NBA DRAFT 2019 THREAD

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA DRAFT 2019 THREAD

Post by O_Gardino »

I feel the exact same as I did when we drafted Warren / Ennis. Like, why do we need another SF, and this guard is not an nba player.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:55 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:52 pm
Between James telling us his focus is mostly going to be free agency, and acting like he's finished already and the sky is falling is unhelpful. Go ahead rant away.
Free agency doesn't have anything to do with drafting well. There isn't a rule against pursuing free agents AND making smart draft selections. There isn't a free agent acquisition that necessitates taking Cameron Johnson at 11. So I can't buy the whole "free agency will make everything better" angle you're selling.

Also, I'm not acting like he is already finished. Draft night is finished. And that is what I was commenting on.

And how on earth am I being hit with hackneyed and lazy "sky is falling" dismissive take when I was one of the few that posted in depth why Saric was such a good acquisition?

But this is how it goes here, and no matter how long things remain the same, some will continue to do the same thing. Every offseason for nearly 10 years now. The Suns do something stupid. Posters react negatively. The self-proclaimed optimists fire back with a "sky-is-falling" quip. Sigh.
Honestly, I wasn't even thinking of you INF. It wasn't even anyone in particular but a general sentiment. I agree that the draft wasn't great and just speaking about that is fine. It's when those general people speak about the entire off-season and look at one piece of it and make a blanket judgment of the whole. Sorry if you felt this was directed at you. I promise it wasn't. You always make measured posts.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:49 am
Also, neither here nor there, but if you want to feel worse about the '16 draft with Bender and Chriss, consider we traded the guy we're looking for (and tried drafting in Jerome) when we gave Sacramento Bogdanovic.
No matter how you dice it, it's a feel good story all around. ;)
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I generally trust Inf more than the so-called drafters experts. But I recognize that even Inf is not infallible.

The truth is, we don't know what will come of the moves that were made, except that Saric seems to be close to a sure thing as an average starter and quite likely, a much better than average starter if he gets back to where he was in Philly.

The nature of a weak draft is that anyone not named Zion or possibly Ja is a crap shoot. Cam Johnson can end up Rashard Lewis or Zarko. Ty can end up Nash or Casey Jacobsen. Who knows whether Jarett Culver will end up Brandon Roy or Julian Wright.

Let's see how they do in Summer League. All I know is that the Suns plugged one of their gaping holes (at PF) with a cheap, young vet that complements Ayton.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:02 am
ShelC wrote:
Also, neither here nor there, but if you want to feel worse about the '16 draft with Bender and Chriss, consider we traded the guy we're looking for (and tried drafting in Jerome) when we gave Sacramento Bogdanovic.
If you want a depressing story with many current and past Suns...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:11 am
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:

<redacted>
They're pretty liberal with their busts. Oubre Jr. and Danny Manning?
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:20 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:

<redacted>
Yeah, I know. But Manning makes me sad. Had he not gone down with that second ACL or had modern treatments been around back then, the Suns would have won at least one title. Manning. Barkley. KJ. Majerle. That was the first modern superteam created by free agency.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:20 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:

<redacted>
They list Oubre as a bust? I’m not going to even read the article in that case. He was a 14th pick, he’s 23, he’s a starter and is about to get an 8 figure yearly salary. Not even close to a bust.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Democritus wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:57 am
Who would you rather have: Casey Jacobsen or Cam Johnson?
Setting aside what we know about Jacobsen's NBA career, that actually is a good comparison. Jacobsen was drafted because the Suns were trying to fill a specific need for shooting. Ironically, I felt at the time that their were better players available.

Unfortunately for the Suns, Casey wasn't really a shooter. He was a good college scorer who really couldn't do much against NBA athletes.

