Game Day: Suns (11-33) @ Pacers (28-14), Tues 1/15/19

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Game Day: Suns (11-33) @ Pacers (28-14), Tues 1/15/19

Post by Nodack »

Watching Bones comments it seems the refs hated us in the first quarter. I wonder how much that effects a players psyche if they are down in a hostile environment and the refs seem to be making all the calls against them. I wonder if they start taking the attitude of “The refs aren’t going to let us win this game so why bother?”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think that's why Igor plays it down and doesn't react, go nuts or cry to the refs during games. He stays on an even keel and wants his team to play that way. I think he wants his players focused on the game and not making excuses or chirping at the refs, getting Ts. In general, I agree with the philosophy but it's getting ridiculous.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We make a lot of swipes at the ball...sometimes refs will just call those fouls...I can see how getting a few early calls on those plays will cause us to lose our aggressiveness

Indy

Post by Indy »

We have more fouls called against us than any other team, and we have 3rd fewest fouls called for us.

Cap

Post by Cap »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:06 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:07 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:10 pm
I wouldn't say guys were deferring to Book but he's just a different player to play with. He's a dominant offensive player so he wants the ball in his hands to slow the game down and look for his offense. Before, guys like Jackson, Oubre, Bridges, TJ were just flipping the ball around and moving, penetrating, kicking out...it was more fluid. Last night the offense stalled a bit with him, especially as a ballhandler. We should run some offense like the Ws run for Klay just to get some ball movement. Otherwise, you're watching Booker try to imitate Harden and it's ugly.
Frankly, it’s ugly when Harden does it, even if it is effective.
Very true. Never seen such a dominant offensive player be so unbearable to watch. Bleh.
Kobe?

But that was more about his attitude and character than his play.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I found it hard to watch Shaq in his prime. He just bullied everyone, pushed his way to the basket, got a dunk, and a foul. He was super dominant and in some ways that was impressive, but it was super frustrating to watch on the opposing team.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:42 pm
I found it hard to watch Shaq in his prime. He just bullied everyone, pushed his way to the basket, got a dunk, and a foul. He was super dominant and in some ways that was impressive, but it was super frustrating to watch on the opposing team.
I feel like they only called the fouls he received half the time, that dude got murdered in the paint nightly.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:46 pm
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:42 pm
I feel like they only called the fouls he received half the time, that dude got murdered in the paint nightly.
If they rewarded post defenders for playing position defense rather than let offensive players dislodge them with the constant bumping, it would be a cleaner game.

Shaq was a unique case, sure, he out-muscled players and ran a lot of defenders over on his way to the basket but he also absorbed a lot of punishment by players who were fighting to hold position or trying to foul him hard to put him on the free throw line.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't have huge problem with watching Harden. The refs are officiating him a little better, not just giving him the calls when he does his kamikaze drives and just throws his hands up in the air.

What I really wish is that they would call him for his push-offs. He gets away with pushing off on the perimeter the create separation to shoot a jumper.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:33 pm
I don't have huge problem with watching Harden. The refs are officiating him a little better, not just giving him the calls when he does his kamikaze drives and just throws his hands up in the air.

What I really wish is that they would call him for his push-offs. He gets away with pushing off on the perimeter the create separation to shoot a jumper.
LeBron too, drives me nuts.