Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by ShelC »

Anyone catch Magic's interview today on First Take? It was a doozy...he went in on everyone in the org. And on the day the Lakers introduced Frank Vogel too...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Backstabbing ousted Laker legend Magic Johnson. Love it!
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I wonder what Paul Westhead would say about this?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:57 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:39 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:37 am
Zion buys them time...just get the best offer you can to build around Zion. They don’t need to win 50 games next year. Just show promise and let that team grow around Zion. He’s locked up for 8-9 years essentially. Just do it right this time and don’t make stupid decisions to chase wins.
I think it's naive to even say he's "essentially" locked up for 8-9 years. Looking at the recent history of the top players in the league, New Orleans should feel lucky if they have Zion when he's at the peak of his prime.

I also don't understand this narrative of stupid decisions by the Pelicans front office. They certainly weren't perfect (Solomon Hill), but their biggest move(s) weren't stupid. IIRC, Cousins and AD were playing pretty damn well together right up to the point that Cousins suffered a completely unpredictable injury. Most people thought the Randle and Mirotic moves would work out better, and maybe they would have if AD (and Klutch) didn't sabotage their entire season in January.
No one turns down the rookie max extension.
I wouldn't bank on that if I were the Pelicans. And he could still force his way out even if he signs the max extension with them.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:And he could still force his way out even if he signs the max extension with them.
Just like AD is doing now...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:41 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Zion buys them time...just get the best offer you can to build around Zion. They don’t need to win 50 games next year. Just show promise and let that team grow around Zion. He’s locked up for 8-9 years essentially. Just do it right this time and don’t make stupid decisions to chase wins.
I think it's naive to even say he's "essentially" locked up for 8-9 years. Looking at the recent history of the top players in the league, New Orleans should feel lucky if they have Zion when he's at the peak of his prime.

I also don't understand this narrative of stupid decisions by the Pelicans front office. They certainly weren't perfect (Solomon Hill), but their biggest move(s) weren't stupid. IIRC, Cousins and AD were playing pretty damn well together right up to the point that Cousins suffered a completely unpredictable injury. Most people thought the Randle and Mirotic moves would work out better, and maybe they would have if AD (and Klutch) didn't sabotage their entire season in January.
I wouldn't bank on that if I were the Pelicans. And he could still force his way out even if he signs the max extension with them.
I don’t understand what you’re suggesting...they should trade Zion now because he might force his way out in 5 years?

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:42 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:And he could still force his way out even if he signs the max extension with them.
Just like AD is doing now...
Right, after 7 years there. If they can’t build something around him in 7 years, he should leave.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:38 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:

I don’t understand what you’re suggesting...they should trade Zion now because he might force his way out in 5 years?
That is next level planning.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:35 am

Would anyone take Frank for #32?
I would still trade for him, but I am definitely not giving up a 1st rounder. I wouldn't give up #32 either. Honestly, I think the best the Knicks can hope for is a salary dump.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:

You're right. I'm just playing devil's advocate because, well yeah, he just might force his way out in five years.

They still have to take him and try to make it work, but small market teams like the Pelicans (and Suns) need to be more diligent with star players than they ever needed to be in the past.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

You're right. I'm just playing devil's advocate because, well yeah, he just might force his way out in five years.

They still have to take him and try to make it work, but small market teams like the Pelicans (and Suns) need to be more diligent with star players than they ever needed to be in the past.
That’s fair, I just think Zion makes their next step easier. Try to keep AD if you can, but if he’s adamant about leaving, ship him out and build around Zion. Having Zion will spark interest in the team and they aren’t under pressure to be a playoff team next year. Get a good haul of young players/picks for AD. Let some contracts expire next year, draft smart, sign some solid FA’s and they should be set up real nice to compete soon with Zion.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:57 am
Can’t imagine they’d get somebody that would help them more than Zion. Zion will be a stud right away.
What about Booker?

How about a Booker-Zion swap? How would a trade centered around them looks like?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Can’t imagine they’d get somebody that would help them more than Zion. Zion will be a stud right away.
What about Booker?

How about a Booker-Zion swap? How would a trade centered around them looks like?
Think you’d want to combine Booker and Zion. We’d be laughably low on perimeter talent.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:40 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:
What about Booker?

Think you’d want to combine Booker and Zion. We’d be laughably low on perimeter talent.
Of course is the ideal pairing, but I think he is someone who answers your question. Somebody was talking about trading Ayton for AD, combining Booker AD here and Zion-Ayton- Jrue over there, but I think New Orleans would prefer the other way around. Also talks about how keeping Zion and trading AD resets the expectations over there got me thinking about the same in Phoenix.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:
What about Booker?

Of course is the ideal pairing, but I think he is someone who answers your question. Somebody was talking about trading Ayton for AD, combining Booker AD here and Zion-Ayton- Jrue over there, but I think New Orleans would prefer the other way around. Also talks about how keeping Zion and trading AD resets the expectations over there got me thinking about the same in Phoenix.
True, booker might help them more than Zion, but I don’t think they could acquire him. Don’t think we’d do it. I’d rank Zion ahead of booker in value, but it’s a total reset on our roster and we’d probably have to wait even longer to get good perimeter talent.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:18 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:
What about Booker?

True, booker might help them more than Zion, but I don’t think they could acquire him. Don’t think we’d do it. I’d rank Zion ahead of booker in value, but it’s a total reset on our roster and we’d probably have to wait even longer to get good perimeter talent.
I think every GM in the league would be happy to trade Booker for Zion except ours.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Does Booker get a say in this? What if he would rather team up with AD and Jrue in NO than continue to be part of our seemingly endless rebuilding?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 am
Split T wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

What about Booker?

I think every GM in the league would be happy to trade Booker for Zion except ours.
With our roster? I’m not sure that’s the case. I’m not saying it would be a bad deal...we’d come out ahead talent wise, but we’d be starting over again. I don’t think this team is very far away from being good. Another good ball handler would go a long way...trading booker for Zion leaves you two ball handlers short. Also not really sure what Ayton would do, I don’t love the fit between those two. And I think other GM’s would feel similar, but maybe I’m wrong.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Split T wrote:

With our roster? I’m not sure that’s the case. I’m not saying it would be a bad deal...we’d come out ahead talent wise, but we’d be starting over again. I don’t think this team is very far away from being good. Another good ball handler would go a long way...trading booker for Zion leaves you two ball handlers short. Also not really sure what Ayton would do, I don’t love the fit between those two. And I think other GM’s would feel similar, but maybe I’m wrong.
We’d be starting over again, but we’d be starting over with Zion-Ayton, which is a good start to starting over and buys us time.

I know we’re all sick of rebuilding, but that doesn’t mean we can just decide that the rebuilding is over and we’ve built something special. We haven’t. No matter how long rebuilding takes, you’ve got to keep doing it until it succeeds. You can’t just declare the process over.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:24 am
Split T wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

We’d be starting over again, but we’d be starting over with Zion-Ayton, which is a good start to starting over and buys us time.

I know we’re all sick of rebuilding, but that doesn’t mean we can just decide that the rebuilding is over and we’ve built something special. We haven’t. No matter how long rebuilding takes, you’ve got to keep doing it until it succeeds. You can’t just declare the process over.
Are you sure? I am pretty sure we have done that at least twice during this rebuild.