All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Kryptonic

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Kryptonic »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:40 am
JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:03 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:35 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:52 pm
TOO wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:26 pm
I'm convinced JerBear is just trolling at this point. SDC vibes.
It's like I enter into an alternate reality when I visit this forum, where I experience almost nothing but gaslighting.
Funny thing, that's exactly my experience reading your Ayton's posts.
“There is no possibility of Monty getting fired in the summer of 2023, you’re crazy.”

“Monty is not on the hot seat at all.”

“Monty is the greatest coach since sliced bread.”

“There is nothing even controversial about Monty, why would you start a thread about someone so perfect and saintly who’s obviously going to be here for another decade?”

How did those types of posts hold up to reality?
I’ll hand it to you with Monty. You were right and most of us were wrong, but I don’t think that’s going to happen again. Do you really think Ayton will play another game for Phoenix?
You do know how time works, right? Most people adjust their opinions based off of factual statistics, which is what you should do. I liked Monty at some points of his tenure but think he sucked in the end. Just because Ayton was great in 2021 finals doesn’t mean he’s still great.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:
It's like I enter into an alternate reality when I visit this forum, where I experience almost nothing but gaslighting.
“There is no possibility of Monty getting fired in the summer of 2023, you’re crazy.”

“There is nothing even controversial about Monty, why would you start a thread about someone so perfect and saintly who’s obviously going to be here for another decade?”

Does Monty get fired if Ishbia doesn't buy the team? Sarver had no balls. This could've been the inevitable anyway once Ishbia purchased the team.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:16 am
Jeremy, do you think Ayton performed well in this year's playoffs? In this regular season? How about the following specific questions:

On a "school grade" scale, like A to F, what grade would you give Ayton's regular season, and his playoffs, this year?

Lastly, do you think that Ayton played at the level of a max-contract player in the 2022-23 season?
I’ll just say that overall I think he performed well for the circumstances he had to endure, except for about 40% of the playoff games this year I would have liked to see better intensity despite any role/relationship differences.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:48 am
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:

Does Monty get fired if Ishbia doesn't buy the team? Sarver had no balls. This could've been the inevitable anyway once Ishbia purchased the team.
The team was already for sale when I made the poll and I referenced a new owner in that thread.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 8:40 am
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
TOO wrote:

I’ll hand it to you with Monty. You were right and most of us were wrong, but I don’t think that’s going to happen again. Do you really think Ayton will play another game for Phoenix?
Thanks. I’m not a basketball expert like most of you with the X’s & O’s, but I do have a sports business degree and am tuned into the business side of things.

I won’t say that there’s a zero percent chance Ayton gets traded like I said before the trade deadline, but I would put it at about 65% he returns, 35% he’s traded. They’re not going to give up on him for just a couple of bench players, especially with Monty gone.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We’ll see…how do you envision adding to the team if we don’t move Ayton? I just don’t see many other options

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:11 am
We’ll see…how do you envision adding to the team if we don’t move Ayton? I just don’t see many other options
This. Him and Paul being an expiring are the only avenues they have to retooling the roster and Paul isn't gonna bring shit back in trade.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
If you're looking for a pu pu platter, Chris Paul and his expiring contract can get you this.

I suspect that Ayton will only get traded for a package more than you think he would fetch. But I'm starting to see folks coming around to packages more along the lines I would want to demand. At least 1 player with borderline star potential + depth.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Basically what Virt said above. Or if they have to, waive/stretch Paul and use the exceptions.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m on board with waiving and stretching Paul too. If we keep Ayton. Waiving and stretching Paul opens up the MLE and BAE. You’d have to nail both of those as you have two starting spots to fill.

I’m personally done with Ayton, but let’s entertain the idea. Maybe some new coach has an idea how to use him and sells Book and KD on keeping Ayton. If we can get Bruce Brown with the MLE and maybe another wing like Javonte Green/Josh Richardson/Jalen McDaniels with the BAE.

