Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm kind of glad, to be honest. I think there's a strong chance that Igor would have lost the team by the all star break.

I haven't been bitching about Igor a lot, because I haven't been porting a lot, because it doesn't make me happy to point out how bad the Suns are. But the Suns never understood the offense or the defense under Igor, and I think the culture was shit until Crawford came along and Book got healthy. We were significantly worse than last season, and on paper the roster should have been a lot better.

Crawford is the dark-horse candidate to coach the team.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:17 am
Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:04 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:39 pm
He probably expected that the team would easily win more than 29 games.

Nah. Nobody could have expected that.
I'm assuming you meant to type "19" because 29 would have led to a parade down Central Avenue.
Most of us picked the team to win 30 or more in the preseason poll.

Cap

Post by Cap »

The Bobster wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I'm assuming you meant to type "19" because 29 would have led to a parade down Central Avenue.
Superbone placed a bet on the Suns winning more than 29 games. Said it was a sure thing. I’ve been ribbing him about it all season.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Its frustrating how much of a punchline the franchise has become. Super rough to keep following.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:48 am
There may come a day, Mori, where you have to become our Jim Jones and we just collectively Jonestown our Suns fandom. At least until Sarver sells. It would be so cathartic.
I wouldn't do that. :-) But I feel like the more years the Suns are bad, the more reason I have to morph into a general NBA fan and less of a Suns fan. I'll watch whatever is the best game of the night (Bucks, Warriors, Rockets, etc.) rather than go out of my way to watch the Suns game. It isn't the losing, it's the sinking feeling that they don't have any plan or any people up top who can actually make things better. They'll never dig out of this if they have these idiots running the show.

We might literally never make the playoffs again under Sarver.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 am
Shabazz wrote:
There may come a day, Mori, where you have to become our Jim Jones and we just collectively Jonestown our Suns fandom. At least until Sarver sells. It would be so cathartic.
I wouldn't do that. :-) But I feel like the more years the Suns are bad, the more reason I have to morph into a general NBA fan and less of a Suns fan. I'll watch whatever is the best game of the night (Bucks, Warriors, Rockets, etc.) rather than go out of my way to watch the Suns game. It isn't the losing, it's the sinking feeling that they don't have any plan or any people up top who can actually make things better. They'll never dig out of this if they have these idiots running the show.

If you count the signing of Nash as a "Jerry" deal, we have yet to make the playoffs since that deal ended. He got a lot of good will in his first few years for having a winning team and multiple MVPs, and that probably made him think he knew what he was doing. That really damned the franchise.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:37 am
The Bobster wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Superbone placed a bet on the Suns winning more than 29 games. Said it was a sure thing. I’ve been ribbing him about it all season.
I said Josh Jackson would be better than KP!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:22 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 am
Shabazz wrote:

If you count the signing of Nash as a "Jerry" deal, we have yet to make the playoffs since that deal ended. He got a lot of good will in his first few years for having a winning team and multiple MVPs, and that probably made him think he knew what he was doing. That really damned the franchise.
Yet here we are and he still hasn't learned a thing from all the mistakes he's made as an owner.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Becky Hammon? She's my dark horse.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Suns request permission to interview Monty Williams and David Vanterpool (?)

https://www.philly.com/sixers/monty-wil ... 90423.html

jonh

Post by jonh »

My guess is Sarver goes for someone with experience and a mediocre record. It matches the "lessons learned" of not hiring new/inexperienced people.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 am
She would be awesome, but if I was her, there's no way I'd try to be the first female coach under Sarver. He would just set her up for failure...

I actually liked Igor; sure, I thought our offense could be a lot better and we could have utilized Ayton way more, but the development defensively of this team was really coming along I thought.

What a mess. I can't wait till Sarver isn't the owner anymore.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:38 am
She is way too smart to work for him, especially after all of the Pop talk. He is setting her up to replace him in San Antonio.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:30 am
Cap wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Well, Josh did score more points, grab more rebounds, and get more assists than KP last year.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

This is disappointing news, not because of who got fired, but because of the timing and the amount of coaches we have had recently. The Suns appear to be in total disarray.

I’m not really disappointed Igor is gone. He never defended his young team. We watched(and complained) time and again as the Suns got screwed by the refs and he did nothing but stand there. He never showed emotion while leading a team that’s young and runs on emotion.

He also cost Ayton the rookie of the year. He totally misused him and did nothing to fix it. Ayton is not a 3 point shooter yet every play he was out there setting screens for the pick and roll 4 feet outside the 3 point line. Ayton is a post player, treat him like that. Post him up. Having him outside the the arc minimized his impact and kept him out of position to gobble up rebounds. I talked before about how Ayton should NEVER be inbounding the ball after a made basket. He needs to be down the court setting up, not being made to come back under the basket and the running the entire length of the court every time the opposition scores. No wonder he was worn out at seasons end. He’s a 7 foot center, not a small forward that runs like a gazelle or a guard that rarely ventures under the basket.

I fully expected the Suns to win more than 19 games this year. Hopefully they hire a coach that will use our best assets correctly.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Biggest issue I had with Igor was that he wasn’t able to give the young guys any confidence. It felt like that was all Oubre once he got here. Pretty much everyone besides Booker kept playing as if they were constantly afraid to make a mistake. That’s the one thing Watson was good at, too bad he was the worst at everything else.

My vote is for Joerger. To me at least, seems like all his teams have overachieved.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:30 am
Cap wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:

This year, he was!

Split T

Post by Split T »

MightyMoog wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:16 am
Biggest issue I had with Igor was that he wasn’t able to give the young guys any confidence. It felt like that was all Oubre once he got here. Pretty much everyone besides Booker kept playing as if they were constantly afraid to make a mistake. That’s the one thing Watson was good at, too bad he was the worst at everything else.

My vote is for Joerger. To me at least, seems like all his teams have overachieved.
He’d be an absolute disaster dealing with Sarver

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Joeger seems toxic. I don't think he's on the list.

Gambo saying we want more development and less of a tactician as our coach. I'm just at a loss for words.