Around the League: The Off-season

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: The Off-season

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:14 pm
Pelicans released Christian Wood. I’d definitely look at him to take our last roster spot.
That would be a tremendous pickup. I worry though that he may not even clear waivers. And even if he does, I think a team like Houston will try to snatch him up.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:16 pm
Split T wrote:
Pelicans released Christian Wood. I’d definitely look at him to take our last roster spot.
That would be a tremendous pickup. I worry though that he may not even clear waivers. And even if he does, I think a team like Houston will try to snatch him up.
I was just coming to post this. We should try and claim him off of waivers.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Is he on a minimum contract? I think that would be the only way we could claim him off waivers without cap space.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm
Is he on a minimum contract? I think that would be the only way we could claim him off waivers without cap space.
I think we have a couple million in cap space. Which is why we haven’t signed Kaminsky yet.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm
Yes.

I don't know where we are on the waiver claim priority list, though.

Watch the Knicks claim him. They only have 14 power forwards.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:15 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 am
There are a few actually. Rubio is a 10+ year vet with proven experience as a starter. Jones has averaged 17mpg mostly as a backup on bad TWolves teams and his shooting percentages aren't that far off from Rubio's.

We are a team in desperate need of a steady hand at PG who can make the game easier for our younger players. Jones would just be another young, relatively unproven player on the roster who we'd be hoping is good enough to start. In Memphis, he's perfect to take up minutes until Ja is ready or is a good backup if Ja is given the reins.

Maybe you can make the point of worth in terms of Rubio vs Jones on paper. But for us, Rubio is worth the contract at the moment.
Rubio really hasn't accomplished anything. So the value of his "vet experience" is negligible. He isn't the guy that leads a team or commands a lockeroom. He is a skilled passer that can't struggles to shoot. Utah has been solid, but he wasn't driving that team, and in the playoffs, Jazz fans wanted him off the court and Rockets fans were loving every second he was on the court.

The quality of the Wolves has nothing to do with assessing Jones. That is a misleading comment. Rubio played on Wolves teams that were just as bad. Rubio didn't get better when he went to Utah, he just went to a better team.
Rubio's a starting point guard in the league, I know that much. And he fits the roster we have. Starting PGs cost money, more than backups. You want to pay for a backup, you're going to get one.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
Rubio's a starting point guard in the league, I know that much. And he fits the roster we have. Starting PGs cost money, more than backups. You want to pay for a backup, you're going to get one.
QFT, Shel. I'm on the fence with Rubio. I hate his shooting percentages and I can't remember the last time a pass first PG that can't shoot well had success in the playoffs ('08 Celtics?) That said, his contract seems fmv so can't complain there. We ultimately need to bring ourselves up out of the basement before we worry about playoff success anyway. Maybe we do what Utah did and move on from Rubio once we are ready to take the next step.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

The one thing I’m encouraged by is we have more offensive talent than Utah did. Utah started 3 non shooters in Rubio, Favors, and Gobert. Additionally, they really only had Mitchell who could create his own shot on the roster. Utah was pretty desperate for both those skills and pg is generally one of the easiest positions to find players that do those things.

I think we’ll still be frustrated at times by rubio’s inability to shoot or create his own shot, but hopefully it’s lessened by the fact that we won’t be relying on him to do that often. With Booker/Oubre/Ayton and even Saric, we have guys that can score and create offense. Rubio can focus on defense and passing. And maybe with less pressure scoring wise, we can see his percentages bump up a bit.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:The one thing I’m encouraged by is we have more offensive talent than Utah did. Utah started 3 non shooters in Rubio, Favors, and Gobert. Additionally, they really only had Mitchell who could create his own shot on the roster. Utah was pretty desperate for both those skills and pg is generally one of the easiest positions to find players that do those things.

