James Jones in as GM

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
EDC

Re: James Jones in as GM

Post by EDC »

I pray that James Jones has nothing to do with Klutch Sports Group.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Sarver hired Jones to a front office that had struggled with its relationship and communication with its players. Jones was fresh off a 14-year NBA career that included three championships and a long-time partnership with LeBron James. Jones also served as an executive with the players' association.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:49 am
Over/under James Jones is gone in 3 years?
Under.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1049732696799305728

It's a solid point. We should have significantly less player/GM issues with Jones going forward.
We've had player/gm issues since the day Little Bobby bought the team.

jonh

Post by jonh »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:43 pm
iLLmatic wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:49 am
Over/under James Jones is gone in 3 years?
Under.
Id be tempted to go under if it was 2 years.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:16 pm
How is this still going on? http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2494 ... al-manager
Sarver has earned a long reputation for aggressively involving himself in basketball decisions, but it's become harder for coaches and front office staff to manage in the past two years after the Suns became Sarver's primary business interest.

Suns coaches became accustomed to regular beratings and demands of strategy and lineup changes, league sources said. Rival executives could sometimes hear Sarver yelling in the background on negotiation calls with the Suns' front office. Agents tell stories of private conversations occurring with Sarver without the front office's knowledge.
Not surprising in the least. I've worked for guys like this, and you can hear it in every interview with him You can hear it in the pointed way everyone else in the org talks.

jonh

Post by jonh »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm
carey wrote:
How is this still going on? http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2494 ... al-manager
Sarver has earned a long reputation for aggressively involving himself in basketball decisions, but it's become harder for coaches and front office staff to manage in the past two years after the Suns became Sarver's primary business interest.

Suns coaches became accustomed to regular beratings and demands of strategy and lineup changes, league sources said. Rival executives could sometimes hear Sarver yelling in the background on negotiation calls with the Suns' front office. Agents tell stories of private conversations occurring with Sarver without the front office's knowledge.
Not surprising in the least. I've worked for guys like this, and you can hear it in every interview with him You can hear it in the pointed way everyone else in the org talks.
I don't know what you mean by this--can you clarify what you mean when you say "the pointed way everyone else in the org talks"?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

James Jones comments on Sarver 5 months ago:
“Robert has always viewed the Suns as his primary business,” Jones said. “This is his love interest.

“It’s uncommon for a lot of owners to be there day in and day out like Robert is.”

Jones sees that as a positive and denies any overwhelming influence in important decisions coming from Sarver.

“Robert is invested in the team and like all great owners he’s deeply interested in what happens on a day-to-day basis but at no point is Robert a dictator or does he meddle in decisions,” Jones said. “It’s really a collective group that makes decisions.

“His passion a lot of times is taken for control, but really it’s just a level of investment. He’s been amazing.”
As for Jones’ role, with his first season in the books and first round of offseason preparation well underway, he figures to play a much bigger role in what moves the team makes.
Boy, does he!

http://arizonasports.com/story/1518060/ ... ssion=true
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

He's a wealthy, delusional asshole who thinks he knows how to evaluate talent at an elite level and construct a roster.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The question isn't how Sarver will fuck himself and the rest of us in the process, it's for how long.

Over/Under on James Jones for 3 years? Under. Way under.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:52 pm
“Robert is invested in the team and like all great owners he’s deeply interested in what happens on a day-to-day basis but at no point is Robert a dictator or does he meddle in decisions,” Jones said. “It’s really a collective group that makes decisions.
Maybe the best indicator of what type of a GM Jones will be.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
How do you mean?

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:27 pm
jonh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
How do you mean?
A sycophant.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

As long as Marcus Morris will like us again, I'm all for it!

https://twitter.com/MookMorris2/status/1049751069763485696

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The fact that the Morris twins hated McD makes me like him more.

And I really don't see what Mike James has to be bitter about. We gave him a fully guaranteed year after his 2-way expired despite the fact that he was a fringe NBA player.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Why am I not surprised that McDo wasn't FOE? I think it's his haircut that gives it away.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 pm
Why am I not surprised that McDo wasn't FOE? I think it's his haircut that gives it away.
If only he had grown the FOE beard...

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

jonh wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:57 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm
carey wrote:

I don't know what you mean by this--can you clarify what you mean when you say "the pointed way everyone else in the org talks"?
When I hear the announcers talking about roster construction and explaining how you need a variety of on the roster to win, it sounds to me like they are rehashing an internal discussion. When I heard Ryan talking about the fact that young teams just don't win with baby superstars, I think he was rehashing internal conversations. Stuff like that reminds me of companies I've worked where we all tried to get through to the sociopath boss by just having a culture f constantly repeating the facts that he didn't understand.

SDC

Post by SDC »

hopefully, james jones lands a decent PG before the start of the season. dragic or lonzo would be okay. getting igor's boy milos would also be great.

beverley :lol:

Cap

Post by Cap »

SDC wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:35 pm
hopefully, james jones lands a decent PG before the start of the season. dragic or lonzo would be okay. getting igor's boy milos would also be great.

beverley :lol:
I’m not a fan of the LaVar show, but if he ended up getting under Sarver’s skin it would be worth it.