Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns Trade Knight and Chriss for Anderson and Melton

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:10 pm
Chriss is a bum and will always be a bum. Knight might never play another meaningful minute ever again in the NBA.

What exactly are people upset about for dumping that on to someone else's plate?
Exactly. We got back a part-time starter and a prospect like for two players who made us worse both on and off the court.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

People here have a lot of misconceptions about Ryan Anderson's tenure in Houston. By the end of the season, before the playoffs even started, he had played his way out of the line up, and that was before he got hurt. Many Rockets fans saw the injury as a blessing in disguise. Anderson's first year with Houston was a down year, his decline gradually continued throughout his first and second season. Not only did he struggle on the defensive end, he was having issues being productive on the offensive end.

Maybe the Suns can find a way to resuscitate his career, but the way some here are portraying his time in Houston would make most Rockets fans and Daryl Morey burst into laughter.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:02 pm
People here have a lot of misconceptions about Ryan Anderson's tenure in Houston. By the end of the season, before the playoffs even started, he had played his way out of the line up, and that was before he got hurt. Many Rockets fans saw the injury as a blessing in disguise. Anderson's first year with Houston was a down year, his decline gradually continued throughout his first and second season. Not only did he struggle on the defensive end, he was having issues being productive on the offensive end.

Maybe the Suns can find a way to resuscitate his career, but the way some here are portraying his time in Houston would make most Rockets fans and Daryl Morey burst into laughter.
No misconceptions. That sounds about right. Still, it’s a significantly better 2 year stretch than Knight just had.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:44 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:02 pm

No misconceptions. That sounds about right. Still, it’s a significantly better 2 year stretch than Knight just had.
Right. It's not that Anderson is good. He's not. He's pretty much done. He was one of the worst players in the 8 man rotation of one of the best teams. On the other hand, last time knight played, he actually made one of the worst teams in the NBA even worse.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:33 am
I would argue they were under pressure to get something done before training camp to give their new coach as much of a full roster as possible. And McD said recently that they couldn't see Ayton and Chriss playing together. And I really wonder how much they knew about BK's need for a scope/clean out.
I mean not under pressure in the Bledsoe and Markieff sense. Of course I'm all for moving on from mistakes, but in this case I think we had an opportunity to explore something else. But again, I wasn't there in the front office, maybe Chriss' value had deteriorated to the point that he is nothing more than a salary filler, I don't know. I just feel like there could've been more.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:08 am
pickle wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:57 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:51 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 am
Honestly I just don't care at all. Won't bat an eye if Chriss or Knight have good or bad seasons. They could become allstars and I'd still count the trade as a win.
Maybe in an alternate universe. Chriss has small hands or something. Can't use that athleticism to dunk the ball without losing it 70 percent of the time.
Honestly I'm with RW on this. Once the trade is made, there's no point revisiting it using hindsight. The most I can ask of the team/front office is that they made the best decision with the information available at the time. In this case, we don't need Chriss and Knight and we turned them into potentially useful assets (though I wish more thought went into these scenarios before we gave Ariza that 15 mil contract), and that's good enough for me. Clearly we weren't going to benefit from the presences of these players, so I won't begrudge what they become in the hands of a better coaching staff/team environment.
I was responding to the idea of them becoming all-stars.
Yeah understood. I didn't mean to disagree with you. Was just trying to add my 2 cents. I have been a little upset with several draft misses, but have mentioned before that I wasn't as pissed off about picking Markieff over Kawhi, even though a lot of the people on this board pined for Kawhi, simply because he probably wouldn't have become who he is today if he landed under the Sarver-led Suns. In this case, also, it's clear that we could no longer extract more value out of these two guys so if someone else can, more power to them.

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:30 am

You can say what you want about the haul we got for those guys, but it's addition by subtraction. You can't have a potentially toxic situation heading into the season - and we potentially had 2. We've had that before and this needs to be a clean start with a new coach and the young guys on the roster. Can't have Knight chirping about his minutes/role or demanding a trade (at the end of the 16-17 season he said he wasn't a bench player) and can't take the chance of Chriss showing up out of shape or being pushed out of the rotation, which would kill any value he might've have. Best to get ahead of these things, like we should've done with M******f and Bledsoe.

