Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Hermen

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by Hermen »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:31 am
Split T wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:03 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:27 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:00 pm

I am sure they want to re-sign him, but...

They have 95M on the books for next year for only 9 guys (assuming Middleton opts out). Here are their big FAs.

Lopez has been HUGE for them in the playoffs. I assume they see him as a big part of their team, and will try and re-sign him. With his complete change in his game, I assume he can get at least a 2yr/20M contract.

Middleton they have to keep. He was an all-star this year and does a bit of everything for them. Is that a 15M/year deal, or more? He is slated to make 13M next year, but has a player option. I think he has to exercise it and cash in with a long-term contract.

Mirotic hasn't been there long, so I can see them letting him sign some where else.

Brogdon: You already talked about his positives, but the did already give Bledsoe an extension at around 17M/year, and Brogdon plays a combo 1/2 and they might not have enough the appetite to pay him with the other guys above needing a contract too. If they spend the 25/year on those two guys above, they are back to 110M, not counting for any other signings. do they go up to 125-130M just to sign him?

I would go after him at midnight if you have any indication he might sign.
George Hill isn’t guaranteed, so that clears 17 million. Puts them around 75 million
Is this wrong? https://www.spotrac.com/nba/milwaukee-bucks/cap/2019/

It shows Hill as non-guaranteed, but also shows them with a practical cap space of only 5M, with 135M in cap allocations.
Hill’s 18 million and Middleton’s player option are counting towards that 100 million in salary. Take those off...add the dead money and they’re a little over 70 million committed. So they’ve got 60ish million of room before they hit the luxury tax. Should get them Brogdon/Middleton/Lopez no problem. Mirotic could move on.
They’re about to become a death squad with Brogdon, Bledsoe, Middleton, Giannis, and Lopez. I’d trade the 6th and Warren on a sign and trade. I just don’t see them letting him go, knowing that they can dominate the league probably starting next year. If i were the bucks id be looking for a way to get dump Bledsoe and add any pg with a pulse who has range.
Mirotic would be a good addition for us to give Ayton needed space at the 4 spot.
Let me ask this, they offer Brogdon for our 6th and Bridges, warren on a sign and trade would you pull the trigger?
I like Brogdon but that's insane to me. Paying him what he will get in the summer is a high enough cost to the team IMO. I'd maybe give TJ to the Bucks to make them not match, but the pick in Bridges are no-go.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Let me ask this, they offer Brogdon for our 6th and Bridges, warren on a sign and trade would you pull the trigger?
No way. I make moves to give myself max cap room and dare them to match a contract starting at $27M. Or simply look somewhere else, like George Hill or Collison.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

27mil for Brogdon?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:00 pm

I am sure they want to re-sign him, but...

They have 95M on the books for next year for only 9 guys (assuming Middleton opts out). Here are their big FAs.

Lopez has been HUGE for them in the playoffs. I assume they see him as a big part of their team, and will try and re-sign him. With his complete change in his game, I assume he can get at least a 2yr/20M contract.

Middleton they have to keep. He was an all-star this year and does a bit of everything for them. Is that a 15M/year deal, or more? He is slated to make 13M next year, but has a player option. I think he has to exercise it and cash in with a long-term contract.

Mirotic hasn't been there long, so I can see them letting him sign some where else.

Brogdon: You already talked about his positives, but the did already give Bledsoe an extension at around 17M/year, and Brogdon plays a combo 1/2 and they might not have enough the appetite to pay him with the other guys above needing a contract too. If they spend the 25/year on those two guys above, they are back to 110M, not counting for any other signings. do they go up to 125-130M just to sign him?

