Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: 2019 Off-Season

Post by In2ition »

You're right they probably suck, but they are actual contributing NBA players. Add 4 more and you may have something to build on.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I mostly agree with INF's post. But I also think the quoted author assumes that our rookies won't be good. And we don't know that yet.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:07 pm
This is rough, man, when you look at all those moves together. Those are a lot of assets out, and the return is minimal. I just don't understand how a 19-win team can make moves like that.
McD was criticized because he seemed to understand only the concept of value/assets, but had no skill to deal with people. Jones is looking like he is all personal skill but little idea about how to assess value and manage assets.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:54 pm
INFORMER wrote:
This is rough, man, when you look at all those moves together. Those are a lot of assets out, and the return is minimal. I just don't understand how a 19-win team can make moves like that.
McD was criticized because he seemed to understand only the concept of value/assets, but had no skill to deal with people. Jones is looking like he is all personal skill but little idea about how to assess value and manage assets.
I would rate James Jones as strictly much worse than McDo so far, personally. No way McDo does that "TJ Warren and a pick for cash" trade, not in a million years. Nor does he draft the 27th most desired player in the draft at #11.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:22 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
I would rate James Jones as strictly much worse than McDo so far, personally. No way McDo does that "TJ Warren and a pick for cash" trade, not in a million years. Nor does he draft the 27th most desired player in the draft at #11.
McD would have just selected whoever was mocked highest on nbadraft.net or espn or wherever.

Are there any Suns fans left who are not cynics?

Cap

Post by Cap »

OE32 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:42 am
If there are, they’re not paying attention.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:13 am
OE32 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:42 am
If there are, they’re not paying attention.
:lol: :cry:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
For me they're night and day but I prefer the results of Jones. Every player he has brought in has made a positive impact on the Suns. McD may have made better deals but the resultant players have not meshed well into a cohesive team.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
You can believe and keep saying he was the 27th most desired player, but it's the draft and teams don't give out their big board prior to it. Only blog boys and draft niks do. He was clearly the 47th most desired player, and you can't tell me different, since I saw this by "experts" on the interwebs.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 am
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
For me they're night and day but I prefer the results of Jones. Every player he has brought in has made a positive impact on the Suns. McD may have made better deals but the resultant players have not meshed well into a cohesive team.
Jones is like the 2nd marriage after a dysfunctional 1st marriage, where you want to find someone that is the exact opposite of what your 1st wife was like. Not sure if this is a better direction at all, but it definitely is a different direction.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What are the Suns going to do? They need to do something, because they can't keep rebuilding for the next 5 yrs.

Let's look at the rest of the West to see where they are and where they could be going here in the future.
GSW - They will be down a bit this year, but as soon as Klay comes back, they will be formidable again.
Denver - They aren't getting any weaker, and expect to be better each year in the next 5 yrs.
Portland - They won't be getting any worse, but their position in the West could go down. Nurk is back, CJ and Dame are killers.
Houston - This is their chance to move up, and Morey is smart enough to keep trying to improve. Not going to be rebuilding unless Harden goes down.
Utah - They got better with their trade for Conley. They are still in their prime and their main offensive threat is still only around 23. Don't expect them to be rebuilding any time soon with Mitchell and Gobert.
OKC - Having Westbrook, George and Adams keeps them in the mix. Presti keeps trying to tinker to improve, not tear down and rebuild.
San Antonio - They never rebuild and having LA, Rozen and healthy guards back, they aren't looking to rebuild either. They always get the most out of less on the edges.
Clippers - They have really nice young pieces, great bench guys and 2 max cap spaces to improve this summer. West is a legend and Rivers is a good coach with the right guys. Don't expect them to tank or rebuild any time soon and should get better and better.
Sacramento - Full of good young players that should get better and better. Have a ton of cap space and might be looking to steal Oubre away from the Suns. I believe they have room for 1 or 2 max players, although I doubt they get any. They will also keep improving and have no incentive to tank or lose.
Lakers - They have 2 of the top 6 players in the league and looks like they may be adding Kawhi, so expect them to be the top dog for a long time going forward.
Timberwolves - KAT and not a ton else, but they aren't trying to lose either. Will be tough just with him, but I don't expect them to making noise with Wiggins salary keeping them down and not living up to that number.
Grizzlies - Probably tanking to keep their own pick this year and slowly building, but not trying to tank. The trio of JJJ, Morant and Clarke is near perfect compliments to each other on paper. We'll see how it translates, but should be fun to watch.
Pelicans - Going to be one of the best young teams in the league and super fun to watch. Won't be tanking and will compete every game and trying to rise and prove themselves. Jrue, Zo, Zion should be fun and may league the league in pace.
Mavericks - Should be much improved, and it's possible that they add Horford and Kemba if Kristaps just holds off signing his extension to get those guys brought in. Not sure it happens...but even if they only get Horford, and add him to a healthy Kristaps and Luka, this is going to be an outstanding team for years to come.
Phoenix - Terrible year last year, finishing 14 games behind the 14 placed team in the West. They have some nice young players to build on, and improved their roster balance. Should improve greatly in the W/L standings, but need to make huge improvements to their talent to keep from falling behind for the foreseeable future with the rest of the West. One of the only ways that they could compete is either to get insanely lucky or go out and take chances to add talent along with building a culture of winning(Monty & Jones). Drafting and trading for shooters should greatly help spacing on the court and help both Ayton and Booker. Need to improve and move to improve before Booker gets frustrated enough to ask for a trade. Keeping flexibility, building with the youthful(but not too young) core could put them in a place to trade for a player like KAT to add to the team. Should try to get that 3rd piece in a PG like DLo to keep things interesting along with promising young guys all around 23 in Bridges, Cam Johnson and Oubre(Restricted FA, but a priority to resign).

