Around the League: Week of 3/2-3/9

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: Week of 3/2-3/9

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:Latest Simmons article on the Sixers tanking job: Here
Good read. I don't get too hot-and-bothered about it, but yeah, what Hinkie is doing is pathetic.

Simmons concludes that article in interesting fashion:
And that’s why this tanking bullshit matters. When 36 percent of your league is willfully throwing away the last five weeks of an 82-game season, you’re doing something wrong. Stern stuck his head in the sand. He pretended self-sabotage wasn’t a recurring danger, just like he pretended the broken officiating system was fine … and the always-disappointing All-Star Saturday was fine … and the annoying 2-3-2 Finals format was fine … and the stunning lack of minority league executives at every CBA bargaining table was fine … and the embarrassing Chris Paul trade veto was fine … and The Decision was fine … and the Maloofs destroying basketball in Sacramento to the point that the fans had to revolt was fine … and Clay Bennett extorting Seattle for a new arena and ultimately hijacking the team was fine … and the league owning the New Orleans franchise as it landed the no. 1 overall pick was fine … and starting off Silver’s commissioner transition by hovering over him for an extra eight months was fine.
Nice list, though harping on the 2-3-2 Finals format is so lame. I've never gotten that. "But, but, what if the home team loses the first two games?!" Well then the home team screwed up and probably isn't good enough to win it all. Tough.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

^ INF

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Al Jefferson is playing some great basketball. He has a 22.45 PER for the season. But the most impressive thing? He averages 1.5 turnovers per game. For someone that productive, that's incredible.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:Lol, I remember some folks on Spurstalk joking that "we never lose a Finals."

Gotta admit, I was happy either way. Either to see the Spurs fans (mainly the Duncan/Ginobili riders) actually face some tribulation, or to see the King humbled once again.

...I do wonder how many of the ST posters will actually stick with the team after the Duncan/Pop era. Timvp/Kori are a given, but I do wonder about the rest.

Ah well, there's something about Suns fandom that is uniquely special to me; the proverbial carrot on the stick...wanna eat the carrot some day fer shure,
After all the battles, I have to say that I don't have any hate, just respect, and actually wanted them to win the finals against the Heat.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Awesome. Tyson Chandler slams Kevin Love during his halftime interview with a "he can't play D" blast.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

So yeah, the 76rs are doing the most obvious tank job ever. I still don't get the indignation. It's their choice, the rules allow it and it's been done before. Only recently the media and fans have started to consider it a big deal and something dishonest.

Personally I believe a franchise, above all smaller ones, needs to be able to implement strategies like this maligned tanking. It's their problem if they alieanate their fans or favor the development of bad habits by the players in the process of building a better future. It is ugly as hell, but some times ugly things need to be done.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

I think 3 may be unfair, and is just an exaggerated troll job from Spurstalk. I will give the man the benefit of the doubt; He has always been a class act. The rest, given our history, is funny as shit. Hilarious.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't forgive the Spurs for dirty play against the Suns in the mid-2000s. Horry Shoving Nash into the scorer's table. Bowen kicking our players, holding them, fouling on every possession, standing under people as they jump to try to hurt their ankles. That guy had no shame.

But I sure as hell wanted them to beat the Heat last year. I hate Lebron and just want to see anybody slow down his ascent. I thought it'd be a great story for Timmy, Tony, and Manu to win one more ring. Cubby would have hated it, because it'd have put Duncan and Kobe even at 5 titles each. He endlessly taunts the Spurstalk crowd with his "Kobe 5, Duncan 4" schtick.

carey

Post by carey »

Kind of a must watch. Video on the Rio Grande Vipers offense: Here

Troy Daniels himself attempts 13 3s per game. He set the D-League record for made 3s ... at the halfway point of the season. It's certainly interesting.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Hahaha. Only 3pts and layups. The paroxysm of the advanced stats.

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Hahaha. Only 3pts and layups. The paroxysm of the advanced stats.
They're scoring like 25 more points per game than the D-League average. It's kind of ridiculous.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Have not watched it yet, but it sounds like the same offense Grinnell runs to get Jack Taylor to break all the scoring records.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Hahaha. Only 3pts and layups. The paroxysm of the advanced stats.
40% on 3's = 60% on 2's. Odd stuff really.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Have not watched it yet, but it sounds like the same offense Grinnell runs to get Jack Taylor to break all the scoring records.
Oh, definitely not that weird shit.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Have not watched it yet, but it sounds like the same offense Grinnell runs to get Jack Taylor to break all the scoring records.
Grinnell is a totally different animal where they will play 4 on 5 defense and try to cherry pick one player all the time. If the other team takes a man off the offensive end to stay with them, they will go 3 on 4, and put another player down on the offensive end while the rest of the team plays defense. The idea is to get shots up as soon as possible, and mostly one player doing all the shooting.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

I didn't know Korver's streak of games played with at least 1 3-pointer made ended last night.

