All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by Mori Chu »

Without Chris Paul (one of the best all-time PGs) feeding him, Ayton is pretty run-of-the-mill.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

The truly sad and frustrating part is that...

DA obviously has the potential...he has the skills, the physique that COULD have been something ground breaking in the league.

The TRAGEDY of DeTragic Aint'in is he has a HEART that's 3 sizes too small! He has no fundamental love for the game, and thus never seems to apply himself to the work or in game effort to BE someone great.

He should have gone off and learned programming and been a game developer, or whatever was something he'd be passionate about...then he might of been great at it. Hoops? He OBVIOUSLY has no passion for the game...thus he's living a lie...he's a fraud!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sigh…We’re never moving on are we?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:16 am
The truly sad and frustrating part is that...

DA obviously has the potential...he has the skills, the physique that COULD have been something ground breaking in the league.

The TRAGEDY of DeTragic Aint'in is he has a HEART that's 3 sizes too small! He has no fundamental love for the game, and thus never seems to apply himself to the work or in game effort to BE someone great.

He should have gone off and learned programming and been a game developer, or whatever was something he'd be passionate about...then he might of been great at it. Hoops? He OBVIOUSLY has no passion for the game...thus he's living a lie...he's a fraud!
If I could work hard for 1.5 years of my life and walk away with almost $200M in career earnings, sign me up for being a fraud.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Is he really a fraud since he openly said that his goal was his paycheck?

BTW loving videogames doesn't make you a good dev.
Loving eating doesn't make you a chef.
When I studied at college, from the 150 who started programming class, only 15 finished the first year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Game development is brutal. Liking to play video games doesn't much indicate whether a person can succeed at developing them. When I taught intro computer science, a lot of students said they wanted to learn to code video games. As rhylek said, many of them washed out.

But VT, I get that you're just using that as an example; you're telling him, pick something you love and do that. Don't do basketball just because you're tall, if you don't love it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:08 pm
Don't do basketball just because you're tall, if you don't love it.
Gotta disagree. If you can make millions of dollars per year and retire at 30, bite the bullet and do it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I love it when people say "Oh, that must be such a fun job!" I tell them creating a game is a lot different than playing a game. It is engineering just like for anything else. Only nobody will die if you make a mistake. Having said that, I was blessed to be able to make games for a living for 33 years out of a 35 year career. Only my first two years after graduating from college were outside of gaming. And I only worked for three gaming companies in those 33 years. One of them for only 7 months. So, I had unheard of longevity (for gaming) for two of those jobs. 23 years at Sony alone.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:15 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Gotta disagree. If you can make millions of dollars per year and retire at 30, bite the bullet and do it.
I'm with Cap. Even if you have to take the ridicule. Just don't play for my team! :P

"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

Cap wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:15 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Just cause they're suckers that will pay for height and potential over heart and passion doesn't make it right...that's a con at the end of the day...

Vladimir_Taltos

If you're going to take the contract and the money, have the INTEGRITY to do the work! That's the bottom line of it all...

Cap

Post by Cap »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:49 pm
If you're going to take the contract and the money, have the INTEGRITY to do the work! That's the bottom line of it all...
Ayton’s not lazy, he just doesn’t have the head for the game. He’s not a bad person and not trying to cheat anyone.

Vladimir_Taltos

If we rate someone on work ethic...

Kobe would be a 12 out of 10 on a 10 point scale.

... where would you place DeAndre? And at what level is lack of heart or work ethic...fraud? I'd put DeAndre at a 3...4 at best. Getting $200M and giving a 3.5 in work effort? No bueno...

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:01 pm

... where would you place DeAndre? And at what level is lack of heart or work ethic...fraud? I'd put DeAndre at a 3...4 at best. Getting $200M and giving a 3.5 in work effort? No bueno...
I’d give him a 6….. now ayton, he’d give himself a 15/10. I don’t think he’s as much lazy as he’s not super motivated to be more.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:01 pm

It's pretty bueno if you can do it though.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Ayton is who he is. If he had Booker’s brain and work ethic he’d be an all-timer. But it was on the Suns to identify that, not count on him to change who he is at his core.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, it's not like he is a horrible basketball player. Just doesn't play to his potential. He's very skilled. That's no accident. He's just not interested in forcing contact and playing through people. He is a gentle giant. Has an inconsistent motor.

"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:20 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:31 pm
DEANDRE A GOD TONIGHT
Fouled out in less than 20 minutes with 2 points, 4 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, a block, and a turnover. Free throws? 0-0.
3 steals and 1 block in less than 20 minutes? And 5 and a half assists per 36? That's incredible production! 8-)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:04 pm
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
DEANDRE A GOD TONIGHT
Fouled out in less than 20 minutes with 2 points, 4 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, a block, and a turnover. Free throws? 0-0.
3 steals and 1 block in less than 20 minutes? And 5 and a half assists per 36? That's incredible production! 8-)
You cant be serious. It’s just a joke at this point.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:19 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:04 pm
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
DEANDRE A GOD TONIGHT
You cant be serious. It’s just a joke at this point.
The 8-) tells me he wasn't serious. Not totally anyway. :P

"Be Legendary."