2019 NBA Playoffs First Round

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: 2019 NBA Playoffs First Round

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:41 pm
Brook Mutombo helped put away the Pistons. Bledsoe was really good too.

I know Pistons fans must be cursing that the front office went with Kennard instead of Mitchell, but Kennard is tracking to being a quality player. I think there might be a future for them with making him the primary ballhandler and starting him next to Khyri Thomas. They need a small forward desperately.
I admit I don't know how this works exactly, but could the Suns trade Warren to Detroit for Ish Smith, Glenn Robinson's team option, and the 15th pick before the lottery and now that their season is over?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:41 pm
They need a small forward desperately.
TJ Warren, Tyler Johnson, the MIL pick and/or the Suns 2020 1st round pick for Blake Griffin.

Who says no?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Detroit.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:02 am
They should fine such things, and why not make a rule which give a flagrant to someone acting like that?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:30 pm
Detroit.
For sure. He's been great for them (DET fans were chanting MVP, mind you). Our chance was when the Clippers decided to move him, but I am not sure PHX had the kind of assets Jerry West wanted, at least without a third team.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

rhylek wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:48 am
Superbone wrote:
They should fine such things, and why not make a rule which give a flagrant to someone acting like that?
That's why they added the flopping rules a few years back. If this doesn't make their list you can just shitcan the rule.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:51 am
rhylek wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:48 am
Superbone wrote:
That's why they added the flopping rules a few years back. If this doesn't make their list you can just s*** the rule.
I think I heard somewhere that the last player fined for flopping was Smart, about 3 years ago. He was fined 5000$. That's nowhere near enough.

There are probably not many examples where a player is caught flopping beyond any doubt. When players are selling contact, it's hard to really know how much was the sell and how much was the contact. But when shit like this is caught on tape when there is clearly no contact between the players, I think the punishment should be brutal. Suspend the player for 5 games without pay the first time he does it and double it every subsequent time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm all for a strong punishment. But 5 games, then doubling, etc., would be out of whack with what the league hands out for other infractions such as actually shoving / hitting another player.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:02 am
I'm all for a strong punishment. But 5 games, then doubling, etc., would be out of whack with what the league hands out for other infractions such as actually shoving / hitting another player.
I find shoving / hitting much more forgivable. Games are physical and often emotional. Under those circumstances I think it's understandable that players can lose control. I don't think flopping happens when a player is out of control, it's deliberate.

I think it's also a bigger problem in the NBA right now than player fights. I also hate it with a passion :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:20 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I find shoving / hitting much more forgivable. Games are physical and often emotional. Under those circumstances I think it's understandable that players can lose control. I don't think flopping happens when a player is out of control, it's deliberate.

I think it's also a bigger problem in the NBA right now than player fights. I also hate it with a passion :)
I would support it like a Flagrant 2 during the game, or a single game suspension if it is found afterwards. The problem is equally applying this. It is completely a judgement call.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ehh, just give them a tech

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:24 am
Hermen wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:20 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

I would support it like a Flagrant 2 during the game, or a single game suspension if it is found afterwards. The problem is equally applying this. It is completely a judgement call.
That's why I only meant it for the obvious cases where replays show there was no contact in the first place.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Give them the flagrant or tech, but make it possible to assess it later after the game if we find a replay as blatant as this one.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I think absolutely suspension is warranted. It’s a complete acting job. It’s pathetic and childish. It’s one thing to sell a foul. It’s another to completely just pretend like you got hit when you weren’t touched. Toss him and suspend him a game.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Am I missing something? I don't see how you can tell from either of those two angles whether there was contact. And the contact could have occurred right before that clip starts.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:37 pm
Am I missing something? I don't see how you can tell from either of those two angles whether there was contact. And the contact could have occurred right before that clip starts.
In this case, appears you are correct. Bad angle intentionally to get a rise out of people. It is well known how badly Paul and Harden fake contact though with repeated flamboyant flops through the years.

[tweet][/tweet]

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

How does Dame sit down with balls that big?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

He's so good.

Watching these players shine in the playoffs makes me sad for Booker. He should have had a moment by now.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TJ Warren for Jerami Grant?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Watching that last play I was like "PG better press up cuz Dame gonna pull from....GAME OVER!!!"

So good, so easy to root for. Probably my favorite player in the league.