically both sides are trying to push more of the blame on the other. Jones says Ayton and his reps were a designated player max or nothing and that they were open to discussing a 3 or 4 year max but Ayton wanted nothing to do with it. Ayton’s reps say they never discussed a 3 or 4 year max.

Jones said they were concerned about filling their 2nd designated max player slot which would limit their ability to trade for other players on designated max contracts…so someone like KAT or Simmons, etc. Ayton’s reps say that was never told to them.

Who knows exactly what is true but I honestly feel pretty good about things. I don’t blame Ayton for wanting the designated max and not accepting anything less, but I also don’t blame the Suns for not offering it, especially after hearing about how it would limit our ability to trade for certain players.
that is where I am too

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Wow
I'm fairly certain I just took about 30-40mins to catch up on this thread. I still don't have much to say on this as I will only comment on his resulting play but shout out to you guys because I've been really busy and I could trust that I would come here and find all the relevant stories about this.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

If not read already, some stats in here which are pretty supportive of the no max position:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.brig ... rust-ayton