2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: 2019 NBA Trade Deadline

Post by djy2j »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 am
What would people think about going after Danilo Gallinari? Clips obviously going for cap space this summer. He’s not a true 4, but he’s better equipped to play it than our wings.
I like him but I’d rather have someone with less injury history. He just has had soooo many injuries. Like an abnormal amount.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s true. It’d be tricky to make the trade work as well as we don’t really have expiring contracts. Unless LA would be fine just saving the 10 extra million going from Gallo to Warren, we’d probably have to find a 3rd team to take warren.

A Bender/Daniels/Frank Mason to LA
Gallo to Phoenix
Warren to Sacramento
works from a financial standpoint. You’d need to add picks into the equation though.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

n4th4n wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 am
djy2j wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 am
It just feels like we’re not going to do anything. I feel like we could have gotten Harris. Now one of our FA targets is gone. Not that we had a chance at a FA but it’s fun to pretend
Common, did you really want to send out a young player and 2 picks for a PF who could walk away in 3 months?? This trade makes sense for Philly who is competing to go to the finals and has a great chance of retaining Harris. It wouldn't have made a lick of sense for us.
I mean it “looks” like a haul on paper. But the Philly pick this year will be in the 20’s. The unprotected Miami pick is the most valuable and that may or may not be a lottery pick. I doubt Riley settles for being a lottery team much longer.

Shamet is interesting but we would NOT be sending out 2 picks like that. Two Suns picks are worth much more than a Philly and a Miami pick as it stands right now.

Okobo and a protected pick or Bucks pick as well as 2 second rounders would have gotten it done had we been first one to offer.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Split T wrote:
What would people think about going after Danilo Gallinari? Clips obviously going for cap space this summer. He’s not a true 4, but he’s better equipped to play it than our wings.
I was just thinking about that as I was driving to the office this morning. In theory, I would trade Warren + an asset for Gallo in a heartbeat. He would help us in a ton of ways and would be playing on a large expiring contract next year. Unfortunately, trading for him is almost impossible given the salaries we have on the books. This is where the idiocy of waiving Chandler and Rivers before the deadline really, really, reallllllly comes back to bite us in the ass. The incompetence there is truly astounding.

carey

Post by carey »

Maker and Stanley Johnson are swapping teams.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea a Gallo trade ran thru my head....I'd trade Warren for him but I doubt the Clips are looking to take back a SF with money on his deal. I figured they'd move Gallo before Harris but maybe there just wasn't a deal to be made. I like Gallo and he can fill in as a stretch 4 even tho he's a perimeter player. The injury history scares you but I'd be OK with him on the roster with the right move.

And yea, let's not talk about Chandler's expiring deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:39 am
n4th4n wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:16 am
djy2j wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 am
It just feels like we’re not going to do anything. I feel like we could have gotten Harris. Now one of our FA targets is gone. Not that we had a chance at a FA but it’s fun to pretend
Common, did you really want to send out a young player and 2 picks for a PF who could walk away in 3 months?? This trade makes sense for Philly who is competing to go to the finals and has a great chance of retaining Harris. It wouldn't have made a lick of sense for us.
I mean it “looks” like a haul on paper. But the Philly pick this year will be in the 20’s. The unprotected Miami pick is the most valuable and that may or may not be a lottery pick. I doubt Riley settles for being a lottery team much longer.

Shamet is interesting but we would NOT be sending out 2 picks like that. Two Suns picks are worth much more than a Philly and a Miami pick as it stands right now.

