Woj: Mavs Close to Moving Dennis Smith. Suns in Talks

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Woj: Mavs Close to Moving Dennis Smith. Suns in Talks

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm
If Goran declines his player option, we could have IT, Bledsoe, and Goran all on the market this summer. :lol:
So...should we sign all three? :P
OF COURSE! But we have to promise each of them they will be the lead guard with the ball in their hands.
Maybe we could sign Brandon Knight this summer as well after he is bought out, and try a 4 point guard lineup!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:10 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm
If Goran declines his player option, we could have IT, Bledsoe, and Goran all on the market this summer. :lol:
So...should we sign all three? :P
OF COURSE! But we have to promise each of them they will be the lead guard with the ball in their hands.
Maybe we could sign Brandon Knight this summer as well after he is bought out, and try a 4 point guard lineup!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:08 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:52 pm
Same as booker got, minus year 5. Raises each year might be slightly decreased, but something like 4/110 I’d guess
I thought it was different since he was a 2nd rounder... but I am not good on the cap rules.
You’re right, he’s only in year 3, so his salary next year can’t be above the mid level exception with a slight raise in year 2 and then a huge jump in year 3 and 4. So it would be something like 9, 9.5, 25, 27. So you’re looking at 4/70 total...I think?

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Also seen us linked to Frank Ntilikina today on NewsNow. I know some on here were high on him before this season.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ntilikina doesn’t make much sense with Melton here. I guess if you think ntilikina is the better prospect, but they both kinda offer the same thing.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:51 am
Ntilikina doesn’t make much sense with Melton here. I guess if you think ntilikina is the better prospect, but they both kinda offer the same thing.
This.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:23 pm
Ya Ja looks real good, but he’ll struggle a lot as a rookie.
Wow, I'm not sure why you're so certain about that. We'll see.

Besides his shaky 3-point shot, the only issue I have with Morant is all the unnecessary flexing/barking he does every time he makes a play.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:50 pm
A max for Brogdon is insane. Madness.
I agree. And I really like Brogdon. I wouldn't offer more than $20 mil/yr.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:06 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Same as booker got, minus year 5. Raises each year might be slightly decreased, but something like 4/110 I’d guess
I thought it was different since he was a 2nd rounder... but I am not good on the cap rules.
You’re right, he’s only in year 3, so his salary next year can’t be above the mid level exception with a slight raise in year 2 and then a huge jump in year 3 and 4. So it would be something like 9, 9.5, 25, 27. So you’re looking at 4/70 total...I think?
I don't think that is accurate. I think those are the rules for 2nd rounders coming off 2-yr contracts. Brogdon's three years with Milwaukee give them full Bird rights and should qualify him for the 25% max salary.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Eh. I think Ntilikina's size is a difference-maker. If he can be developed, his skillset gives you tremendous lineup flexibility. He could run the point while also having Booker and another small, scoring guard on the court playing off the ball. So Ntilikina would be the three, Booker at the 2, and someone like Markus Howard at the 1.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:02 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:23 pm
Ya Ja looks real good, but he’ll struggle a lot as a rookie.
Wow, I'm not sure why you're so certain about that. We'll see.

Besides his shaky 3-point shot, the only issue I have with Morant is all the unnecessary flexing/barking he does every time he makes a play.
When’s the last time a 19/20 year old pg had a positive impact on their rookie year? My concern doesn’t really have anything to do with Ja, but just how hard it is for a rookie to come in and play pg.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 pm
Split T wrote:
Eh. I think Ntilikina's size is a difference-maker. If he can be developed, his skillset gives you tremendous lineup flexibility. He could run the point while also having Booker and another small, scoring guard on the court playing off the ball. So Ntilikina would be the three, Booker at the 2, and someone like Markus Howard at the 1.
Ya I get that. I was a big fan predraft of ntilikina and if we didn’t have Melton I’d be all for going after him. But I like Melton and don’t think ntilikina has shown enough to warrant giving up on Melton for him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:20 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:06 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I don't think that is accurate. I think those are the rules for 2nd rounders coming off 2-yr contracts. Brogdon's three years with Milwaukee give them full Bird rights and should qualify him for the 25% max salary.
Possibly, I couldn’t find anything definitive

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:49 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Ya I get that. I was a big fan predraft of ntilikina and if we didn’t have Melton I’d be all for going after him. But I like Melton and don’t think ntilikina has shown enough to warrant giving up on Melton for him.
I don't want to give up on Melton either. I would think Ntilikina would take Jackson's place. You still start Melton but Have Ntilikina play alongside Okobo in the second unit.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:16 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:49 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
I don't want to give up on Melton either. I would think Ntilikina would take Jackson's place. You still start Melton but Have Ntilikina play alongside Okobo in the second unit.
Huh, that is the same thought I had about him. If that were the case I think I'd rather just keep Jackson.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:08 pm
Shabazz wrote:
I think even that amount is obscene.

Morant will be terrific. Maybe Westbrook-good. But not in year one. I think I'd rather him be our starting PG that some of these middling free agents that we'd have to overpay, like Rozier. It just means we need to hit a home-run to get another starting caliber player (at PF?) if we want to make the playoffs.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:08 pm
Shabazz wrote:
I think even that amount is obscene.
Really? Aaron Gordon got $21 mil/yr. TJ got extended for $12 mil/yr while not being a 3-point threat or able to stay on the court. Just Winslow got extended for $13 mil/yr while he was playing some pretty unimpressive if not bad basketball. Evan Fournier is making $17 mil/yr.

Ideally, I would want to pay Brogdon $16-18 mil/yr. What do you thing is a realistic salary?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You guys are making Frank out to be a lot more than he is/will be.

SDC

Post by SDC »

i'd give derrick rose a 3 yr/39 mil deal next season.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

SDC wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:36 am
i'd give derrick rose a 3 yr/39 mil deal next season.
Welp, we've found McD's burner account on Phx-suns.net.