2019 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:21 pm
After giving it a lot of thought, I've decided that I feel confident drafting whoever INF wants to draft at number 6.
LOL. I'm with you. I have no dogs in the fight this year. Although I, unlike INF, wouldn't mind trading it if necessary to get a good veteran player.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Even INF is on board for trading it for Dinwiddie

Split T

Post by Split T »

Doesn’t seem like a thing we’d do(adding two more rookies) but I’d be in favor of moving 6 for 10 and 17. Draft Clarke at 10 and NAW at 17. Or just go NAW at 10 if Clarke is gone and take a big at 17.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:44 pm
Doesn’t seem like a thing we’d do(adding two more rookies) but I’d be in favor of moving 6 for 10 and 17. Draft Clarke at 10 and NAW at 17. Or just go NAW at 10 if Clarke is gone and take a big at 17.
A lot of people are speculating that Atl is going to move up to 5 to get Culver, using maybe 8 & 10 or 8 & 17. What kind of deal could the Suns do with Washington to move back to 9 to take Clarke, if they don't want to take him at 6? 9 has been good to the Suns in the past(Marion, Stoudemire). Otherwise, just take Clarke, don't get cute.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
No no no no. We do not need another two rookies.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:43 pm
Split T wrote:
That's such a silly take. It doesn't matter if the Suns have a 1000 rookies, as long as they have the right veterans in front of them.

The point guard spot wasn't a mess because the Suns had two rookies last year. It was a mess because that's all they had! Canaan failed, and that left Melton, who barely even had college experience, and Okobo, who was coming from the French league. Two second rounders with limited playing experience. No team in the league (that wasn't tanking) would entrust a starting spot to those options.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
I don't think NAW is lasting until 17. But yeah, I would do that trade. The only thing that would give me pause, is the Oubre situation. If we don't think we can resign him, I'd be tempted to stay at 6 for Culver.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:20 am
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:
That's such a silly take. It doesn't matter if the Suns have a 1000 rookies, as long as they have the right veterans in front of them.

The point guard spot wasn't a mess because the Suns had two rookies last year. It was a mess because that's all they had! Canaan failed, and that left Melton, who barely even had college experience, and Okobo, who was coming from the French league. Two second rounders with limited playing experience. No team in the league (that wasn't tanking) would entrust a starting spot to those options.
I don’t want another two roster spots taken by marginal rookies. We’ll never see eye to eye on this. We have enough young players. We need talent not potential at this point.

Now if you want to trade Melton or Okobo for a pick and swap one project for another then fine. But I don’t even want us drafting at 6 let alone doubling down further down the lottery in a shit draft. I want that pick aggressively shopped for a 1 or a 4 with actual proven NBA success unless we can magically fill both spots in FA

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:33 am
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

I don’t want another two roster spots taken by marginal rookies. We’ll never see eye to eye on this. We have enough young players. We need talent not potential at this point.

Now if you want to trade Melton or Okobo for a pick and swap one project for another then fine. But I don’t even want us drafting at 6 let alone doubling down further down the lottery in a s*** draft. I want that pick aggressively shopped for a 1 or a 4 with actual proven NBA success unless we can magically fill both spots in FA
If the rumors about squad turnover are to be believed, having two rookies wouldn't be an issue if they're guys who the staff believes in.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:33 am
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

Now if you want to trade Melton or Okobo for a pick and swap one project for another then fine. But I don’t even want us drafting at 6 let alone doubling down further down the lottery in a s*** draft. I want that pick aggressively shopped for a 1 or a 4 with actual proven NBA success unless we can magically fill both spots in FA

I’m not opposed to trading the pick, but I struggle to see a realistic trade option that makes us better. This draft is kinda meh to me where we are drafting. Clarke is a guy I’d consider at 6, so moving back, drafting Clarke, and still having pick 17 would be a really good value move.

That still leaves us with 10 million plus trade chips(Warren, Jackson, Melton, Okobo, Mil Pick) to add a vet pg and pf.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:22 am
Split T wrote:
I don't think NAW is lasting until 17. But yeah, I would do that trade. The only thing that would give me pause, is the Oubre situation. If we don't think we can resign him, I'd be tempted to stay at 6 for Culver.
Ya, I’m not sure where NAW will go, but I could see him going before 17. If he’s the guy you really want, take him at 10 and then hope clarke falls(very doubtful) draft someone else at 17, or maybe use 17/32 to trade up a few spots.

This is assuming Clarke and NAW are the targets, suns seem to like Grant Williams a lot, they may target him at 17

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Please tell me who NAW is before I gnaw off my arm.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SGA's cousin
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:52 pm
Nickeil Alexander Walker.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nickeil Alexander Walker, sophomore for Virginia Tech...6’6 combo guard. Played almost exclusively off the ball as a freshman, but took on a primary role this year. He’s more in the George Hill, Malcolm Brogdon mold...Low usage pg, but he can defend both guard positions, can shoot, and can run the offense.

16/4/4 with 2 steals and shot .47/.37/.78 this season

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:05 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thank you!
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:SGA's cousin
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Both are true! Is he available at 32? Is he better than Melton as soon as he gets here?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:51 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Both are true! Is he available at 32? Is he better than Melton as soon as he gets here?
I doubt he's available at 32. And I'm not convinced he would be a better immediately, but may be in a year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:51 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Thanks for confirming that. I thought In2 was just messing with me on the cousin thing.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think NAW would be significantly better offensively. Maybe not the defender, but he’s a bigger defender.