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think they’ve kinda done a lot lately. Saric/Baynes/Experienced Rookies/Monty. Oubre and a FA pg to come. A 3rd star would be nice, but that’s not the only way to improve. Count me in the group that thinks just not having to play bad nba players will go a long ways.

Split T

Post by Split T »

No need to worry about Kings poaching Oubre

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Wow. Huge overpay.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:56 am
What are the Suns going to do? They need to do something, because they can't keep rebuilding for the next 5 yrs.

Let's look at the rest of the West to see where they are and where they could be going here in the future.
GSW - They will be down a bit this year, but as soon as Klay comes back, they will be formidable again.
Denver - They aren't getting any weaker, and expect to be better each year in the next 5 yrs.
Portland - They won't be getting any worse, but their position in the West could go down. Nurk is back, CJ and Dame are killers.
Houston - This is their chance to move up, and Morey is smart enough to keep trying to improve. Not going to be rebuilding unless Harden goes down.
Utah - They got better with their trade for Conley. They are still in their prime and their main offensive threat is still only around 23. Don't expect them to be rebuilding any time soon with Mitchell and Gobert.
OKC - Having Westbrook, George and Adams keeps them in the mix. Presti keeps trying to tinker to improve, not tear down and rebuild.
San Antonio - They never rebuild and having LA, Rozen and healthy guards back, they aren't looking to rebuild either. They always get the most out of less on the edges.
Clippers - They have really nice young pieces, great bench guys and 2 max cap spaces to improve this summer. West is a legend and Rivers is a good coach with the right guys. Don't expect them to tank or rebuild any time soon and should get better and better.
Sacramento - Full of good young players that should get better and better. Have a ton of cap space and might be looking to steal Oubre away from the Suns. I believe they have room for 1 or 2 max players, although I doubt they get any. They will also keep improving and have no incentive to tank or lose.
Lakers - They have 2 of the top 6 players in the league and looks like they may be adding Kawhi, so expect them to be the top dog for a long time going forward.
Timberwolves - KAT and not a ton else, but they aren't trying to lose either. Will be tough just with him, but I don't expect them to making noise with Wiggins salary keeping them down and not living up to that number.
Grizzlies - Probably tanking to keep their own pick this year and slowly building, but not trying to tank. The trio of JJJ, Morant and Clarke is near perfect compliments to each other on paper. We'll see how it translates, but should be fun to watch.
Pelicans - Going to be one of the best young teams in the league and super fun to watch. Won't be tanking and will compete every game and trying to rise and prove themselves. Jrue, Zo, Zion should be fun and may league the league in pace.
Mavericks - Should be much improved, and it's possible that they add Horford and Kemba if Kristaps just holds off signing his extension to get those guys brought in. Not sure it happens...but even if they only get Horford, and add him to a healthy Kristaps and Luka, this is going to be an outstanding team for years to come.
Phoenix - Terrible year last year, finishing 14 games behind the 14 placed team in the West. They have some nice young players to build on, and improved their roster balance. Should improve greatly in the W/L standings, but need to make huge improvements to their talent to keep from falling behind for the foreseeable future with the rest of the West. One of the only ways that they could compete is either to get insanely lucky or go out and take chances to add talent along with building a culture of winning(Monty & Jones). Drafting and trading for shooters should greatly help spacing on the court and help both Ayton and Booker. Need to improve and move to improve before Booker gets frustrated enough to ask for a trade. Keeping flexibility, building with the youthful(but not too young) core could put them in a place to trade for a player like KAT to add to the team. Should try to get that 3rd piece in a PG like DLo to keep things interesting along with promising young guys all around 23 in Bridges, Cam Johnson and Oubre(Restricted FA, but a priority to resign).
Unless they shock the world and go after someone we didn’t see coming, for me it’s rather DLo, Brogdon, or the cherry on top of a disappointing offseason.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:34 am
Wow. Huge overpay.
Well he didn’t opt out of 25 million to take much less. I don’t know their exact cap situation but this probably clears 6 million for them. I still think they might be the landing spot for Horford. A Fox/Hield/Barnes/Bagley/Horford lineup is pretty nice

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:01 am
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:34 am
Wow. Huge overpay.
Well he didn’t opt out of 25 million to take much less. I don’t know their exact cap situation but this probably clears 6 million for them. I still think they might be the landing spot for Horford. A Fox/Hield/Barnes/Bagley/Horford lineup is pretty nice
That's a good call too. Hopefully this takes Sac off the potential suitor list to pry away Oubre.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Can't believe the Kings gave Barnes that contract.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Does that Barnes deal change the expected salary range for Oubre? I'm worried that he'll get bidded up until we can't / don't want to afford him. That deal is a ton of money for Barnes, a strictly worse and less desirable player than Oubre.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

[tweet][/tweet]