Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by specialsauce »

Seriously.

I’m only interested in clearing cap space at this point if it means we use it. We need NBA level talent. More than anything I want to field an NBA caliber team next year. We don’t have to make the playoffs, but I want us to be closer to the 8th seed than the bottom at least.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Using the cap space won’t be the problem...we’d use it...whether we used it wisely would be the question

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:17 pm
Using the cap space won’t be the problem...we’d use it...whether we used it wisely would be the question
Exactly.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Depends and the goals will be different.

I’d rather max a really good player than use that same money on 3 average players.

It’s the difference of Amare vs. Warwick Turkoglu and childress

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:40 pm
Depends and the goals will be different.

I’d rather max a really good player than use that same money on 3 average players.

It’s the difference of Amare vs. Warwick T******u and C*******s
Who would you go after if we had max cap space?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:29 am
Who would you go after if we had max cap space?
I hear Kevin Durant is a free agent... :-)

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:28 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:20 pm
I'm hoping to see Warren moved this week. I'm hoping for something like:

Warren to Detroit

for

Langston Galloway (stretch and waive his $7.3 mil salary for 19-20 season)
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (waive non-guaranteed 19-20 salary)
#15 pick

----------------

Warren to OKC

for Andre Roberson and #21 (stretch and waive Roberson's last year of his contract)
IF the suns shed his contract for a lousy middling draft pick and don’t use that salary savings to improve the club in trade or FA, I will .....not be surprised one bit at the lack of creativity or desire to actually improve the club.

Those are just awful trades in a shitty draft unless it’s a pure salary dump with future moves on the horizon
Do you think Warren is worth more than a mid-1st and cap relief? Which team values him more than that?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Is Dinwiddie just trolling suns fans?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I sincerely hope not. He seems like the most gettable guy in the league I actually want to see on the team.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:33 am
Is Dinwiddie just trolling suns fans?

At this point, I think he is just having fun with it--if something was seriously in the works, the move would have already been made, or the league/team would have reprimanded him for being unprofessional.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Probably a bad idea but:

Marcus Smart, 14th and 20th for #6, TJ and Melton

I'm biased here because I really like Smart. I know TJ has a lot of value as a scorer but it's more about moving his money to a position of need. I've always liked Smart going back to college. He's 25 but a 6 year vet next year, played on winning teams in big games and would bring an edge defensively. He fits the bill as a combo who can start or come off the bench, offense isn't great but can hit the 3, gets his 4 apg and makes just a bit more than TJ (1.2 mil more/year). We can still go after DLo or another PG but Smart at least gives us added depth we know can play either position. And if we are confident we're getting Dlo, Smart's a great precursor to that and a great fit next to either DLo or Booker.

At 14 we'd have a good shot at guys like NAW, Hachimura, Washington, maybe even Clarke, and 20 take BPA or try and trade it/sell it. Not sure I'd want 3 rookies on the team. And if we move the 20th pick we can save 2 mil for a little more capspace. Salary for the 6th pick is about 4.8mil, 14th pick is about 2.8 and the 20th is 2mil based off last year's numbers. To create the additional space, we can stretch Tyler.

For Boston, the last thing they need is another SF but that's why they get 6. Melton's a throw in they'd probably coach up and get a lot out of as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:44 am
Probably a bad idea but:

Marcus Smart, 14th and 20th for #6, TJ and Melton

I'm biased here because I really like Smart. I know TJ has a lot of value as a scorer but it's more about moving his money to a position of need. I've always liked Smart going back to college. He's 25 but a 6 year vet next year, played on winning teams in big games and would bring an edge defensively. He fits the bill as a combo who can start or come off the bench, offense isn't great but can hit the 3, gets his 4 apg and makes just a bit more than TJ (1.2 mil more/year). We can still go after DLo or another PG but Smart at least gives us added depth we know can play either position. And if we are confident we're getting Dlo, Smart's a great precursor to that and a great fit next to either DLo or Booker.

At 14 we'd have a good shot at guys like NAW, Hachimura, Washington, maybe even Clarke, and 20 take BPA or try and trade it/sell it. Not sure I'd want 3 rookies on the team. And if we move the 20th pick we can save 2 mil for a little more capspace. Salary for the 6th pick is about 4.8mil, 14th pick is about 2.8 and the 20th is 2mil based off last year's numbers. To create the additional space, we can stretch Tyler.

For Boston, the last thing they need is another SF but that's why they get 6. Melton's a throw in they'd probably coach up and get a lot out of as well.
I would do this trade if I knew that Clarke were available at #14. But I worry he won't be. Maybe agree to the deal contingent on Clarke being there? :-)

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think I’d do it...Smart is ok, but I’d want him to shoot better. His defense would be great! It does become more appealing if Clarke is still available at 14.

Smart/Booker/Oubre/Clarke/Ayton is interesting. Kinda need Smart and Clarke to shoot.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:39 am
I don’t think I’d do it...Smart is ok, but I’d want him to shoot better. His defense would be great! It does become more appealing if Clarke is still available at 14.

Smart/Booker/Oubre/Clarke/Ayton is interesting. Kinda need Smart and Clarke to shoot.
Or DLo, Booker, Oubre, Clarke or another rook/FA, Ayton with Smart and Bridges off the bench as a core.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Could you still clear enough cap space for D-Lo? I guess a waive and stretch of Johnson and a dump of Jackson would do it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

From Shams article on the athletic:
The Suns have discussed forwards T.J. Warren and Josh Jackson in several separate trade packages, as well as the No. 6 pick, league sources said.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:

That is an awful lineup. Maybe that would’ve been a good lineup in the 90s with a bruiser style play. We’re in 2019. 4/5 players have to space at the 3.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I wouldn't do it if Smart was the only addition to the backcourt this offseason. Would only be interested if we know we're getting DLo.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:20 am
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:28 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:20 pm
I'm hoping to see Warren moved this week. I'm hoping for something like:

Warren to Detroit

for

Langston Galloway (stretch and waive his $7.3 mil salary for 19-20 season)
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (waive non-guaranteed 19-20 salary)
#15 pick

----------------

Warren to OKC

for Andre Roberson and #21 (stretch and waive Roberson's last year of his contract)
IF the suns shed his contract for a lousy middling draft pick and don’t use that salary savings to improve the club in trade or FA, I will .....not be surprised one bit at the lack of creativity or desire to actually improve the club.

Those are just awful trades in a s*** draft unless it’s a pure salary dump with future moves on the horizon
Do you think Warren is worth more than a mid-1st and cap relief? Which team values him more than that?
I do. I’d like a player of his caliber in return or to use him in a package with draft picks to get an upgrade, like Larry Nance who statistically is not but fit-wise is for us.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:54 am
Split T wrote:

That is an awful lineup. Maybe that would’ve been a good lineup in the 90s with a bruiser style play. We’re in 2019. 4/5 players have to space at the 3.
Awful is a little harsh...it’s better than any lineup we threw out this year. But I agree that spacing is the issue and the reason I don’t do it.