Okobo and a protected pick or Bucks pick as well as 2 second rounders would have gotten it done had we been first one to offer.
That’s still a lot for a team with no chance at the playoffs this year to give up for a player who will be an unrestricted FA in 3 months. You want to give up 2 1sts and Elie so we can win 4 more games this year?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

n4th4n wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:42 am
Split T wrote:
I was just thinking about that as I was driving to the office this morning. In theory, I would trade Warren + an asset for Gallo in a heartbeat. He would help us in a ton of ways and would be playing on a large expiring contract next year. Unfortunately, trading for him is almost impossible given the salaries we have on the books. This is where the idiocy of waiving Chandler and Rivers before the deadline really, really, reallllllly comes back to bite us in the ass. The incompetence there is truly astounding.
Keeping Rivers wouldn’t have made a difference in a trade for Gallo. His salary couldn’t have been aggregated.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:44 am
Maker and Stanley Johnson are swapping teams.
MIL wants strong dudes to throw at Kawhi. Smart move. DET gains pretty much nothing with this. They should have gotten a second rounder.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Btw, no way I trade TJ for Gallo (let alone adding another asset). Interesting player but expiring and scary injury history. Don't think Jerry West would be interested anyway, so it's all good.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s not expiring. Has another year on the deal.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I guess I’m at the point where I feel the Suns are going to have to get creative to be able to lure talent. I’m not a huge Tobias fan but it just gets old doing nothing and to think we can lure a big FA on our own is just laughable. We literally have to be the least desirable franchise to sign with right now.

SDC

Post by SDC »

trade tj for danilo? lets do it.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:22 am
I guess I’m at the point where I feel the Suns are going to have to get creative to be able to lure talent. I’m not a huge Tobias fan but it just gets old doing nothing and to think we can lure a big FA on our own is just laughable. We literally have to be the least desirable franchise to sign with right now.
It does feel really frustrating are active and following a plan, while we seem to be doing little more than twiddling our thumbs. I do think we should wait until the lottery to make a major move, but it's tough having that patience when it feels like are just flushing another season down the toilet.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:13 am
He’s not expiring. Has another year on the deal.
I stand corrected. The injuries are still a concern, though. Don't think we can afford to use one of the very few proven talents we have on such a risky veteran. If they wanted to take say Anderson and MIL pick, I'd think about it (from a value standpoint at least, because we'd have even more of a logjam of forwards). That would decrese their payroll 7M next season without and they can stretch Anderson.

Really, we should be looking to trade Jackson and Oubre.

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:22 am
I don’t think so. We’re just not a destination place. So we’re in the same boat as 25 other teams. We’re not good right now, so we won’t get the elite players, but if we’re willing to pay, plenty of players would sign here.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

SDC wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:59 am
lonzo for josh jackson and a pick is still a possibility.
That’s a good deal for Lakers: gives them more fuel for other trades. My guess is they probably want us to take back bad contract for Warren. We’re so leveraged in any trade.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

n4th4n wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:33 am
it's tough having that patience when it feels like are just flushing another season down the toilet.
That's what happens when since '13-14, one endures one mediocre season (14-15), three tanking seasons and one failed non tanking 'progress' season, while at the end of the day all you have to show for it is basically Booker and Ayton.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:42 am
n4th4n wrote:
it's tough having that patience when it feels like are just flushing another season down the toilet.
That's what happens when since '13-14, one endures one mediocre season (14-15), three tanking seasons and one failed non tanking 'progress' season, while at the end of the day all you have to show for it is basically Booker and Ayton.
I think you can also add Bridges, Jackson, and Okobo to that list. Plus, this year's draft pick. But we are a still far, far from NBA relevance.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

n4th4n wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:45 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:42 am
n4th4n wrote:
I think you can also add Bridges, Jackson, and Okobo to that list. Plus, this year's draft pick. But we are a still far, far from NBA relevance.
I was about to add Warren and Bridges as they have clear skills, but they are barely relevant enough. Hence why I said 'basically'. As for the rest, I don't care about Jackson at this point, and Okobo is just a prospect. In that case you might as well mention Melton and even Oubre. But all that is grasping at straws. The '19 pick looks more and more like it's Zion or nothing (that can help right away at least). Also need better coaching, particularly to take better advantage of Ayton.