I think we’ll still be frustrated at times by rubio’s inability to shoot or create his own shot, but hopefully it’s lessened by the fact that we won’t be relying on him to do that often. With Booker/Oubre/Ayton and even Saric, we have guys that can score and create offense. Rubio can focus on defense and passing. And maybe with less pressure scoring wise, we can see his percentages bump up a bit.
You'll occasionally see a game where Rubio looks like a lights out shooter too. They are all over YouTube. It's just sometimes you get that 2-10 game that balances him out as a 40/30/85 guy. I can't figure out why his FT% is so good while has other percentages aren't.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:15 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 am
There are a few actually. Rubio is a 10+ year vet with proven experience as a starter. Jones has averaged 17mpg mostly as a backup on bad TWolves teams and his shooting percentages aren't that far off from Rubio's.

We are a team in desperate need of a steady hand at PG who can make the game easier for our younger players. Jones would just be another young, relatively unproven player on the roster who we'd be hoping is good enough to start. In Memphis, he's perfect to take up minutes until Ja is ready or is a good backup if Ja is given the reins.

Maybe you can make the point of worth in terms of Rubio vs Jones on paper. But for us, Rubio is worth the contract at the moment.
Rubio really hasn't accomplished anything. So the value of his "vet experience" is negligible. He isn't the guy that leads a team or commands a lockeroom. He is a skilled passer that can't struggles to shoot. Utah has been solid, but he wasn't driving that team, and in the playoffs, Jazz fans wanted him off the court and Rockets fans were loving every second he was on the court.

The quality of the Wolves has nothing to do with assessing Jones. That is a misleading comment. Rubio played on Wolves teams that were just as bad. Rubio didn't get better when he went to Utah, he just went to a better team.
Tyus is shooting .327 vs the Rockets for his career. I bet Rockets fans would have hated facing him in the playoffs.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea the shooting won't bother me much because we're going to have shooters around him. Let him just run the team, get others easy looks and play D. And the fact that he shoots 80% from the FT line means he's not a liability late in games. I'm also hoping Monty can cover or minimize those ofensive weaknesses by playing thru Ayton inside and Booker on perimeter.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

BBallBreakdown isn't really a fan of Westbrook, and neither am I, so I enjoyed this video.

"I just don't know how the front office and coaching staff will be able to stomach a high-volume, low-efficiency, mid-range shooter playing heavy minutes."

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

carey

Post by carey »

So, have you guys heard this thing about Morris turning down 3/41 from the Clippers on the advice of his agent? Then couldn't get more money elsewhere. Supposedly Paul wanted Morris kept off of the Clippers as they didn't want to make them better (supposedly he's one of the few guys in the league that troubles LeBron defensively.) He had to settle for 2/20 and ultimately 1/15 when he reneged on the deal with S.A.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:51 pm
So, have you guys heard this thing about Morris turning down 3/41 from the Clippers on the advice of his agent? Then couldn't get more money elsewhere. Supposedly Paul wanted Morris kept off of the Clippers as they didn't want to make them better (supposedly he's one of the few guys in the league that troubles LeBron defensively.) He had to settle for 2/20 and ultimately 1/15 when he reneged on the deal with S.A.
Aaaannnddd...this is why having LeBron owning a Agency isn't a good thing. Didn't Morris fire Paul afterwards?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:55 pm
carey wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:51 pm
Aaaannnddd...this is why having LeBron owning a Agency isn't a good thing. Didn't Morris fire Paul afterwards?
Yes, this is supposedly why he fired him. If you wanted proof that LeBron is running a shadow agency this would be it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wondering if he can sue for potential lost wages if he can prove that was Paul's intent.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I still can't believe that Paul/Westbrook trade. I absolutely hate that Rockets lineup with Westbrook and Harden both starting. I think it's going to be a disaster. It's stunning that Presti was able to rebuild and get rid of both of his maxed out stars and get so many assets back for them. They're in an awesome position to rebuild.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Yeah, I hope we make a run at him. How long does it take to clear waivers? I just did a Google search and it doesn't sound like he's been picked up yet.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:42 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Yeah, I hope we make a run at him. How long does it take to clear waivers? I just did a Google search and it doesn't sound like he's been picked up yet.
Claimed by Detroit
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:14 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:42 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Claimed by Detroit
Which means we passed on him, right?