2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:21 pm
Split T wrote:If Pelicans want a player, would they take 6 and Warren instead of 4? We move up two spots, get the guy we want and also clear 10 million in space. Could do it with Jackson too, but not sure pels would want Jackson.
Who is it we have a hard-on for at 4? Are we sure Garland is going to be any better than White? Enough we surrender Warren for him?
It’s more about the cap space to me. We get a little value out of Warren by getting our choice at 4, rather than waiting to see who drops. Maybe Garland, maybe Culver, who knows. But then we have 20 million in cap space instead of 10.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:07 pm
Nickeil Alexander Walker, sophomore for Virginia Tech...6’6 combo guard. Played almost exclusively off the ball as a freshman, but took on a primary role this year. He’s more in the George Hill, Malcolm Brogdon mold...Low usage pg, but he can defend both guard positions, can shoot, and can run the offense.

16/4/4 with 2 steals and shot .47/.37/.78 this season
A PG with a APG of 4? 😂😂😂😂😂 You're high...

Split T

Post by Split T »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:24 am
Split T wrote:
Nickeil Alexander Walker, sophomore for Virginia Tech...6’6 combo guard. Played almost exclusively off the ball as a freshman, but took on a primary role this year. He’s more in the George Hill, Malcolm Brogdon mold...Low usage pg, but he can defend both guard positions, can shoot, and can run the offense.

Did you catch the part where I said in the Malcolm Brogdon/George Hill mold? Both have career apg under 4.0

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Split T wrote:

Guess how many apg Darius Garland and Coby White averaged?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I still wouldn't exactly call NAW a PG or combo guard. He's a shooting guard.

I'm warming up to Coby White.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:17 pm
I still wouldn't exactly call NAW a PG or combo guard. He's a shooting guard.

I'm warming up to Coby White.
I think the lines between positions are silly. NAW can handle the ball and run the offense a bit, call it whatever you want, but he’s got a lot of tools that you’d want next to Devin Booker.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I wouldn't call NAW a PG either. But I think he could be developed to be a combo guard, especially with two guys like Ayton and Booker that will/should have the ball in their hands a lot.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Vladimir_Taltos

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Split T wrote:

Did you catch the part where I said in the Malcolm Brogdon/George Hill mold? Both have career apg under 4.0
That is not a PG...it's a ball hog with a PG title. Everybody is worried about scoring...ffs, put a creator on this team that can work with Oubre, Ayton, Booker and we'd tear it up. 4APG is NOT getting that done!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Split T wrote:

That is not a PG...it's a ball hog with a PG title. Everybody is worried about scoring...ffs, put a creator on this team that can work with Oubre, Ayton, Booker and we'd tear it up. 4APG is NOT getting that done!
Brogdon, Hill, and NAW are the exact opposite of ball hogs. They are secondary creators that spend a lot of time off the ball. We don’t need a ball dominant pg that orchestrates everything when we have guys like Booker and Ayton who will have the ball in their hands.

We don’t need Nash. We don’t need to turn booker into Joe Johnson or Ayton into Amare. There are other ways to build a team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We do need a distributor to help us run our offense. We have seen what it's like when a shoot-first PG like Bledsoe runs the team; it's bad. And we've seen what it's like when the offense runs through Booker and Ayton; it's bad. Whomever we sign as our starting PG needs to be able to create good looks for his teammates and get them the ball.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:26 pm
We do need a distributor to help us run our offense. We have seen what it's like when a shoot-first PG like Bledsoe runs the team; it's bad. And we've seen what it's like when the offense runs through Booker and Ayton; it's bad. Whomever we sign as our starting PG needs to be able to create good looks for his teammates and get them the ball.
We need a pg that can both score and distribute.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ray Allen averaged 4-5 apg for parts of his career. Wouldn't call him a PG. Same as Booker. Yea guys can PLAY point guard and get assists, but are they really PGs?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I don’t think that captures everything. The offense was fine with Bledsoe when Dragic was here. Bledsoe was literally the pg of the 3rd best offense this year. The offense was bad with booker/Ayton because it had negative offensive players everywhere.

Do we need more shot creators? Yes of course, but to say we need a distributor to run the offense just isn’t true. We just need good players on the court. Melton and Okobo were non threats. Jackson has been one of the least efficient offensive players in the nba.

Just put good players on the court and at least one more that can shoulder some of the shot creation load and you can put together a good offense.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:32 pm
Ray Allen averaged 4-5 apg for parts of his career. Wouldn't call him a PG. Same as Booker. Yea guys can PLAY point guard and get assists, but are they really PGs?
This is why I just don’t really like labeling players at positions. It’s really only helpful for defensive purposes. Draymond, Lebron, Simmons, Giannis, Jokic...all are essentially the pg of their teams if your definition of pg is the primary ball handler who initiates the offense.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Except we don't have those guys. So find a PG who can get everyone involved, shoot, and defend.

I don't think we need a ball dominant PG getting 10apg either. The best teams typically have a spread offense with multiple guys getting those assists. If we can have a PG get 6-7, Book get 3-4, Ayton get 3-4 it'd be ideal. I just don't want Book doing 90% of the ballhanding and distributing with a 6-5 scorer next to him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Booker was a 7 assist guy last year. He is one of those guys. Yes we need someone to help him out and I’d imagine he drops to about 5 assists when we do get that help, but I’m fine keeping Booker as our primary ball handler. Brogdon averaged 3 assists a game last year and I think he’d be the perfect fit next to booker.

Vladimir_Taltos

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Preach it, Brotha, preach it!

Vladimir_Taltos

Booker's skills are wasted if he has to spend his energy creating for others. The hell this team wouldn't benefit from a Nash type PG...this team would be close to a dominant team with a Nash at point

In other depressing news...odds that Leonard bails on Toronto and jumps on to knob job LeBron too? 😤

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Booker slogs down the entire offense and can't throw an entry pass. I hate watching him walk the ball up and pound it.