All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Kryptonic

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Kryptonic »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:54 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:07 am
I resent this implication that specialsauce has changed a lot since the old days. Far from it. He was an asshole then, and he's an asshole now! :-) (Love ya sauce.)
Til the day I die
Don’t you dare change, you lovable bastard ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:32 pm
The stream I'm watching lacks commentary and it's difficult to make out the players unless trying to focus on their jersey number. After the first quarter, Hield #7 is pretty much carrying the team.

Ayton has 6 points in just under 8 minutes. He sealed a defender and bobbled a pass under the rim (and probably got away with a travel) but finished with a strong dunk. He also received a pass at midcourt and took a good 5-6 dribbles to about 12-feet and hit a jumper. Not sure why the Cuban defender kept back peddling. He's looked very pedestrian on the defensive side. One time he waived his hand up in the restricted area when a Cuban player shot a 3. :lol:
First thing I see is a highlight of Ayton driving the lane and dunking the ball!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I mean, why the hell was that Cuban defender even thinking of trying to block his jump shot?

Still glad Ayton didn't try some dumb layup or hesitation into a pivot hook shot.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Defense:
Still not great. Lost his man in the paint and should've resulted in a much easier shot, but the Cuban guy dribbled into a bad position and allowed Ayton to recover and contest.

He's not providing much help defense at all.

Offense:
Tried to dribble receive an inbound pass and nearly turned it over. Recovered, dribbled about 5-6 times with the Cuban defender on his hip and eventually put in a successful turn around jumper.

Received an easy alley-oop pass for a dunk, and a dunker spot catch and finish off of a Gordon drive.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Vogel has his work cut out for him getting Ayton to know where to position himself on defense.

And Bahamas are crushing Cuba. Up almost 40.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Defense:
Missed a swipe at a pretty poor alley-oop pass that was converted by Cuba.

Looking kinda gassed in transition, holding his shorts at every dead ball. Subbed out around the 6:30 mark with the Bahamas up by 33 points.

Offense:
Nice right handed dribble drive from the wing into a one handed dunk on the reverse side. Kinda tried the move again soon after and the defender cut it off.

Missed an 18-footer after doing that jab step pump fake thing he loves for a couple of seconds.

Full bench in for the Bahamas now so him, Gordon and Hield are likely done.

3TheHardaway

Post by 3TheHardaway »

With such a wide margin its hard to look at things like defensive and rebounding intensity when you're crushing an outmanned opponent without needing to expend much energy. And I'm going to bet his conditioning is garbage at this point in the summer.

Putting the ball on the floor and driving to the rim is a welcomed sight though.

Just going to have to pray that hes receptive and coachable for Vogel.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:25 pm
Defense:
Still not great. Lost his man in the paint and should've resulted in a much easier shot, but the Cuban guy dribbled into a bad position and allowed Ayton to recover and contest.

Of course you're not going to mention his excellent lateral movement that resulted in multiple travels.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He was fairly sleep walky on the defensive side from tip-off. Even when he wasn't putting in an effort to contest jump shots, it didn't result in him chasing rebounds.

Argentina is the only team in this tournament who could possibly compete with the Bahamas NBA trio, so we'll have to see if they'll ever really need him to focus on that end of the court.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:15 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:25 pm
Defense:

Of course you're not going to mention his excellent lateral movement that resulted in multiple travels.
I guess?

I didn't notice that happen at all, but there could've been things I missed as the stream was without commentary and I was taking notes.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Lots of GREAT Ayton highlights. Looked far more fierce than most of all last season.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Encouraging…but it is against a bunch of non-nba level players.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:14 pm
Don’t care.

Get a full squeeze out of those nuts, show me some aggression regardless of opponent, good highlights

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:57 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:54 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:07 am
I resent this implication that specialsauce has changed a lot since the old days. Far from it. He was an asshole then, and he's an asshole now! :-) (Love ya sauce.)
Til the day I die
Don’t you dare change, you lovable bastard ;)
:lol:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Hield and Gordon looked 5 years younger and the Cubans kept forgetting Gordon can hit from 30-feet.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:19 pm
Split T wrote:
Don’t care.

Get a full squeeze out of those nuts, show me some aggression regardless of opponent, good highlights
He's so much more talented than most NBA players anyway. And if he gets into the habit of dominating against lesser competition, it will carry over.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv87lXAL ... BiNWFlZA==

Even the official Bahamas national team account is getting in on the whole DA embracing the hate thing :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."