2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by INFORMER »

https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1130168001427148802

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That's the best game of Doumbouya's career by far. He's an interesting prospect, but certainly still a gamble in the lottery.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 pm
That's the best game of Doumbouya's career by far. He's an interesting prospect, but certainly still a gamble in the lottery.
Didn't Archie once score 29 points in an NBA game?
"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:22 pm
In the clips above, he reminds me a bit of Rudy Gay.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bazely is interesting at 32

Split T

Post by Split T »

Very talented, but very risky

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:Very talented, but very risky

I told y'all once he got into workouts he was going to rise up the boards. Could go before us to Cleveland. I think he will play a small 4 in the league like Paul George because of his 7''1" wingspan. Look how easy he shoots it compares to how labored Clarke looked shooting the 3 in that video floating around. Then remember Clarke is 4 years older....
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:39 pm
Split T wrote:Very talented, but very risky

I told y'all once he got into workouts he was going to rise up the boards. Could go before us to Cleveland. I think he will play a small 4 in the league like Paul George because of his 7''1" wingspan. Look how easy he shoots it compares to how labored Clarke looked shooting the 3 in that video floating around. Then remember Clarke is 4 years older....
That Clarke video was painful. His release was T-Rex/Marion-like.

The FOMO on Reddish is real. He has one of the highest upsides in the draft. And you can argue both sides - that we need to swing for the fences or that we can't afford to miss with this pick.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm not high at all on Clarke, especially after his measurements. I don't see a basketball player there and just because he's athletic and hustles doesn't mean he's a perfect fit next to Ayton. Looks a lot like Josh Jackson, who got away with it in college because he was quicker, faster, more athletic than most but wasn't a technically sound player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What’s the Clarke video? Is it an old one from his San Jose st. days?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not sure if it was posted on here but here it is:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:53 pm
I'm not high at all on Clarke, especially after his measurements. I don't see a basketball player there and just because he's athletic and hustles doesn't mean he's a perfect fit next to Ayton. Looks a lot like Josh Jackson, who got away with it in college because he was quicker, faster, more athletic than most but wasn't a technically sound player.
Idk, he had the 3rd highest BPM in the last 10 yrs in college basketball, barely behind Zion and AD. His defensive instincts are miles above Jackson's at Kansas. He's good passer in the post, finds open space, was one of the most efficient players we've seen in years. Blocked more shots than missed shots, kept his TOs down. Every advanced defensive and offensive stat says he was historically outstanding for his position. I watched him guard Zion, Culver and numerous others in big games and done very well inside as a weakside helper, on the ball inside as well as outside.

STAT STRENGTHS
Win Shares
FG%
PER
EFG%
Off Rating
TS%
Off Win Shares
Box +/-
Off Box +/-
Def Win Shares
Def Rating
Blocks
Def Box +/-
AST/TO
Steals
Off Rebounds
AST%/Usage
Turnovers

STAT WEAKNESSES
Wingspan
Draft Age
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I like Clarke a lot and his shot mechanics don't really bother me. The main reason I like him is because he plays defense better than anyone currently on the Suns roster, save for maybe Mikal. There isn't a homerun prospect at #6, so I think the Suns need to find the guy who can become elite in at least one skill.

The stuff posted about Cam Reddish is exactly why I had him third on my draft board behind Clarke and Garland. I'm not crazy about the Suns taking him without knowing what they'll do with the 3-4 other guys already on the roster who play his same position. But the Suns could be in the perfect spot to trade back, get their guy like Clarke or Hunter, and pick up an asset if another team loves Reddish.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I like Clarke because he was a good player, with a genius level bballiq on the defensive end. We need smart players on offense and defense. He's also like Bridges, where he is going to impact winning positively without having to be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option. Those type of role players are extremely valuable and his strengths fit perfectly on the defensive end next to Ayton's weaknesses. He essentially will lift the level of defense as a team, just having him on the floor. Ayton will look like a much better player when playing next to him. The Suns need another primary ball handler and shooter next to Booker, and of course he's not that, but he's not going to cause waves taking shots or demanding shots and the spotlight next to guys like Ayton, Booker, 3rd Star, or Oubre. I could see him being a hybrid of PJ Tucker and Shawn Marion without the drama.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Are you taking him 6?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:52 pm
Are you taking him 6?
I wouldn't have any problems with the Suns taking him at 6th. I have him 4th on my board. I've seen others that have him up to 2. Then I've seen others have him all the way at 17.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Tacko Fall at 32?

From Sam Vecenie's Athletic Draft Combine Recap:
Tacko Fall, UCF: I’ll be honest, I wrote off Fall as a potential draft pick a couple of years ago. I didn’t think there was ever any way that a guy who struggles that much with general coordination would be able to play in the modern NBA. But at the end of the day, I was wrong. Fall is kind of a real NBA Draft prospect.

He just warps the game to such a ridiculous extent. Think about this: in terms of height, the difference between Fall and someone like Steven Adams, a legitimate 7-footer, is equivalent to the height difference between Adams and a true guard at 6-foot-5 like James Harden. Then, throw in the fact that Fall has an absolutely preposterous 8-foot-2.5 wingspan — about four inches longer than that of Mohamed Bamba, and it’s easy to understand why Fall is just a genuinely unique player who is unlike anything else in basketball right now.

But the big movement here for Fall that has made him go from non-prospect to prospect is his frame. He’s gone from being a non-athlete to merely a below-average one, and that might be enough given his unbelievable size. His mobility has increased dramatically over his four years. While he won’t be anything resembling a switch guy on the perimeter, he’s not going to get flat out embarrassed. But on the inside, it’s hard to imagine many guys scoring easily against him. After all, he doesn’t even need to leap to be able to get his hands over the rim, as his 10-foot-2 standing reach gives him a few inches of coverage over the basket against drivers. That was on display in the G League Elite Camp, where he was a legitimately dominant force on the interior, and earned his way into the NBA Draft Combine. Then, in the combine’s first game, Fall made potential first-round pick Neemias Queta look small and dominated around the basket as a rim protector. In the second game, he was a bit less productive, but still useful on defense.

Look, I’m not saying Fall is an answer to a team’s prayers at center. At the end of the day, he’s probably a 10-minute per game guy given his propensity for fouling and his complete and utter inability to make foul shots. But as a weird situational player to throw out there, I can see why a team would be intrigued. If he got picked in the last 10 picks of the draft, I don’t think I’d be particularly surprised. He’ll enter my top-100 board, which is something I never anticipated saying.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Taco Fall would be a waste of the 32nd pick. There are too many guys with more potential at that spot. I wouldn't be against taking him later though.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The question for this draft is: How far might Tacko Fall?
"Be Legendary."

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

UNPOPULAR OPINION: The draft is an absolute crap-shoot.

Yes, I say this every year. And every year I become more and more convinced that teams who were successful the last couple years simply got lucky.

There isnt anywhere near enough data to accurately determine who will be good and who wont. You can identify what 6-7 areas should be used to evaluate a talent, weigh them equally and simple algorithm will be more successful than any human as it will not have any biases. Even then, a machine isnt going to be any crystal ball.

So the best any team can do is pray for good draft luck.

Better to spend your time, money and effort on selecting good free agents, coaches and trade options.