Anyway, some stats during Korver's run courtesy of Grantland: Here
  • At a certain point, watching Hawks-Blazers became a chore, and it was something I continued doing only to see if it would actually end, which it did. Kyle Korver’s (all-time best) streak of 127 consecutive games with at least one made 3-pointer came to an end in a blowout loss to the Portland Trail Blazers last night. Here are some fun facts about the incredible streak:
  • Korver’s 127-game streak ran from November 4, 2012, to March 2, 2014.
  • The Hawks went 66-61 during the streak (.520 winning percentage).
  • The previous record holder was Dana Barros, whose streak spanned 89 games from December 23, 1994, to January 10, 1996.
  • Korver made 337 3-point shots during the streak.
  • Magic Johnson made 325 3-point shots in his entire career.
  • In the three seasons before the beginning of the streak, Korver himself made only 297 3-pointers.
  • Korver shot 46.9 percent from 3 throughout his run.
  • Steve Kerr holds the all-time record for 3-point percentage among players with at least 700 3-point attempts at 45.4 percent. (Korver attempted 718 3s during the streak.)
  • Korver attempted only 335 2-point shots during the streak.
  • Korver’s single-game high in 3s over this period was eight, which he accomplished against Boston on January 25, 2013, and Sacramento on December 18, 2013.
  • Korver went perfect from 3 twice during the streak, nailing 5-of-5 against the Kings on November 16, 2012, and 6-of-6 against the Lakers on November 3, 2013.
  • Korver made only one 3 in just 31 of the 127 games, meaning he made multiple 3s in 75.6 percent of his games throughout the streak.
  • The current leader in consecutive games with at least one made 3-pointer is Stephen Curry, with 50.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

46.9% during the streak is a ridiculously high percentage.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:I didn't know Korver's streak of games played with at least 1 3-pointer made ended last night.

Anyway, some stats during Korver's run courtesy of Grantland: Here
  • At a certain point, watching Hawks-Blazers became a chore, and it was something I continued doing only to see if it would actually end, which it did. Kyle Korver’s (all-time best) streak of 127 consecutive games with at least one made 3-pointer came to an end in a blowout loss to the Portland Trail Blazers last night. Here are some fun facts about the incredible streak:
  • Korver’s 127-game streak ran from November 4, 2012, to March 2, 2014.
  • The Hawks went 66-61 during the streak (.520 winning percentage).
  • The previous record holder was Dana Barros, whose streak spanned 89 games from December 23, 1994, to January 10, 1996.
  • Korver made 337 3-point shots during the streak.
  • Magic Johnson made 325 3-point shots in his entire career.
  • In the three seasons before the beginning of the streak, Korver himself made only 297 3-pointers.
  • Korver shot 46.9 percent from 3 throughout his run.
  • Steve Kerr holds the all-time record for 3-point percentage among players with at least 700 3-point attempts at 45.4 percent. (Korver attempted 718 3s during the streak.)
  • Korver attempted only 335 2-point shots during the streak.
  • Korver’s single-game high in 3s over this period was eight, which he accomplished against Boston on January 25, 2013, and Sacramento on December 18, 2013.
  • Korver went perfect from 3 twice during the streak, nailing 5-of-5 against the Kings on November 16, 2012, and 6-of-6 against the Lakers on November 3, 2013.
  • Korver made only one 3 in just 31 of the 127 games, meaning he made multiple 3s in 75.6 percent of his games throughout the streak.
  • The current leader in consecutive games with at least one made 3-pointer is Stephen Curry, with 50.
I'd like to have seen that last game. He must have been jacking them at the end. Actually, I might be able to watch it courtesy of LP. Kind of like Majerle's last game in Phoenix.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:I'd like to have seen that last game. He must have been jacking them at the end. Actually, I might be able to watch it courtesy of LP. Kind of like Majerle's last game in Phoenix.
That was hilarious. I was courtside under the basket at the game. I'll never forget. IIRC, Swingy said there was a very large .net contingent there as well.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

This is interesting. Jim Rome interview with Rex Chapman where he talks a lot about Kentucky but also talks about Carmelo Anthony. Says he doesn't do any of the little things it takes to win. For example, he says he has never ever seen Melo take a charge: Here
Go Suns!

Og Snus!