I don't think Cam will have the same issue. He has better size and athleticism than Casey, and I think he is a better shooter. I honestly think he is a James Jones clone, which should mean he should have a long though likely unremarkable NBA career.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:09 am
Ty can end up Nash or Casey Jacobsen. Who knows whether Jarett Culver will end up Brandon Roy or Julian Wright.
I'll go ahead and end the suspense for you: Ty Jerome will not be as good as Steve Nash and Jarrett Culver will be better than Julian Wright.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

That writer must be on drugs...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Looks like we've added Xavier Cooks. He's...you guessed it, a 6-8 200 lb SF! From Australia, played at Winthrop (2018 Conference Player of the Year), was on the Warrior's SL team last year but didn't get much time and went to Germany to play. He's got a strong dribble drive game with impressive handles for a 6-8 swing, shots a little funky tho.

https://deanondraft.com/tag/xavier-cooks/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:53 pm
Democritus wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:57 am
Who would you rather have: Casey Jacobsen or Cam Johnson?
Setting aside what we know about Jacobsen's NBA career, that actually is a good comparison. Jacobsen was drafted because the Suns were trying to fill a specific need for shooting. Ironically, I felt at the time that their were better players available.

Unfortunately for the Suns, Casey wasn't really a shooter. He was a good college scorer who really couldn't do much against NBA athletes.

I don't think Cam will have the same issue. He has better size and athleticism than Casey, and I think he is a better shooter. I honestly think he is a James Jones clone, which should mean he should have a long though likely unremarkable NBA career.
As long as we can call Cam Champ too and he's still on the Suns, that works for me.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Add Danny Kramer, a German guard and Dakari Tucker a 6-5 SG from the GLeague to our SL roster.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:23 am
The scouting stuff is concerning and I heard the pod where they went off about our draft prep, or lack thereof, and only scouting one conference, maybe not doing homework on guys they should've been looking at. But along with scouting players also comes gathering info on other teams, who they're interested in, knowing player projections. I think taking Johnson at 11 showed a serious lack of knowledge of all the prospects and where they were slotted to go. I'm all about "take your guy if he's there" but this was a clear reach. And really, anyone who knows the draft knows that Jrs and Srs and older players typically go mid-late first round and 2nd round. If wanted older, more polished players, we could've traded back again into the 20s and taken Cam and TyJerome just the same. Clarke too. That's not "hindsight is 20/20", that's knowing the draft.
Was there a better shooter available past 11? Definitely a better candidate. Brandon Clarke didn’t seem that impressive. It definitely sucks to lack confidence im our draft. It’s pretty clear the FO has such a reputation of making bad moves that they los leverage even when they have a docent chip (Warren).

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:55 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Ty can end up Nash or Casey Jacobsen. Who knows whether Jarett Culver will end up Brandon Roy or Julian Wright.
I'll go ahead and end the suspense for you: Ty Jerome will not be as good as Steve Nash and Jarrett Culver will be better than Julian Wright.
:lol:

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

lol

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:55 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Almost certainly yes. But I remember how Julian Wright was pumped as the next big versatile thing and even how Nash was a skinny, unathletic shooter.

I wanted the Suns to pick Culver btw.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

rhylek wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:57 pm
That writer must be on drugs...
We all need a depressing laugh sometimes.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:09 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:23 am
The scouting stuff is concerning and I heard the pod where they went off about our draft prep, or lack thereof, and only scouting one conference, maybe not doing homework on guys they should've been looking at. But along with scouting players also comes gathering info on other teams, who they're interested in, knowing player projections. I think taking Johnson at 11 showed a serious lack of knowledge of all the prospects and where they were slotted to go. I'm all about "take your guy if he's there" but this was a clear reach. And really, anyone who knows the draft knows that Jrs and Srs and older players typically go mid-late first round and 2nd round. If wanted older, more polished players, we could've traded back again into the 20s and taken Cam and TyJerome just the same. Clarke too. That's not "hindsight is 20/20", that's knowing the draft.
Was there a better shooter available past 11? Definitely a better candidate. Brandon Clarke didn’t seem that impressive. It definitely sucks to lack confidence im our draft. It’s pretty clear the FO has such a reputation of making bad moves that they los leverage even when they have a docent chip (Warren).
Maybe Dylan Windler, who went #26 to CLE. Doesn't come with the plus of 'high release' that Can has, or his alleged potential to play PF, but health is not questionable.