Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
BigLewy

Re: Suns fire Head Coach Igor Kokoskov

Post by BigLewy »

At this point, the only hope for this franchise is for something Sterling-esque to come out about Sarver that forces the league's hand. This is out of control. And there is NO WAY we get a top 3 pick this year.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cap wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:12 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:09 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:53 pm

You fire the head coach, you gotta remove the staff too. Let the new coach bring in his own staff.
Do you really fire the trainers and analysts too? WTF?
I was talking about coaching staff
Yeah, agreed if you fire the HC you fire his assistants. It was just really weird to see that we fired training staff and analysts, especially considering we haven't replaced the scouting staff we fired when Ryan was canned.
It’s the most Sterlingesque thing I’ve seen since Sterling.
Now we just need to have some hooker record Sarver making some racist comments and we'll be in business.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:09 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:53 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:27 pm
All of them? Just gone? Not a single person on the staff was deemed to have done a good job?
You fire the head coach, you gotta remove the staff too. Let the new coach bring in his own staff.
Do you really fire the trainers and analysts too? WTF?
I was talking about coaching staff
Yeah, agreed if you fire the HC you fire his assistants. It was just really weird to see that we fired training staff and analysts, especially considering we haven't replaced the scouting staff we fired when Ryan was canned.
I didn’t realize we fired so many

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It [the Suns] went from being a destination to being a last stop.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Singh

Post by Singh »

I think we should just let sarver coach the team. Maybe he will fire himself

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Singh wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:47 pm
I think we should just let sarver coach the team. Maybe he will fire himself
That's some out of the box thinking right there. I like it.
"Be Legendary."

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

About Vanterpool, he won the Euroleague with CSKA Moskow as a player. His coach at that time was Ettore Messina who now is an assistant with the Spurs. He played in Russia around the same time Melvin Booker also played in the russian league, but with a different team. They might know each other or even be friends, just speculation on my part.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Was Sarver running around the office like Oprah: you’re fired, and you’re fired and you’re fired...

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:50 pm
Was Sarver running around the office like Oprah: you’re fired, and you’re fired and you’re fired...
Maybe he just put a goat in each cubicle with a note on it...
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

jonh

Post by jonh »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:50 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:50 pm
Maybe he just put a goat in each cubicle with a note on it...
Not after firing everyone—Sarver would never put himself in a position where he would have to clean up the shit he’s caused.

Indy

Post by Indy »

this thread would be funny if it weren't so sad

SDC

Post by SDC »

billy donovan?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would prefer to see us go after Joerger; his teams always seem to overachieve and get the most out of what they have. But I think I agree with folks who say that Saver will never go for a willful veteran coach like that. My guess is we end up with Vanterpool, but, ugh. So mediocre. Why do we think we will succeed with these no-name bozos who have never done the job?

I would prefer Joerger, or if we want to be outside the box, maybe Becky Hammon. Despite the dumpster fire that is this franchise, it would make me proud to have the first female head coach. But there's no way Sarver would hire a woman. Given his political leanings there's no way he thinks of women as equals to men or would put one in a leadership position. And there's no way Hammon is dumb enough to walk into a situation as toxic as ours.

SDC

Post by SDC »

becky hammon s a russian agent.

pitino is dying to get back to the nba. only a team like phx might take a chance on him.
Last edited by SDC on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

1 Jul 2008 · LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In many ways, Becky Hammon feels playing basketball for Russia and not the United States is the most “American” thing she has ever done.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I honestly don't know who the next coach should be. All the names, Monty, Vanterpool, Hammons, and Pitino are all interesting.

Vanterpool will hold guys accountable and has been doing a great job developing the guys on Portland. Idk what type of coach he will end up being, but Stotts has been pretty good over the years.

Pitino is a great coach, but the stuff he's been involved with have taken the shine off his star.

Hammons has gotten a ton of cred from the Spurs and did a great job at summer league, this would definitely be a very progressive hire, but would she be embraced by the young players?

Monty has a lot of respect around the league by both coaches and players, but didn't exactly light the league on fire.

Joerger would be a disaster with how abrasive he is to mgmt. Good coach, but is a bit of loose cannon.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

This is dreadful. Defense Against the dark Arts teachers last longer than Suns head coaches, and are replaced about as often. Seriously though, five coaches in five years is a sign of an organization that doesn't know WTF it is doing. Igor wasn't a great coach, but it was his first year and with a God-awful roster that lacked a single decent PG or PF. And by decent, I mean "better than a G-League starter".

Now, heading into a draft where there's about a 75% chance we will land a pick we have no intention of keeping (beyond Zion and Ja, there's the injured PG Darius Garland and about 5 SG/SFs that we neither need nor want), we have fired our entire scouting and coaching staff. No cap flexibility, poorly constructed roster, $20M tied up in a guy who is neither a PG, nor any good at the position he normally plays (Johnson), and no staff to speak of to make a team that had the worst record in the league two years running, and is getting WORSE.

The only way the Suns improve is if Sarver sells, or if Silver and the BoD yank the team from him the way they did with Donald Sterling's Clippers. Unfortunately, neither is likely to happen. I suppose the only way to force the former is to ensure that Sarver is screamed at and spit on everywhere he goes in public, including his own arena. Really, we're down to those options because unless the Suns get a second #1 pick in a row, they're not going to improve.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:03 am
Defense Against the dark Arts teachers last longer than Suns head coaches
Made my afternoon.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

From James Jones press conference:

“Our priorities are still the same. We need to add guys in their prime… We will focus on acquiring those guys via all the channels we can.”

“We want a leader. Someone that can relate to our players. Someone that will challenge them.”

James Jones on Igor Kokoskov’s firing: “The decision (on) Igor was mine and mine alone. That’s why it was tough.”

“I thought it was in the best interest of the franchise to go in a different direction…This is my decision. The job that I agreed to is to make decisions for the franchise.”

“That’s my message to the fans,

although we’ve had instability in the past, I’m only focused forward. I’m not concerned with previous regimes or previous teams. The players on this team, this is their team, their future and that’s where my focus is.”
"Be Legendary."