I would go after him at midnight if you have any indication he might sign.
George Hill isn’t guaranteed, so that clears 17 million. Puts them around 75 million

It shows Hill as non-guaranteed, but also shows them with a practical cap space of only 5M, with 135M in cap allocations.
Hill’s 18 million and Middleton’s player option are counting towards that 100 million in salary. Take those off...add the dead money and they’re a little over 70 million committed. So they’ve got 60ish million of room before they hit the luxury tax. Should get them Brogdon/Middleton/Lopez no problem. Mirotic could move on.
They’re about to become a death squad with Brogdon, Bledsoe, Middleton, Giannis, and Lopez. I’d trade the 6th and Warren on a sign and trade. I just don’t see them letting him go, knowing that they can dominate the league probably starting next year. If i were the bucks id be looking for a way to get dump Bledsoe and add any pg with a pulse who has range.
Mirotic would be a good addition for us to give Ayton needed space at the 4 spot.
I'm not taking Bledsoe back, but would you do Tyler Johnson for George Hill + a pick?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:24 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:

I'm not taking Bledsoe back, but would you do Tyler Johnson for George Hill + a pick?
Not if it is #6. And I can't see them doing it because Hill's contract is only guaranteed for like a million next year. (but turns into the full 18M if not waived by July this year)

Indy

Post by Indy »

But I do see Hill as an upgrade over TJ.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Wow. I meant that they include the pick, not us. I think Tyler is a big upgrade over George at this stage in their careers. If the Bucks need a PG who can defend, shoot, and not get in the way, TJ can do that on an expiring contract.

But I agree that they probably don't do that. I'd think they could find better use for the money by waiving Hill.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:33 am
27mil for Brogdon?
Yeah, that's too much for a role player.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:52 am
Wow. I meant that they include the pick, not us. I think Tyler is a big upgrade over George at this stage in their careers. If the Bucks need a PG who can defend, shoot, and not get in the way, TJ can do that on an expiring contract.

But I agree that they probably don't do that. I'd think they could find better use for the money by waiving Hill.
I think Hill is a better defender than Tyler, and better 3P shooter too (although this year his numbers took a big dip). I think he is a better floor general too. But I don't see him playing more than 20-25 minutes a game. And I am a bit worried that his age is catching up with him. Tyler has a much longer timeline to be good.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:05 am
ShelC wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:33 am
27mil for Brogdon?
Yeah, that's too much for a role player.
He would be the 2nd best player on the team. I don't see him as a role player.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

On this team? Nah, he'd be behind Booker and Ayton and right in line with Bridges and Oubre. I really like Brogdon, who seems as solid as they come, but no way am I paying him 27mil.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’d give him 20M easy

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd do a sign and trade and swap him for Tyler. That 18-20mil range is fine.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

The Bucks aren't taking back any dead money.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Tyler wouldn’t be dead money...they could use him. He’s overpaid for sure, but he also expires after 1 year.

I think it’s all pointless though, I think Milwaukee will be willing to pay Brogdon 18-20 million. He’s really great there and a great piece alongside Giannis.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea it's wishful thinking most likely.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:28 am
On this team? Nah, he'd be behind Booker and Ayton and right in line with Bridges and Oubre. I really like Brogdon, who seems as solid as they come, but no way am I paying him 27mil.
Ayton doesn't impact the game as much as Brogdon does, especially playing point for us. Maybe Ayton will make a huge leap, though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If Monty gets him touches the way AD gets touches, he'll be a lot more impactful. There are not many guys in the league who could hold Ayton off in the post, and that was as a rookie.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:55 pm
If Monty gets him touches the way AD gets touches, he'll be a lot more impactful. There are not many guys in the league who could hold Ayton off in the post, and that was as a rookie.
BUT, it was funny/sad how you could predict every night that the opposing center or PF would have a career game. If it were a drinking game we would all be dead.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:05 pm
ShelC wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:55 pm
BUT, it was funny/sad how you could predict every night that the opposing center or PF would have a career game. If it were a drinking game we would all be dead.
That's my biggest gripe with Ayton. He talks a big game in the locker room, but he shows the toughness of a daisy on the court. I'll give him a pass as a rookie with the turmoil of last season, but if that stuff continues much longer.. I'll be advocating to trade him before he's up for his rookie extension when his value will be at it's peak.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.