2019 NBA Playoffs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: 2019 NBA Playoffs

Post by Indy »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 am
Boy, to watch Draymon Greene and realize we had a similar player in Boris makes me sad.
They can really pass. Other than that, I don't see any similarities. I never saw fire in Boris. Also, did I miss him being a 1st team all-defense?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think their skillsets were similar but they were polar opposites in terms of attitude and mentality. Boris was a really good defender in the post and could defend on the perimeter before he put on the weight. Different kind of physicality tho.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 am
I think their skillsets were similar but they were polar opposites in terms of attitude and mentality. Boris was a really good defender in the post and could defend on the perimeter before he put on the weight. Different kind of physicality tho.
He had great footwork, but I don't remember him ever taking it personal and shutting someone down. Or even playing like a middle line backer the way Green does. He just wasn't wired that way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:30 am
da_suns_fan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 am
Boy, to watch Draymon Greene and realize we had a similar player in Boris makes me sad.
They can really pass. Other than that, I don't see any similarities. I never saw fire in Boris. Also, did I miss him being a 1st team all-defense?
Right. Diaw was much more laissez-faire. (Excuse my French.)
"Be Legendary."

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 am
Agree on all points.

VERY similar skill set. Very different attitude.

Greene plays with such intensity. Such passion.

Theres only been a handful of power forwards who could pass like Draymond Greene over the last ten years:

https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players?s ... s%5B%5D=PF

One of them was Boris Diaw:

https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/players?s ... eason=2005

I just wonder if they could really focused on having him push up the ball when Nash was on bench. The Suns really didnt know how to use both Amare and Diaw.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Further, it seemed like Suns were so determined to having a "backup pg" to Nash. At best, they would have been able to have a lesser version of Nash.

Now switching to an offense focused on Diaw when Nash was sitting would have been completely different and would have put more pressure on opposing defense (in theory).

IDK....just seems like missed opportunity.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That's one of the reasons Kerr and MikeD didn't see eye to eye. Kerr wanted Mike to run more offense through Boris. I feel like Steve Kerr is using Dremond the way he thought Mike should use Boris.

I will say that we had 2 problems with running the offense through Boris:
1. We couldn't get him an entry pass when Nash was on the bench. Boris would establish himself, But Leandro and Raja would wait for him to come back up over the 3pt line to get him the ball.
2. Boris could really only dribble with his right hand, so he couldn't really break down an established defender.

And I think Boris was one of our best defenders. He just wasn't as talented as Dremond on either end of the court. A little worse on offense and a little worse on defense.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think he was way better than Dray on offense. But again, the difference was in their attitude. Draymond is a dog out there. Boris invented passing up the wide open layup to kick it out to the 3pt line.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:12 pm
That's one of the reasons Kerr and MikeD didn't see eye to eye. Kerr wanted Mike to run more offense through Boris. I feel like Steve Kerr is using Dremond the way he thought Mike should use Boris.

I will say that we had 2 problems with running the offense through Boris:
1. We couldn't get him an entry pass when Nash was on the bench. Boris would establish himself, But Leandro and Raja would wait for him to come back up over the 3pt line to get him the ball.
2. Boris could really only dribble with his right hand, so he couldn't really break down an established defender.

And I think Boris was one of our best defenders. He just wasn't as talented as Dremond on either end of the court. A little worse on offense and a little worse on defense.
I dont remember that. I just remember Kerr suggesting they run more of Amare in the post and D'Antoni flipping out on him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Heh. They kept saying that was the worst thing that could happen to Bledsoe that he made his first 3 point shot attempt. He then continued his bad shooting. Huge win by the Raptors who now have won 3 in a row and ride that momentum into Toronto for the potential close out game.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's amazing how quickly things turn in the playoffs. Game by game, day by day. Less than a week ago the Bucks were the next dynasty and Giannis was the best player in the world.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:54 am
It's amazing how quickly things turn in the playoffs. Game by game, day by day. Less than a week ago the Bucks were the next dynasty and Giannis was the best player in the world.
He is on his way.

Am I crazy to still think this series goes to 7 games?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:03 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:54 am
He is on his way.

Am I crazy to still think this series goes to 7 games?
Of course not. These two teams are very close in ability. It can go either way for sure but I'm hoping the Raptors finish them off in 6.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm rooting Raptors in this series, but I'll be surprised if Giannis has fewer than 40 points in the next game. Toronto had better be ready.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am
I'm rooting Raptors in this series, but I'll be surprised if Giannis has fewer than 40 points in the next game. Toronto had better be ready.
Why is Bud not reacting to high-school lever zone defense? It seems crazy to me to see it over and over again. At one point last night, Giannis drove into the lane with 4 guys standing at the free throw line extended. He waited until he ran into them before trying to give the ball. Seems like a very bad strategy.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Why is Bud not reacting to high-school lever zone defense? It seems crazy to me to see it over and over again. At one point last night, Giannis drove into the lane with 4 guys standing at the free throw line extended. He waited until he ran into them before trying to give the ball. Seems like a very bad strategy.
I think that's Giannis not recognizing the situation. He's still fairly young, so I think we will see that adjustment over time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
I don't know. Without an outside shot, he can be stopped. "The Wall" has been quite effective. If they were to make it out of the round, the Warriors will handle him even better. The other guys have to step up.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Bucks have a lot of "B+" supporting pieces. Nice players, but not guys you'd want in crunchtime taking difficult shots with a game on the line. I like Middleton and Lopez and Brogdon, and Freak obviously. Hill is decent. But a lot of their other guys I would be scared to play, like Bledsoe etc. Seems like their best way to win is to shorten the rotation to guys they can trust.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bledsoe is fine if he sticks to his role...taking big shots should not be part of that. Middleton only had 6 points last night...don’t imagine that will happen again.

Simmons suggested starting Hill, Brogdon, Middleton, Giannis, Lopez. Only use Bledsoe and Connaughton off the bench...and just to give short breaks. Said Giannis should play all 48.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:55 pm
Bledsoe is fine if he sticks to his role...taking big shots should not be part of that. Middleton only had 6 points last night...don’t imagine that will happen again.

Simmons suggested starting Hill, Brogdon, Middleton, Giannis, Lopez. Only use Bledsoe and Connaughton off the bench...and just to give short breaks. Said Giannis should play all 48.
Bledsoe is a liability in the playoffs for them. He would be great if he hits shots. He can’t consistently. I love his passion but never developing a good pull up or 3 pt shot is why the Bucks will need to move him. Guaranteed he olays for at least 4 other teams in the NBA before his career is over.