All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:12 pm
Some of this stuff is so corny.

The Ayton that played today is the same guy he's been for the past three seasons, and it's not addressing his inconsistent play that's been the biggest critique of his play for his entire career.

We've all known he's a borderline all-star when he plays with high effort and aggression. Monty tried to pull that out of him more consistently and now he's the scapegoat for every deficiency in Ayton's entire career because he's played well in two games against no one who's sniffing an NBA rotation.

Or some people just like smelling their own farts a bit too much.
I’m old enough to remember when half this board wanted to sign Uruguayan Esteban Batista because of his play in this tournament.

(I was among them)

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:12 pm
Some of this stuff is so corny.

The Ayton that played today is the same guy he's been for the past three seasons, and it's not addressing his inconsistent play that's been the biggest critique of his play for his entire career.

We've all known he's a borderline all-star when he plays with high effort and aggression. Monty tried to pull that out of him more consistently and now he's the scapegoat for every deficiency in Ayton's entire career because he's played well in two games against no one who's sniffing an NBA rotation.

Or some people just like smelling their own farts a bit too much.
Perhaps...but there are some new things here. Thin Ayton is new. Him barking at teammates during huddles "They tired as fuck" is new. His playing with confidence and aggression is not new, but still good to see.

It will be an up and down ride. But more data simply can't be hand-waved off.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Dribbling, consistent effort, free throw attempts. That’s what I need to see. He hasn’t developed anything new in these two games.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m just dreading having to hear, “He never would have done this if Monty was still the coach,” after every good game he has.

He’s a good player, he flashes great play frequently. Playing that way for long periods of time has been his issue. I’m glad he’s done well so far, but it is just 2 games against non-nba players. Forgive me if I’m not throwing him a parade yet.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:08 am
Dribbling, consistent effort, free throw attempts. That’s what I need to see. He hasn’t developed anything new in these two games.
Yea those highlights are standard DA. Jab step and jumper. Back down, bump and fadeaway/baby hook.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:16 am
I’m just dreading having to hear, “He never would have done this if Monty was still the coach,” after every good game he has.
Pretty confident there will be games where most of us are saying "We were told he wouldn't have games like this now that Monty isn't the coach".

Split T

Post by Split T »

There definitely will, that’s who he is. I believe he can be more consistent(hard not to be after last season), but he’s still going to have ups and downs…and I mean on his effort and energy level, not production.

Him being in better shape this offseason is nice to see. Let’s hope that transitions to being better conditioned for the season as well.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

specialsauce wrote:
True but it’s nice to see him engaged…. Now that I know he’s thin skinned I’m just trying to look for his positives so he doesn’t go all Ben Simmons on us lol

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looking at who’s still playing, Bahamas should win this, right? They’ve got two games left and from what I can see they were the top ranked team and Argentina was 2nd. They have 4 nba players. Is Campazzo the only other nba player in the tournament? Does he even count as nba.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Argentina doesn't have any answers for the Bahamian trio. The final will certainly be a closer contest but it would be a tragedy for the Bahamians to lose after the game that was just played.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think Monty gets way too much blame, but so does basically every coach.

Beyond the performances, it can't be denied that he looks great physically, very lean compared to recent years. I want to say quicker as well, but I can't fully get there when it's not an NBA peer defending him. Maybe he wouldn't have put in the same amount of work if it weren't for this 4 game tournament, so maintaining this fitness into the season would be a welcomed development for him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:55 am
There definitely will, that’s who he is. I believe he can be more consistent(hard not to be after last season), but he’s still going to have ups and downs…and I mean on his effort and energy level, not production.

Him being in better shape this offseason is nice to see. Let’s hope that transitions to being better conditioned for the season as well.
Is he in better shape?

Is it considered in shape for your 5 who already had trouble holding his own against bigger centers to slim down even more when his game is not perimeter oriented but rather he’s at his best when he’s banging down low, being physical and shooting those baby hooks?

He seems to be delusional that he can be Giannis when he should focus more on being a modern Patrick Ewing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Did he have trouble holding his own against bigger centers? Maybe a guy like Valunciunas pushed him around, but he pushes everyone around. I’m not too concerned with him slimming down if it means he’ll play with more energy. If he’s just jogging back when the other team is running in transition still then I’ll have a problem.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:16 am

He’s a good player, he flashes great play frequently. Playing that way for long periods of time has been his issue. I’m glad he’s done well so far, but it is just 2 games against non-nba players. Forgive me if I’m not throwing him a parade yet.
Yeah, what happened to taking personal responsibility?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

There is something to be hopeful about. But also nothing to really get excited about. His jab step, stab, jump shot looks faster and smoother, but also let’s see it against nba competition.

My hope beyond hope is that we play at a blistering pace this year. I also think Bradley Beal and Booker are going to be better pick and roll partners with Ayton than Chris Paul was. The CP3 pick and roll was limited since he was never a threat to go to the basket. In comparison to the Nash-Stoudemire combo in which both players could shoot or attack the basket. Long story short, this teams’ strength has gotta be playing fast and efficient. Ayton should be running guys like valunciunas and adams off the court.

Also, if this thread isn’t at 200 pages by the start of the season. I’ll be severely disappointed.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:34 am
specialsauce wrote:
Yea those highlights are standard DA. Jab step and jumper. Back down, bump and fadeaway/baby hook.
Umm...you guys didn't see the first game??
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:56 am
specialsauce wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:34 am
specialsauce wrote:
Umm...you guys didn't see the first game??
I did. Those two dribbles to the basket were loose and ain’t no chance he doesn’t get stripped in the NBA.

And we’ve seen him have a game where he flashes before, and then goes right back to doing the same old settling for midrange shots and being a 7 foot “guard”

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t even need him to dribble against pressure. Just dribble towards the rim when the defense blitzes the ball handler on the pnr.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

MightyMoog wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:06 am
Also, if this thread isn’t at 200 pages by the start of the season. I’ll be severely disappointed.
Considering that the thread started in July of 2018, that's pushing it. But then, the fact that we hit 100 in July of 2023 and we're already at 122, gives one hope.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."