All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:42 pm
I never said Nurk > Ayton and I’m going to be very quiet because I quit paying attention to Ayton. I’m a Suns fan. Not a particular player fan.
Yea I've kind of stopped paying attention to his games, mostly because he's the same player there that he was here. There was no "unlocking" any new offense in Portland that we've missed out on, no re-discovered motor or newly found aggressiveness that he turned off here due to Monty. He's the same exact player - sometimes he's engaged and tuned in, sometimes he's flatfooted and watching. He's popping jumpers, getting off his hook shots, fumbling passes and missing some lay-ins then looking at his hands and/or the refs while not getting back in transition. But all that work in the summertime and playing on his National Team didn't turn him into AD, Chancey and a new offense and teammates hasn't turned him into Giannis and he's not changing the narrative with any of his play. And it would've been exactly the same here under Vogel, except we wouldn't have Allen or Little on the roster.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:07 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:14 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:40 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:55 pm
Haha Booker about to be top 5 in the league and Jeremy is implying or insinuating that Ayton, according to advanced stats is better. Okay. You were really quiet in that stretch when Ayton sucked but you're back now that he's strung together a couple double double games.
I wasn't insinuating any such thing. Just saying what surprised me when looking at the lists. Posted it in here because I didn't want to post the Ayton stats in another thread.

And I've noticed it's been very quiet from the people who were posting "Nurk > Ayton" recently.

Come to think of it, it's also been quiet in here as far as Duren posts as well.

Meanwhile, I have to watch Yousuck Nurkic every night "helping" the Suns to the same record as Ayton's Blazers. Very depressing trade.
Just go be a blazers fan, you’ll be happier
Be careful Split lol, you’ll get the whole “we don’t condone telling a poster to go somewhere else” talk.
Yup 😂…. But dick pics are cool. Oh the irony.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What's not to like about dick pics?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Frankly, they're just Johnsons.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

*sweating and out of breath*

I heard y’all were talking about Gradey Dick pics? What I miss????

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:38 am
*sweating and out of breath*

I heard y’all were talking about Gradey Dick pics? What I miss????
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:47 pm
Cap at work yesterday:

Different thread….. there ya go Wally! 😂

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:06 am
Frankly, they're just Johnsons.
😂😂

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Did I miss something somewhere?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I keep waiting for it to be a TickPick commercial…anyone else get that commercial 10 times last night?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:45 am
I keep waiting for it to be a TickPick commercial…anyone else get that commercial 10 times last night?
A WHAT COMMERCIAL!!???!?

Oh…you said TickPick, that new website with no hidden fees and best prices.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:38 pm
Well I’m not telling him to leave the board haha. I’ve just never seen someone be so attached to one player before.

His Yousuck Nurkic stuff rubs me the wrong way as well and I lashed out a bit. I don’t even think Nurk is that good…his season is going about how I expected. Especially this game where we benched him down the stretch. I expect us to do that a lot. He won’t always make sense out there. But that was the beauty of trading 3 for 1…I think it seems clear Grayson Allen will be the best player for us from that trade. I think Nurkic can give us 20 minutes and Little is a nice developmental piece(I know he’s not that young, but he’s on a friendly deal over the next 4 years and is young enough).
If Grayson is the best player from the trade, then it's a complete disaster. It's only going to become clearer and clearer that we needed a center and defensive anchor. We didn't need another shooter.

"I don’t even think Nurk is that good…his season is going about how I expected. Especially this game where we benched him down the stretch. I expect us to do that a lot."

Be honest--is that how the Suns talked about their "upgrade" at center when they made the trade? Is that really what the front office or team or majority of the fanbase "expected"? To have to bench the starting center they traded for "a lot" of the time? What happened to "better fit"?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:51 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:42 pm
I never said Nurk > Ayton and I’m going to be very quiet because I quit paying attention to Ayton. I’m a Suns fan. Not a particular player fan.
Yea I've kind of stopped paying attention to his games, mostly because he's the same player there that he was here.
If the first half of your sentence is true, then you can't make the (untrue) claim in the second half of your sentence. Not only has he been showing new things on offense, but more importantly he's been the defensive anchor that we needed under Vogel's system.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We've been over this plenty of times already. Nurkic is less talented than Ayton, but he has played decently well, makes half the salary, and we got other pieces back, too (Grayson Allen, Little). Ayton's putting up some decent numbers in PDX but I'm still happy to be off of his max contract and move on.