We added size and shooting in Anderson, which we've desperately needed and a young PG with a ton of defensive potential and a growing offensive game. Could've done worse IMO.
I have no problem with getting rid of these guys, but honestly I would've been much happier if we had simply moved Chriss for a pick. That's another solution to getting ahead of things. My point is, and as Inf mentions in his reply, Anderson's value around the league is perhaps the lowest of all available players (except for Noah, who was stretched), and everyone said Houston had to attach multiple first rounders to move him last year to clear space for Melo when Melo was leaving the Knicks. Granted, one year had passed, but I think those two remaining years still deserved at least one first rounder, for someone to help Houston save multiple millions of dollars off their tax bill. Yes, we gave them Knight so their savings wasn't great, but we also reduced a future first (full of new car smell) to a current second (albeit one with "first round talent" who just left the lot but hasn't gathered any mileage). So I didn't think we needed to add Chriss. But I've really beat this dead horse long enough. To sum up, I'm happy we moved on from previous mistakes and got Melton, am ambivalent about Anderson but hope he can bring maturity and stability to the locker room, and wish that we got more for our troubles.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:35 pm
Pckle I love your posts.

I don't think we are very much taken advantage of. I've seen clear situations where the team was in a lower position in terms of leverage and still walk away with a good asset. Kieff for a lotto pick? Dragic gave the Suns what now happens to be the best draft asset around.

Making bad trades can be a different thing, though. And I agree we should have had more foresight. And even common sense. Some are unforgivable and unforgettable ajaja.

Sarver is always a factor for sure.
Thanks buddy. I tend to over think things, but in terms of the front office I also do feel like we need to start winning the smaller battles. I was and am still very happy that we managed to pull useful picks out of the Keiff and Dragic situations.

As long as Sarver is in charge I don't think we'll ever go anywhere. The Mikal trade (I love Mikal btw) smells like a job-saving move, and that's at least half on Sarver.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

pickle wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:25 pm
The Mikal trade (I love Mikal btw) smells like a job-saving move, and that's at least half on Sarver.
Job-saving? More like, "I'm not going to be around to use this pick, therefore I don't value it." An owner with any kind of basketball sense would have stepped in and said, "yeah, um, you're not doing this."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:31 pm
pickle wrote:
The Mikal trade (I love Mikal btw) smells like a job-saving move, and that's at least half on Sarver.
Job-saving? More like, "I'm not going to be around to use this pick, therefore I don't value it." An owner with any kind of basketball sense would have stepped in and said, "yeah, um, you're not doing this."
I was just thinking he may be doing this with the MIL pick or the Suns own, not allowing it to be in any deals for a pg.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:
Same idea, different phrasing. But we all know Sarver is not an owner with any kind of basketball sense, agreed?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I was fine with Bridges because we needed his shooting. We may not see the returns this year but he's the kind of guy a successful team needs. A lot of defensive potential and can be a knockdown shooter. Someone mentioned in another thread that he's the kind of player who needs a PG to set him up for open looks. That's pretty much the case with the rest of our team but with a guy like him in particular, it's crucial.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

pickle wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:34 am
INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:
Same idea, different phrasing. But we all know Sarver is not an owner with any kind of basketball sense, agreed?
Agreed.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I know it was only a few minutes but I'm sorry I didn't get to see Melton
Box score obviously doesn't show intangibles which is suppose to be one of his things. I saw someone said he's not a PG which I thought was common knowledge but anyone seeing the possible Marcus Smart comps ?
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:25 pm
I know it was only a few minutes but I'm sorry I didn't get to see Melton
Box score obviously doesn't show intangibles which is suppose to be one of his things. I saw someone said he's not a PG which I thought was common knowledge but anyone seeing the possible Marcus Smart comps ?
Yes. He's a fighter. Very physical. Big for the PG position. I think he will be extremely streaky, but there will be nights when he is far and away the best of the 4.