Does a Brown/Booker/Wing/KD/Ayton team make sense? Gonna have to nail the vet min signings to have a bench.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:21 am
Split T wrote:
If you're looking for a pu pu platter, Chris Paul and his expiring contract can get you this.

I suspect that Ayton will only get traded for a package more than you think he would fetch. But I'm starting to see folks coming around to packages more along the lines I would want to demand. At least 1 player with borderline star potential + depth.
How would you feel about a Simons based package? Kuzma? Those are 2 I’ve heard recently.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:05 am
I’m on board with waiving and stretching Paul too. If we keep Ayton. Waiving and stretching Paul opens up the MLE and BAE. You’d have to nail both of those as you have two starting spots to fill.

I’m personally done with Ayton, but let’s entertain the idea. Maybe some new coach has an idea how to use him and sells Book and KD on keeping Ayton. If we can get Bruce Brown with the MLE and maybe another wing like Javonte Green/Josh Richardson/Jalen McDaniels with the BAE.

Does a Brown/Booker/Wing/KD/Ayton team make sense? Gonna have to nail the vet min signings to have a bench.
All really depends on Booker, doesn't it? And I am skeptical of signing playoff wonders that came our of nowhere like Brown. There were folks on this board that thought Cam Payne was worth more than we could pay him after 2021.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:06 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Split T wrote:

How would you feel about a Simons based package? Kuzma? Those are 2 I’ve heard recently.
Depends what else comes with these players, by themselves not enough for me. But I think there is fire under the smoke with Portland with talk of the 3rd pick being us trying to gain leverage.

There are plenty of borderline all stars to be had with Ayton, such as a Dejounte Murray. Lots of teams perceived to be underperforming.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Brown was good all season and was good last year in Brooklyn. I’d be worried some team offers him more than the MLE. Gotta think he’s definitely done in Denver as they can’t pay him. What a signing though by then.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:26 am
Split T wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:06 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Split T wrote:

Depends what else comes with these players, by themselves not enough for me. But I think there is fire under the smoke with Portland with talk of the 3rd pick being us trying to gain leverage.

There are plenty of borderline all stars to be had with Ayton, such as a Dejounte Murray. Lots of teams perceived to be underperforming.
I guess what if it was the first move, we haven’t done anything else yet and the offer is Simons/Nurkic for Shamet/Ayton. Do you say yes or no?

The Kuzma one is trickier, it’d have to be a sign and trade, so we’d have to waive and stretch CP3. But let’s assume we do that and then trade Ayton for Kuzma and say Delon Wright. You’d have the MLE and BAE and have:

Wright/Booker/Kuzma/KD

This might actually be my new favorite. Sign Naz Reid with the MLE and then use the BAE on the best shooter you can get(Seth Curry?).

Wright/Booker/Kuzma/KD/Reid and then you can go small switching out Curry for Reid and playing Kuzma/KD at the 4/5.

I don’t like the Simons one as much because of Nurkic. I’d jump all over it if it’s Little instead of Nurkic though.

Simons/Booker/Little/KD/Reid

I’m assuming a waive and stretch of CP3 again and then use MLE on Reid and BAE on best wing/shooter you can get.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ll say I’m definitely fully convinced moving off both of them is the way to go

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:57 am
TOO wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:48 am
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

The team was already for sale when I made the poll and I referenced a new owner in that thread.
Right, but the bigger factor was Coach Williams failure once again in the playoffs. Even with KD. Nobody could have predicted that. And Ayton not willing to participate at a high level. I had hopes that he would approach what he did in 2021 but sadly, he was not even close. Ayton and Williams brought this on together.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I was ready to move on from Paul and Ayton in February. Can we just do it and get to training camp already?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

3rd pick AND Jusuf Nurkic?

Multiple sources have confirmed Portland has interest in Deandre Ayton & could be willing to discuss a deal centered around the 3rd overall pick and additional pieces. Scoot Henderson & Brandon Miller are both considered to be foundational players in this upcoming NBA Draft.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2023 ... jwWcIQgpzQ
Last edited by bIGDRAWLS0072 on Fri May 19, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.