I don't think we lost these recent games because of the lack of DominAyton; I think Wemby would have absolutely roasted DA, gotten him in foul trouble, blocked him multiple times. Ayton always gets destroyed by taller, lengthy defensive centers; think of how much Ayton struggles against Gobert.

I feel the absence of CP3 much more than the absence of Ayton, honestly. Our offense has a poor flow, lots of turnovers, guys going 1-on-1, hero ball, that sort of thing. Not that I think we should have kept CP3, either, but trading him for Beal who hasn't played has been a minor setback to start the season. Hopefully the guys figure it out and develop a more efficient offense.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:35 am
We've been over this plenty of times already. Nurkic is less talented than Ayton, but he has played decently well, makes half the salary, and we got other pieces back, too (Grayson Allen, Little). Ayton's putting up some decent numbers in PDX but I'm still happy to be off of his max contract and move on.

I don't think we lost these recent games because of the lack of DominAyton; I think Wemby would have absolutely roasted DA, gotten him in foul trouble, blocked him multiple times.

I feel the absence of CP3 much more than the absence of Ayton, honestly. Our offense has a poor flow, lots of turnovers, guys going 1-on-1, hero ball, that sort of thing. Not that I think we should have kept CP3, either, but trading him for Beal who hasn't played has been a minor setback to start the season. Hopefully the guys figure it out and develop a more efficient offense.
You don't think our defense is, or will be, something to be concerned about?

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:37 am
Mori Chu wrote:

I don't think we lost these recent games because of the lack of DominAyton; I think Wemby would have absolutely roasted DA, gotten him in foul trouble, blocked him multiple times.

I think our defence will be fine. Vogel is a defensive minded coach who will get the most out of this team on that end of the floor. Sure they've had some rough spells early on but that's to be expected with a new group, a new coach and a makeshift starting lineup etc. With Beal in the lineup we probably win both Spurs games irrespective of Wemby's performance.

This team arguably has more firepower than the 7 seconds or less Suns but this group can and will play D at a reasonable level. That's very hard to beat.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:37 am
Mori Chu wrote:

It’s definitely a concern. Ayton was an abysmal defender last year though. You can talk all you want about new coach, new attitude, I don’t care. He stopped trying for a team trying to win a title. If he did it once, he can do it again.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:25 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:38 pm
Well I’m not telling him to leave the board haha. I’ve just never seen someone be so attached to one player before.

His Yousuck Nurkic stuff rubs me the wrong way as well and I lashed out a bit. I don’t even think Nurk is that good…his season is going about how I expected. Especially this game where we benched him down the stretch. I expect us to do that a lot. He won’t always make sense out there. But that was the beauty of trading 3 for 1…I think it seems clear Grayson Allen will be the best player for us from that trade. I think Nurkic can give us 20 minutes and Little is a nice developmental piece(I know he’s not that young, but he’s on a friendly deal over the next 4 years and is young enough).
If Grayson is the best player from the trade, then it's a complete disaster. It's only going to become clearer and clearer that we needed a center and defensive anchor. We didn't need another shooter.

"I don’t even think Nurk is that good…his season is going about how I expected. Especially this game where we benched him down the stretch. I expect us to do that a lot."

Be honest--is that how the Suns talked about their "upgrade" at center when they made the trade? Is that really what the front office or team or majority of the fanbase "expected"? To have to bench the starting center they traded for "a lot" of the time? What happened to "better fit"?
I don’t care how the suns talked about him. Of course they will talk him up. Every team does that. I said before we even made the trade that I’d do it and I was fine not even starting Nurkic. Ayton was not a reliable rotation guy. He got benched in the playoffs for Jock Landale. He was so bad and I know you’ll never acknowledge it, but we were never getting a good version of Ayton. He was done here, the team was done with him, the fans were done(mostly). As long as I got one reliable playoff rotation guy back it was going to be a win for me. It looks like we did that with Grayson. Nurkic will be hit and miss on when he’s playable, but guess what, so was Ayton.

I’d gladly trade Nurkic for a reliable defensive anchor…Ayton is not that, not even close.

You can keep making this about Nurkic vs Ayton but that’s never what it was. Especially not for me.

Allen is putting up 12/5/3 for us with a .665 TS%. 50% from 3 right now. He’s out scoring Ayton and doing it much more efficiently.
Last edited by Split T on Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

TOO

Post by TOO »

When will this circle end?

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:30 am
When will this circle end?
It won’t…and I apologize for jumping back in. Losing two straight to the Spurs must have set me off lol.

TOO

Post by TOO »

If we leave JerBear to just argue with himself this thread might actually go away.

I wish there was a way to mute threads.